Corgi Toys tinplate clockwork vehicles - are they all fakes?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corgi Toys tinplate clockwork vehicles - are they all fakes?

Corgi Toys tinplate clockwork vehicles - are they all fakes? 4 years, 3 months ago #1

Gold Boarder
Hello,

from time to time I see those tinplate clockwork vehicles on sale, declared as Corgi Toys.

They look a bit like from the Mettoy aera.

On the other hand, from the picures, the look and feel is a bit like: Made in India and to come along in homebrew, aged fantasy boxes.

What do you think?

Best regards

Wolfgang
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by Insightman.

Re: Corgi Toys tinplate clockwork vehicles - are they all fakes? 4 years, 3 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
You know they are fakes.

Re: Corgi Toys tinplate clockwork vehicles - are they all fakes? 4 years, 3 months ago #3

Gold Boarder
They look like aged Lehmann remakes - what's the name of the manufacturer?

Re: Corgi Toys tinplate clockwork vehicles - are they all fakes? 4 years, 3 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
The boxes have all the water stains in same places.
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by Keesie.

Re: Corgi Toys tinplate clockwork vehicles - are they all fakes? 4 years, 3 months ago #5

Gold Boarder
Most recent one I found:

Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by Insightman.

Re: Corgi Toys tinplate clockwork vehicles - are they all fakes? 4 years, 3 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
There is a toy dealer who buys and sells vintage tinplate toys put into non original boxes and the boxes are always designed like a large Corgi Toys box. I don't know if he is trying to suggest the toys are all Corgi or if his business name is Corgi Toys, which must be breaking a copyright or registraton somehow.

Rollerman.

Re: Corgi Toys tinplate clockwork vehicles - are they all fakes? 4 years, 3 months ago #7

Gold Boarder
Have seen them sold via real (non online) auction houses, declared as "Corgi Toys"...

Re: Corgi Toys tinplate clockwork vehicles - are they all fakes? 4 years, 3 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
This is why this forum is invaluable to us collectors.  We can gain real knowledge from each other and learn what is real and what is not!  Thank you all!

Re: Corgi Toys tinplate clockwork vehicles - are they all fakes? 4 years, 3 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
The boxes have no damage to the edges and no rips, but look faded, and have small stains all over. The stains have a repeating pattern. The toys themselves are done the same way: new, painted and then paint rubbed off, a little water to make them rusty, that's it.

As we know  the Corgi bible mentions the Mettoy clockwork toys before the Corgi period, and the toys meant by Wolfgang are not mentioned in the book. I have seen about 10 different ones, cars, bikes, carts in combination with horses. The average price with box is about 30 euros.

Re: Corgi Toys tinplate clockwork vehicles - are they all fakes? 4 years, 3 months ago #10

Gold Boarder
Did not realize, the listing in TGBOC was complete, always thought the shown models are just a snapshot of the total range...

Re: Corgi Toys tinplate clockwork vehicles - are they all fakes? 4 years, 3 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
The era of the Corgi range is not complete, in the way that not every variation is pictured. If not pictured, it is mentioned that it is not. The lists in the rear of the book seem complete, but do not mention the variations. The Mettoy era is not my field, but I pressume, because there were less models done compared the Corgi era, all models are in the book.

About the Corgi variations, the best book is the Edward Force one. This not only shows the models in line, in small, in colour, but also mentions all the wheel/colour and what have you variations.
  • Page: