Push and Go Corgi's - Early production
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Push and Go Corgi's - Early production

Push and Go Corgi's - Early production 4 years, 8 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
I've got three of these early models with the friction motor. They have the cast metal base, two black and one grey with the motor, all three still work. I believe they were made from around 1956 - 61?

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Push and Go Corgi's - Early production 4 years, 8 months ago #2

yes, you are right.

according to the Ramsays, the were issued between 56-61

good score!

Re: Push and Go Corgi's - Early production 4 years, 7 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Those were great toys! The early Corgi's were done in one colour, either done with a tinplate sheet base or a thick base with a friction motor. The M (otorized) versions were far heavier than the plain ones. Competitions were held (who can come further than mine....). Due to the costs, and also because the system was very fragile, the M versions were only done for a few years. After that the same models were done once again in two-tone.

For each version there was a unique box: plain blue for the one-colour version, an 'M ' and 'motorized' added in red lettering, and a yellow/blue box for the two-tone models.

Most M-models were done in one colour. The very early ones were done in green, later dark blue was added, and finaly the last one was done in two-tone.

The models done in M were 200-201-202-203-204-205-206-207-208-211-214 and 216.

I am lucky to have all versions, working and boxed. Most are restored.
Last Edit: 4 years, 7 months ago by Keesie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, StuartR

Re: Push and Go Corgi's - Early production 4 years, 7 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Great bit if knowledge for the Corgi collectors. Thanks for adding that.

Re: Push and Go Corgi's - Early production 4 years, 7 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Got a Morris Oxford and Standard Vanguard III at present.

missed out on the Citroen DS19 so many times.

These are difficult to collect as they are sought after.

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, RoutemasterNL

Re: Push and Go Corgi's - Early production 4 years, 7 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
The Riley Pathfinder Police, nr 209, the Citroen DS 19 nr 210, the Jaguar 2.4 Fire Service nr 213 and the open Ford Thunderbird, nr 215 were not done in M version.

Re: Push and Go Corgi's - Early production 4 years, 7 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
None my other corgi Citroën DS has the diff bubble

Re: Push and Go Corgi's - Early production 4 years, 7 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Jim, the DS, like you showed, has a unique baseplate, and was designed at first, not to have the vertical clock wheel in the centre of the rear axle, but to simulate it has rear wheel drive. When the model came in the shops, Corgi found out the DS has front wheel drive, so the bubble was taken off. I have both versions.

Re: Push and Go Corgi's - Early production 4 years, 7 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
The Corgi Citroen baseplate error is one of those classic factory OOPS! that we love to find out about.

Do we have an OOPS! section on this forum, don't know, maybe we should start one.

Rollerman.

Re: Push and Go Corgi's - Early production 4 years, 7 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
I remember reading somewhere ,that there was no room for the mechanism in the DS.

Re: Push and Go Corgi's - Early production 4 years, 7 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Keesie wrote:
The models done in M were 200-201-202-203-204-205-206-207-208-211-214 and 216.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the 200 to 206 models were done in both mechanical and non mechanical versions and along with the 300 and 301 were released in 1956, the first Corgis by Mettoy. My wish list includes wanting these first Corgis. So far I have ....... 0

Re: Push and Go Corgi's - Early production 4 years, 7 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
True, there is not enough room for the big M-wheel in the rear of the DS. It is a poor excuse of not doing one though, because the big wheel is in the centre of the car (with all models), not in the rear. 

Tick, you are right, all models from 200 to 206, but also the other numers as I mentioned before, were done in one-tone, two-tone and mechanical. The only one not done in one colour is the Austin A40, nr 216. The light blue version with darker blue roof is the plain one, the red one with black roof is the M version.

I forgot to mention also nr 405, the Bedford Utilicon Fire tender was done in M.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL
  • Page: