Project of storing my treasures in a specific way, or stupid idea???
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Project of storing my treasures in a specific way, or stupid idea???

Project of storing my treasures in a specific way, or stupid idea??? 4 years, 3 months ago #1

Gold Boarder
Hello dear all,

I am looking for advise on storing my treasures in a specific way.

Hope I can describe accordingly:

I am thinking of having a shelf made by a carpenter in form of a matrix.

In order to store 300 cars, let's say a matrix of 20 vertical and 10 horizontal "cabinets",

each one like a garage with the car being stored so that one looks at the front of a car.

The seperators to be used for the description of the car.

Cars to be stored in sequence of the Corgi internal number, open spaces for cars not yet owned, but going to purchase.

Each cabin appr. 5cmx5cmx11cm

LED illuminations in a way that each "garage" is illuminated from the back.

Has somebody already realised this kind of storage - or is that a stupid idea and I should stick to the typical standard solutions?

Best regards

Wolfgang
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by Insightman.

Re: Project of storing my treasures in a specific way, or stupid idea??? 4 years, 3 months ago #2

That is a great idea Wolfgang. A real Schreinermeister would be able to make such a cabinet. In my opinion, you have to think about a few things:
1. A large size cabinet including cars weighs a lot, perhaps it is better to make a few smaller ones that you can stack on top of each other
2. The cabinet is not dustfree, so small compartments need to be dusted regularly, how are you going to do that.
3. About the visibility of the cars, wouldn't it be too dark even with LED lights.

There are perspex displays available, browse the net
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: Project of storing my treasures in a specific way, or stupid idea??? 4 years, 3 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
I thought of something like that, but it might work with Matchbox models of the same size, certainly not with Corgi's and Dinky's. I think Jan is quite an expert in storing his Dinky's.

What I do is, I have two big wooden cupboards, with shelves that can be moved up and down. I place small wooden lugs at the sides of the 'holders', so I have the perfect height with each shelf. I have the same principle with my other cupboards. I have a CD, books and stereo-equipment cupboard, each shelf on the perfect height.

Re: Project of storing my treasures in a specific way, or stupid idea??? 4 years, 3 months ago #4

Wolfgang,

You can also try this link, we discussed cabinets there

www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=c...d=71480&Itemid=0
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: Project of storing my treasures in a specific way, or stupid idea??? 4 years, 3 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
For ideas, search for show us your display Cabinets or just Display Cabinets. That will give you some ideas.
Dusting is a pain in the A___ and you should put a dust free clear door of Plexiglass/perspex, Glass or fiberglass over the front. My cabinet has over 150 models in it and has 2 glass doors, is made of white cedar for the most part and has an adjustable shelf on blocks in the back half of most shelves to display the rear models over top of the front models. I built is myself.
Being a carpenter myself for about 30 years, I would tell you that the cabinet you suggest is buildable, but will be expensive. The lighting probably won't do what you want it to so you need to bring it up to the front of the cabinet to shine on the front of each car. Place it behind a drop section that is attached to the top of each compartment, at the front. Make hinged doors for the front. Will not be cheap and it will be heavy. The face of the drop for the lighting can be used to place model info onto.

Re: Project of storing my treasures in a specific way, or stupid idea??? 4 years, 3 months ago #6

Gold Boarder
Hello,

thanks a lot, so far.

regarding material and cost:

What raw material and thickness would be appropriate for my project?

What would be the to be estimated cost broken down per stored car?

Best regards

Wolfgang

Re: Project of storing my treasures in a specific way, or stupid idea??? 4 years, 3 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Material could be anything from plywood to solid stock to plastic or even sheet metal. cost per car??? I have no idea. Cost of the display could be up to $500 or even more or as low as about $100 depending on what material. I would think the sides could be 1/4" plywood or even plastic but the shelves would have to be at least 3/8" to support the models properly with out sagging over time. if each space is to be 5cm and a half cm piece between that would make it about 60cm wide by about 120cm tall. or about 2 feet by 4 feet. Lots of cutting and slotting to make it all go together. Make it like the cardboard in a wine box of 12 bottles. Each piece slideing into another to make a grid pattern. Surround it with a solid box on the outside and put individual strips on each top. That would make it so the holes would have to be larger for that stip to not interfere with the models so maybe a 6cm tall opening. That would make it 20cm taller or about 4 foot 9inches tall.

Re: Project of storing my treasures in a specific way, or stupid idea??? 4 years, 3 months ago #8

Gold Boarder
Hello,

had thought about a grid system, as well. Once programmed, such cutouts should be easy to realize by a real professional...

By the way, does somebody here own a Dinky illuminated rotary display?

Best regards

Wolfgang

Re: Project of storing my treasures in a specific way, or stupid idea??? 4 years, 3 months ago #9

Gold Boarder
A safe home for at least 64 of my treasures... - unless you rotate too fast...

Re: Project of storing my treasures in a specific way, or stupid idea??? 4 years, 3 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Wow, those are very nice displays! They were obviously meant for display in shops.

Re: Project of storing my treasures in a specific way, or stupid idea??? 4 years, 3 months ago #11

Gold Boarder
Display is quite hughe and heavy

Had planned to take it to toy fairs as an eye catcher, but all in all a bit fragile and tricky to remove the dust protection without damage to the (aged) material...

Re: Project of storing my treasures in a specific way, or stupid idea??? 4 years, 3 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Great Corgi Tower!!!   I can see how it would be hard to move!

Re: Project of storing my treasures in a specific way, or stupid idea??? 4 years, 3 months ago #13

Gold Boarder
In theory, one can dismantle it for transport, but mine has stuck together so tightly that I decided not risking to destroy it by applying high force...

Re: Project of storing my treasures in a specific way, or stupid idea??? 4 years, 3 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Nice tower display and shows you models off very nicely. Not something I would be moving around much and certainly not taking it to toy fairs. Too much risk of damaging it. Thanks for showing.
  • Page: