Corgi No.241 Ghia L6.4 unusual Picture
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corgi No.241 Ghia L6.4 unusual Picture

Corgi No.241 Ghia L6.4 unusual Picture 4 years, 3 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
I spoke about this picture some time ago , I bought it at a toyfair many years ago& the seller told me that it was either made for a toy shop or for the Corgi factory office wall. It is the Ghia L6.4 cut in half & placed on a baise background, the bonnet is not with it but the boot is. If you look closely you will see that it has the badge accessories & whitewall tyres on it, making it seem that it was an advertising piece. If anyone can help out I would like to know as it has always been a mystery to me but it was something that I had to buy as it is unusual. On the back of the frame it has a sticker with model name & a stamp of the framers / maker? Gibson & Cahill, Chelmsford Essex.

The car has been factory cut as the cut is precise.

I have to confess that although this is in my collection , this one of the very few Corgi models that i don't have... will have to look for one in decent condition.

Re: Corgi No.241 Ghia L6.4 unusual Picture 4 years, 3 months ago #2

Must be something really special. I don't think a private person would do that just for fun. So I presume it is done in the factory.
O

Re: Corgi No.241 Ghia L6.4 unusual Picture 4 years, 3 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Andy, that is amazing! Very rare, never seen a thing like that before. Never heard anyone talking about it either.

It seems an exact cut in the middle indeed. The device to flip open the hood is the round thing in the centre of the engine. Pressing the front wheels deeply in, makes the pin in the engine come out, and the hood opens. The wheels are bigger than the factory model. They not only left he hood out, but also half the dog on the rear shelf............
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by Keesie.

Re: Corgi No.241 Ghia L6.4 unusual Picture 4 years, 3 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Many thanks, glad I found it out , it needs to be shown. The wheels are the correct Corgi size but as i said they have the "whitewall" tyre & hub cap sticker accessories on them.

Re: Corgi No.241 Ghia L6.4 unusual Picture 4 years, 3 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Ah, I get it about the wheels.

Re: Corgi No.241 Ghia L6.4 unusual Picture 4 years, 3 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
It may well be a unique item, copying what Lesney did some Years back with a few Models of Yesteryears. I have also seen the odd Airfix kit mounted the same way.

If other examples could be found with the same car or other cars, then I would say they were done on a commercial basis for retail in gift and novelty shops, but I would be very surprised to find out if Corgi had done it, especially using a Wooden frame, more likely it would be a plastic frame a bit like the one used by 'INPACT' for their relief models.

While I own the above kit, I sadly don't have a picture of it out of it's box, but it is a relief model mounted in a picture frame, all waiting to be painted with model paints.

Rollerman.

Re: Corgi No.241 Ghia L6.4 unusual Picture 4 years, 3 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
That is something special plus Corgi did chop their models in half for demo purposes etc plus with it being mounted it must have adorned somebodys wall Mr Cleemput perhaps?

Re: Corgi No.241 Ghia L6.4 unusual Picture 4 years, 3 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
I see it was done in Chelmsford, I would of thought that if Corgi had i done it would have been in Northampton or South Wales?

Re: Corgi No.241 Ghia L6.4 unusual Picture 4 years, 3 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
The fact it is made in Chelmsford makes it confusing , I have googled the maker but they are long gone & can't find any history, they may have framed these models for toy companies?

Re: Corgi No.241 Ghia L6.4 unusual Picture 4 years, 3 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Maybe it would be worth it to contact the/a Chelmsford local historical archive to find out more about the maker. I'm very biased here, since I'm heavily involved with local history myself and know, that if a member of the public asks us about some obscure, long gone local company, we can almost always dig out a ton of info and photos.
  • Page: