Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!

TOPIC: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card

Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #1

Expert Boarder
Hello Volks!

We all had toys we WISHED we had as kids, one of my favorite toys I didn't get as a child was the Corgi 441 Volkswagen *Trans-O-Lite* "Toblerone" Swiss Chocolate Panel Van, it was dead-stocked out when? 1967? Or something like that?

First year I can remember buying toys was 1968/9 and the 441 was already gone by then, even at the world famous Renninger's Flea Market in Adamstown, Pennsylvania, a mint boxed 441 was $8 to $10 BOXED which was way out of my price range as a little  kid to afford to  buy when my parents were finding deadstock Matchbox and Hotwheels toys for 25 to 40 cents each. $10 was just silly money to pay for an old toy when all the others were so cheap......

Finally a few years ago after a few poorer condition toys, I found my near perfect "Toblerone" VW, sans box (but I will find one someday) and I even photographed it for my 2015 Christmas Card. (above)

But this thread isn't really about the toy itself as more the process and how it was originally marketed the *Trans-O-Lite* gimmick the worlds first if very crude FIBER OPTIC toy, with working headlights!

Through a few clear plastic tubes inside the toy and a lens above on the roof and two cut out headlights the available light from above the toy would shine through the headlights, pretty neat huh?
(In WW2 the German Wehrmacht had a night sniper scope that worked off the same *starlight* process, so I wouldn't doubt it came out of a similar process, but that's another story for another website....)

So 1963 is the date on the Corgi poster-streamer (toy store) and what I've posted about the *Trans-O-Lite* Table Display Card, which held inside one of the toys with a small lamp positioned over it to create the desired headlight effect. (at that angle even strong celling lights would reflect through the toy)

MY BIG QUESTION IS??????

Why hasn't anyone made this display card as a Repro so all of us with *Trans-O-Lite* toys can enjoy our toys just like in 1963?

"Boy oh boy" why don't some of you Corgi collectors chime in about this item and the chance of a *marked* Repro for production?

It would make a great gift for a Corgi collector too.

Tom
Last Edit: 4 years, 7 months ago by BlauchenL331.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Kessie may be able to do something like this.

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #3

Expert Boarder
Nobleco wrote:
Kessie may be able to do something like this.

Kessie?  Can someone let him know to look this over please.

Tom

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
I sent him an email.

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Hi guys, first of all a sort of appologies for not being more active in here. There is no particular reason for that. I still do the things I usually do, hobbywise, namely restoring. I guess that it is just a matter of having shown here all the models in 'my' range, basicly Corgi 1956-1970. 

Luckily Jim sent me a private mail about this thread.

Tom, thanks for all the info and pictures of this fold-out card. To be honest I never seen it before! I guess it is rarely seen or used, because firstly there were shop- or shopwindow displays, which were not for sale. Second, most collectors will place their models with a box beloning to that model.

In the meantime I found enough material to compose such a card. I could make it, or anyone else can, if there is enough demand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Well, I thought my posting would at least give a reply from Tom wanting a repro display card, but I guess I collected those pictures for nothing.

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Just noticed this thread. I don't have boxes for my Commer or Riviera so these cards would be cool for display. However, you may not want to put too much effort in Keesie as they are available on the bay. See item number 251944641036

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #8

Expert Boarder
Tick wrote:
Just noticed this thread. I don't have boxes for my Commer or Riviera so these cards would be cool for display. However, you may not want to put too much effort in Keesie as they are available on the bay. See item number 251944641036

Thanks Tick!

They did a pretty good job copying this, now I can display my "Tobler" Van like 1963 toy show fare.

Tom

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #9

Expert Boarder
Keesie wrote:
Well, I thought my posting would at least give a reply from Tom wanting a repro display card, but I guess I collected those pictures for nothing.

Hello Keesie,

Oh I was going to write you, sorry if you took up time getting a card ready, seem someone in AUS has already made it was a Repro? So someone else beat us all to it.....well, that card too has some issues, please check your messages.

Maybe you can help me with the ODD European Swiss PTT License Plate? 

I'm having problems pasting any address here, it's the Thread about making a Reproduction Dinky  Swiss PTT 262 front license plate.....

Many Thanks,

Tom

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #10

Expert Boarder
I just bought 2 of these from AUS to, one for a Birthday present of a dear VW collector friend here in Florida who loves
I think it looks good, but it doesn't look old and also I think it's on too thin of a paper stock? But after it's arrived here I can make some evaluations on the card and see if it can even be improved?
(I think it should have been printed on matt stock like the original?)

We'll see the outcome, together with a real 441 professionally photographed with it.....coming soon.

Tom

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I have a original one.

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #12

Expert Boarder
Corky wrote:
I have a original one.

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeow!!!!!!!!!!

Corky that is the BOMB!  ~ Love the way you made the GIF to make the lights blink, very cool!

Tom

P.S. Is it printed on a glossy or a matt or looks almost semi-matt card?

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #13

Expert Boarder
Hello Volks!

Well, I am going to wait and see how the AUSTRALIAN version of the Repro-card is and if I'm not satisfied with the look after some studio pix, then I would say yes, then it's time for a BETTER project and I will pay someone to get it just right, the AUS cards were something like $9/$10 each, I bought two so I could give someone for their Birthday and then to check it out with my 441.
I also have to bring some sort of LED battery powered light in position  over the toy as well to get the right effect.

Speaking of displays, yeah, I NEED a new cabinet really soon, my cars have been MORE than what that small plastic display case can handle ever since I made that BIG DEAL in France for a bunch of CIJ 3/10 Oval Window Beetles.....but that's for another thread.

Tom

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for all that, great information about the card. As I said, never seen it before, and I don't t think it is in the big Corgi bible.

Re: Rarer Than Rare ~ No Batteries or Bulbs Needed! ~ The *Trans-O-Lite* display card 4 years, 7 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
BlauchenL331 wrote:
Corky wrote:
I have a original one.

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeow!!!!!!!!!!

Corky that is the BOMB!  ~ Love the way you made the GIF to make the lights blink, very cool!

Tom

P.S. Is it printed on a glossy or a matt or looks almost semi-matt card?

To me it's matt.

Thanks for your comment about animation.

In fact, I take two pictures of course, but only replace the lights in one layer, from the other one.