Corgi 490 VW Breakdown restored
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corgi 490 VW Breakdown restored

Corgi 490 VW Breakdown restored 4 years, 5 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
I finished a VW Breakdown today. If ever you are after one, most important is that the tool lid is still present, and that the rear hook mechanism works.

The model was originally done in white or yellowish, like this one. 

Last Edit: 4 years, 5 months ago by Keesie.

Re: Corgi 490 VW Breakdown restored 4 years, 5 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
No need to show you the dismanteling, because I did another one last year.

Examining this one most of the paint was still present, apart from heavy damage to the roof. So the roof was handpainted, the rest of the paint was untouched. New stickers were applied. Four old tyres were glued in the back to fill up the gaps in the red plastic. The tyres are only HALF ones. As you don't see the part where they are in the gap, this part was cut off. Besides, f I would have left them complete, they would not fit in.

Re: Corgi 490 VW Breakdown restored 4 years, 5 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
I have my original from when I was a kid , it is missing the hook , toolbox lid & front wheels I replaced it with another more complete a few years ago, i think i posted on my Corgi topic , well done with this resto looks great

Re: Corgi 490 VW Breakdown restored 4 years, 5 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
The tools look really spectacular, but it is actually ONE chrome plate, and a red plastic one on top with holes in it!

Re: Corgi 490 VW Breakdown restored 4 years, 5 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
The rear winding mechanism is really good, and difficult to explain. An axle is clamped between two parts. In the axle is a spring, which presses the axle to one side. On the axle are little cogs, gripping into cogs placed on the frame. This can only be seen if you press the tyre, which functions as a sort of handgrip, to one side. Doing that you release the axle, and you can rotate the axle by moving the tyre. So you unwind the wire and hook.

The structure is partly held together by the rear of the model itself, but also the two parts are pressed together. With this particular model the two parts became loose, and therefore the axle had the tendency to pop out.

Re: Corgi 490 VW Breakdown restored 4 years, 5 months ago #6

Thanks Kees, that is a beautiful van.
You did Corgi proud in bringing it back to life

Re: Corgi 490 VW Breakdown restored 4 years, 5 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Theo, the model itself was not such a big thing to do, but the rear part gave some trouble. 

So, there was some space between the two parts holding the winding mechanism. The two parts are slightly pressed outwards by the spring as well. Gluing the two parts together does not help. The solution is this:

Between the 'walls' of the model and the two parts holding the mechanism there is a little space, see arrows. I cut two aluminium parts and pressed/glued them in place. This way the gap between the tyres (ha ha...) is minor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Corgi 490 VW Breakdown restored 4 years, 5 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
And even more play value it gives to have a competition on how long the cable is.......

Re: Corgi 490 VW Breakdown restored 4 years, 5 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
So, how long are your cables?

Re: Corgi 490 VW Breakdown restored 4 years, 5 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Don't tell me (who?) no one here has this model........

Re: Corgi 490 VW Breakdown restored 4 years, 5 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I don't have one.

Re: Corgi 490 VW Breakdown restored 4 years, 5 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Well, as I am the only one who has one then, I will enroll the cable of one of my other ones tomorrow. Give me some time though.......

Re: Corgi 490 VW Breakdown restored 4 years, 5 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
The winner.

Re: Corgi 490 VW Breakdown restored 4 years, 5 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
It took 4.5 minutes to enroll. Length is 137 centimeters.

Re: Corgi 490 VW Breakdown restored 4 years, 5 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Excellent superb brilliant fantastic marvelous indeed.
  • Page: