Red Marlin Rambler conversion
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Red Marlin Rambler conversion

Red Marlin Rambler conversion 4 years, 3 months ago #1

Gold Boarder
Hello,
would a (repro) roof rack, foreseen for the blue Marlin Rambler fit to a red one, or are they differently "pre-manufactured"?
Best regards
Wolfgang
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by Insightman.

Re: Red Marlin Rambler conversion 4 years, 3 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
You ask many hard questions!  

I have the red Marlin, so I am not sure.  Maybe you could stick it on with same two sided tape or something not permanent?  Can't tell if the original is glued or riveted?

Re: Red Marlin Rambler conversion 4 years, 3 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Everyone knows the blue one from the Kayak set has holes in the roof to hold the rack. It can be seen through the opened doors. The red one does not have holes, as can be seen also through the opened doors. To save energy it can also be seen from the outside.

Re: Red Marlin Rambler conversion 4 years, 3 months ago #4

Gold Boarder
Thanks - cannot compare, do only own two red ones.

So - better not to ruin one...

Re: Red Marlin Rambler conversion 4 years, 3 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Better not to drill holes in the red one. It will be hard to determine the exact spots, so better to file off the stands of the roof rack, and glue it on. The roofrack is NOT rivited on anyway, but sticks through roof and glazing. Originally it was probably pressed into the holes.

Re: Red Marlin Rambler conversion 4 years, 2 months ago #6

Gold Boarder
Looking for the best "non permanent" method to apply the roof rack with the possibility to demount without any trace and without damage to the red paint....

Re: Red Marlin Rambler conversion 4 years, 2 months ago #7

Expert Boarder
Maybe not the answer your looking for but I did this'

I took the roofrack from this incomplete model and taped it with doubleside tape to the blue Marlin that came with only abroken roofrack.

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Red Marlin Rambler conversion 4 years, 2 months ago #8

Gold Boarder
What I could think of is a solution with magnets / magnetic tape integrated in the carrier and underneath the roof of the Rambler...

Re: Red Marlin Rambler conversion 4 years, 2 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
So no drilling, gluing, masking or taping. Chewing gum maybe?

Re: Red Marlin Rambler conversion 4 years, 2 months ago #10

Zamak does not hold a magnet so it must double sided tape

Re: Red Marlin Rambler conversion 4 years, 2 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
There is a sticky stuff that holds plastic cards in letters ,it is clear and when you roll it off the card there is no damage.

It is tacky but does not set
Last Edit: 4 years, 2 months ago by LUFF.

Re: Red Marlin Rambler conversion 4 years, 2 months ago #12

Gold Boarder
Was aware of the issue with Zamak.

Do own some tiny, but strong square magnets from slotcar engines.

Did think about embedding one in the carrier and putting one underneath the roof of the rambler...

Re: Red Marlin Rambler conversion 4 years, 2 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
That may work.
I know of the clear sticky stuff LUFF is talking about. I buy large double boxes of Cheerios, Multi-grain and the two boxes are held together with that clear sticky duff. It sometimes takes the paper along with it if your not careful when separating the boxes. That comes off the stick stuff though.

There is also a putty type that can be used to put pictures and posters up on Drywall wall etc. Look for a photo grade or museum grade at your local Artists shop. Maybe a good toy shop. If you buy the cheap stuff it may leave a mark or discolor the paint. I used some cheap stuff and it discolored the wall and the poster over time. Seems it had linseed oil in it. Not Good.
Last Edit: 4 years, 2 months ago by Nobleco.
  • Page: