Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!

TOPIC: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #46

Platinum Boarder
I decided to go to this company because I have the same guy guiding the proces, so he knows exactly what I want. Together we decided on the kind of carton, and everyting is printed on A3, which a lot of private computers cannot handle.

Besides the simple straight boxes like the 441, which can be folded flat to send, I also do the panorama boxes and dioramas. To give you an example: several members of a different forum were looking for the Dinky nr 107, which is the Mini Stripey box. This was never done before as a repro, a template not available. Don't ask me how it was done, but I found pictures on the net, and managed to construct it. It is a bigger outer box, with inside diorama, a street/platform with shopwindow and road. Because there were at least three members who wanted it, the price came to about 35 euros each.

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #47

Expert Boarder
Keesie wrote:
Theo, Bill's/Callshadow's business has not been taken over by someone specific after his passing in 2007. Bill made it an art to do boxes, and I don't think anyone can be compared to him.

I volunteered to make a trans-o-lite card earlier in this thread, but after my enthousiastic gesture there seemed to be no interest, so that put me off. 

I said I was sorry once and also emailed you.......what else must I do here?

I got screwed out of $20+ now on that first card, they guy says he will make it right, but who  knows if that will work?

I'm ready to just buy a REPRO 441 box and leave it at that, I really wanted the TOL card, bc I thought it would really *pop* in my collection, but like I said I don't have $200/$300 to buy a real one, I would rather buy some mint boxed Tekno VW's at that price.

Tom 

Keesie wrote:

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #48

Platinum Boarder
Hereby some examples,

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #49

Expert Boarder
Ohh and when it comes to boxes I WILL PAY the extra $5+to a normal price  if the box is a very fine  one. (like those Repro Marklin boxes in Germany) They are close to $40 each with shipping and everything, but they are top quality.

Tom

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #50

Expert Boarder
Keesie wrote:
Hereby some examples,

Wow!

They are nice, I'm sure you have a 441 Box? Wish I could find someone to make the Tekno "Herbie" The Love Bug window box.....as a Repro, that would be a seller.
A Repro was made like 25 years ago in Germany, but they all sold out in less then 6 months, never to come back again.

Tom

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #51

Platinum Boarder
Again, I don't have a problem when someone wants a box from someone else. When looking for an original one or very good repro, expect to pay a certain price. I suppose there are sellers on Ebay and such, who have a good supply of boxes. I don't, I think I have about 50-60 ones on carton only. Having only one made by the printshop means a higher price.

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #52

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for that compliment Tom. Again, it is fun to do, but I do not consider myself a boxmaker really. Also, by your words, you want a very high quality, and the boxes might look good in the pictures, the carton is a bit thinner than you expect. This can be solved by gluing a second layer onto the rear, but then the boxes are actually too thick, thicker than an original. Now you probably realise the carton I use is not really weak, but not the best. You can also see the sides ten to stay open a bit. I solve this by cutting the flaps 'longer'. Also the base of a diorama, where a model stands on like a Bond Aston, a Batmobile or a Stripey, tend to bend down because of the wight of the model. I always fill up the base with carton, so it will stay straight. Most repro boxes are not used to put models in and take out, but are meant to place the model on, and that's it. As long as you don't touch them, they can pass as original.

Yes, I have the Toblerone. Sold on disk the template is out of proportion mostly. By head it should be about 9 centimeters long, 4 high, 3.5 wide.
Last Edit: 4 years, 7 months ago by Keesie.

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #53

Platinum Boarder
The Tekno 819 Herbie box can be quite easily constructed looking at this:

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #54

Expert Boarder
See, I'm all NEW to this toy collectors forum thing, I collect and enjoy any vintage VW Oval Window toy *because of my 1:1 car, which I still have to post here* And also VW Buses I loved as a kid (That's where the 441 falls in) and with all the toys I have, (a small collection under 250 so far) I have always tried to buy the best most mint toys and always TRY to get the box each time, or keep searching.
My 441 is like minty/mint minus with just a small brush or two and a chip in the roof drip rail.

As if my toy is tops, well I would like the box to be too, if it has to go out to a printer, then I would PAY someone the extra money if they have the capacity to do this?

I'm all NEW to this reproduction of boxes and stuff, I have a mint/near mint Tekno box I could photograph or I also have access to LOTS of photos of the Tekno 819H "Herbie" box.

I'm sure all my VW friends would want that box and if it could by made very well, under $30 each, hell I would BUY them for Christmas presents for my friends.
(It's really hard to buy something for a VW collector when they have like 800+ toys, hahahahaha!)

Tom
Last Edit: 4 years, 7 months ago by BlauchenL331.

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #55

Platinum Boarder
When an original box like the Herbie can be folded out, or at least be pictured of all parts, I reckon, when you want 1, the price would be around 25 euros, the second for 20, and the third one for 15 euros. Meaning, 3 for 60 euros, so 20 each. The ones after that would probably be around 15 euros.........

Hereby a picture of my restored 441, with a WRONG box.

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #56

Platinum Boarder
Kees, do you still have a link to Bill's web site? I lost it a year or so ago and can not find it. His daughter may have taken it down by now thought, even though it was to be a tribute to him and his love of his toys and his box making. He made almost any box if he could get his hands on one.

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #57

Platinum Boarder
Jim, Callshadow's site no longer exists. His daughter had it still up for a few years, but it is gone. His postings are still on Gary's, but all pictures are gone too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #58

Platinum Boarder
Keesie, is there anything in here useful to you...

matchboxperu.com/new/index.php?PHPSESSID...ni00&topic=259.0

Rollerman.

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #59

Platinum Boarder
Wow, that is lot of boxes.

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #60

Platinum Boarder
Keesie wrote:
Jim, Callshadow's site no longer exists. His daughter had it still up for a few years, but it is gone. His postings are still on Gary's, but all pictures are gone too.

I thought as much as I lost the link and went searching but could not find it. Too bad but how long do you keep a site like that up and at what cost. Best she took it down. Sure was a good site and too bad about Gary's too.