The "437" Superior Ambulance - two questions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: The "437" Superior Ambulance - two questions

Re: The "437" Superior Ambulance - two questions 4 years, 2 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
As far as I know there are bulbs that flash on their own that have a special filament in them that will heat up to a certain point and then the filament seperates therefore breaking the current and turning off the bulb. Same as they use for a set of Christmas lights that flash. I would also assume that if it is not in the bulb that there is a circuit that does the same thing somewhere inside the vehicle. I have never come across either with any of the Ambulances I have. Just the regular bulb (which I sell) and it is activated by the cam on the rear axle.

Re: The "437" Superior Ambulance - two questions 4 years, 2 months ago #17

Gold Boarder
My believe is, that the mechanism works exactly as you described, but is embedded in the battery case, not the bulb itself. 

I evaluate the hint in the instructions either as a (understandable) commercial tactics, to bring a customer back to the traders shop, or the bulb really has a certain specification to react in time to the changing signal (inertia?)

Re: The "437" Superior Ambulance - two questions 4 years, 2 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
From memory the bulb had Three filaments, the Third being heat sensitive and once hot would move, then cool and move back to it's original position until it got hot again and moved away again and in doing so create a basic switching process. How the electrical current was applied I don't know, we would have to get some of these old bulbs and try them out on a work bench to see them actually flashing.

Rollerman.

Re: The "437" Superior Ambulance - two questions 4 years, 2 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
Ok guys, basicly there are two types: the first, white and red body, with the flash on/off operated by an oval part on the rear axle: this operates the switch on/off system of the light.

The second system was done on the later white and blue body. The axle does not operate anything, the electrical system had it's own on/off switch incorcorated.

Re: The "437" Superior Ambulance - two questions 4 years, 2 months ago #20

Gold Boarder
Hello Keesie, received response from the supplier, you recommended.

Unfortunately, it is not part of his range.

Give it another try...
Last Edit: 4 years, 2 months ago by Insightman.

Re: The "437" Superior Ambulance - two questions 4 years, 2 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
Keep searching. Strange thing is, I have about 25 (!) of those oldies in my boxes. About 20 of them are the early type red/white body. With most of them the battery box is gone, but the switch is still present.  On the later type, which has a bigger hole in the bottom, there is nothing left. The ones I restored are all of the early type, so I guess the later one was less sold.

Re: The "437" Superior Ambulance - two questions 4 years, 2 months ago #22

Gold Boarder
I tend to believe that the red tinted hood over the bulb is a phantom and in reality is a red tinted bulb. Looking forward to someone supply a makro photo to proof the opposite!
  • Page: