Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!

TOPIC: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 9 months ago #31

Platinum Boarder
Not sure whether the group has a policy on 'naming and shaming' but there are some real rogues on E Bay, and some really great traders and private sellers. Generally I have been fortunate over the years to have had a mainly good experience and some real high points.

However if there is someone taking the 'Michael' (polite version!) then should we not share this?

Thoughts, comments, policy?

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 9 months ago #32

Expert Boarder
Well, I have heard from the designer of the card and HE WANTS TO GET IT STRAIGHT and was very understanding, he must certainly has gotten the data wrong.

Corky, can you write me with the specs in MM please and also add a few photos of the toy placed into the card, so we can get an idea of how the toy sits in the card to collect the light?

I'm rather happy to at least have heard a pos + reaction to my depressed email.

Thanks to all so far, trying to get a correct better/best reproduction TOL card.

Tom
Last Edit: 4 years, 9 months ago by BlauchenL331.

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 9 months ago #33

What a shame the card was crap.
Hopefully you can sort it out with the seller

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 9 months ago #34

Platinum Boarder
Just seen this post. I will let you know data asap.

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 9 months ago #35

Platinum Boarder
Just want to add something here for the benefit of Stephane ("Corky"), that he should not be tempted to send the original card to the Guy making the repo and for the protection of what Stephane has, he should have any photos taken of his original, marked to protect the copyright of the pictures and what appears on them.

This does seem to be a bit of a 'Kiljoy' situation, but as I see it, a new version of the display card is going to be made using information supplied by Stephane, that may include better pictures and correct dimensions etc, so if the new version is successful. the Guy will be selling them to further collectors for Monetary gain and poor old Stephane loses out!

Just wanted that made clear and it would be a nice gesture from the Guy, by making a decent One-off payment to Stephane for his troubles and valuable information.

Rollerman.

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 8 months ago #36

Expert Boarder
I'm working out all the specs with the guy, no one will be sending any originals to anyone.

I just want this to work out, while I cannot afford a $250/300+ piece of cardboard, I just want to display my 441 in an original way, trust me  I will make sure that anyone who has helped me will end up with a successful? New version of the card, if at all possible?

Tom
Last Edit: 4 years, 8 months ago by BlauchenL331.

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 8 months ago #37

Expert Boarder
While I have the attention of the Corgi crowd here, I have a question about REPRODUCTION BOXES?

*Photo is not my toy*
Can someone tell me who makes the BEST Reproduction 441 box?
(or if any one has an Original one that they would like to sell, please let me know) 
I haven't been able to acquire an original for my minty toy, so I would like to know which REPOP is the closest to the original.

Tom
Last Edit: 4 years, 8 months ago by BlauchenL331.

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 8 months ago #38

Tom,

I bought some boxes off him and was very impressed with the quality He makes also Corgi boxes

www.dinkyboxes.com/

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 8 months ago #39

Platinum Boarder
It is not because my neighbor paints sunflowers which the quotation of Van-Ghog is going to lower.

So no problem with that. And I'm a dangerous communist who hates money questions.

I will have time this week-end to make pictures and notify every sizes.
Last Edit: 4 years, 8 months ago by Corky.

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 8 months ago #40

Expert Boarder
Corky wrote:
It is not because my neighbor paints sunflowers which the quotation of Van-Ghog is going to lower.

So no problem with that. And I'm a dangerous communist who hates money questions.

I will have time this week-end to make pictures and notify every sizes.

Thank You very much!

Tom

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 8 months ago #41

Expert Boarder
RoutemasterNL wrote:
Tom,

I bought some boxes off him and was very impressed with the quality He makes also Corgi boxes

www.dinkyboxes.com/

Ok, I will try him.....

Tom

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 8 months ago #42

Platinum Boarder
I have heard DRRB makes good boxes. The box maker I used copied original boxes and they looked like original boxes. Cardboard weight was correct and the printing you could not tell from an original. I have 4 of his boxes here but unfortunately, he passed away in 2007 of a massive heart attach. Some here may remember him from Gary's drive in, Call Shadow was his handle, Bill Reeve was his name, British.
I think you might want to talk to Keesie about this box. He may have it already and he uses a print shop to do his printing.

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 8 months ago #43

Jim,
I am sure I bought the boxes somewhere around 2012 off him. Perhaps someone else took over his business

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 8 months ago #44

Platinum Boarder
Theo, Bill's/Callshadow's business has not been taken over by someone specific after his passing in 2007. Bill made it an art to do boxes, and I don't think anyone can be compared to him.

Thanks Jim, for placing me here as 'box-maker'. I volunteered to make a trans-o-lite card earlier in this thread, but after my enthousiastic gesture there seemed to be no interest, so that put me off. Also I mentioned quite a while ago what my rules are in this, but I guess there is no harm in talking about the subject again, because new members came in. 

I have most Corgi boxes from 1956-1970 as templates in my files. A lot already existed on disks, a lot did not exist. I managed to reconstruct a lot of boxes myself, and damaged, out of proportion and blurred ones were also reconstructed. Boxes from friends and others were added. Bear in mind most if not all Corgi boxes from that period do not have actual photo's, but drawings of the vehicles on the box.

Some people ask me to send a template or disk, but I do not do that, because I can honestly say I put a lot of work in something, not to give it away and spread by a push of a button. End of part 1......

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 8 months ago #45

Platinum Boarder
I might as well state again how it works. When someone wants a box from me, let's say a simple one like the 441 Toblerone, I look if I already have it on carton. If so, it will be approx 4 euros. That is about half the amount what others on the net ask. Do NOT expect the same quality though. So, DON'T COME TO ME IF YOU WANT A BOX THAT LOOKS LIKE AN ORIGINAL. Just find someone else with a higher price.

When I need boxes, I go to a printing company nearby, and I only go there about once a year, so I will announce this, as it is not worth it to go there for one box only. The company and I agreed on a certain thickness of white carton, white on both sides. It is not as thick and sturdy as an original, but hey, the price says it all. I pay the company a certain amount, and the more boxes of the same, the cheaper it gets. ONE box that I have to have printed there is 7 euros. The second one is 4, the third one 3 euros. So let's suppose there are three people wanting the same box, then it gets cheaper. End of part 2.....
Last Edit: 4 years, 8 months ago by Keesie.