Chipperfields Crane Truck Jib lock replacement
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Chipperfields Crane Truck Jib lock replacement

Chipperfields Crane Truck Jib lock replacement 4 years, 12 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
I am needing to know how to replace the locking arm on the Corgi 1121 Chipperfiels's Crane Truck. I sold the part to a customer and he now wants to know how to install it. As I have never even had the toy in my possesion, I have no idea.

First, is that a screw behind the base of the crane on the rear deck of the truck (see picture on pg 92 of Corgi Bible 1956 - 1983). If so, can you remove it and lift the deck plate up so you have access to the Jib lock? Or do you have to take the base off to access it.

Any help I can get is appreciated,,,,,Kessie???

Jim
Right above the PP holding the Jib or Boom.

Re: Chipperfields Crane Truck Jib lock replacement 4 years, 12 months ago #2

I don't know Jim, have never had one.

Re: Chipperfields Crane Truck Jib lock replacement 4 years, 12 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Jim, I have never done a replacement part for that model. However, I know it will be of no use to your customer, I managed to repair one in the past. Yes, that is a screw....

First, we are talking about this part (picture from the net):

Last Edit: 4 years, 12 months ago by Keesie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Chipperfields Crane Truck Jib lock replacement 4 years, 12 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
This is the way I did it......

I still have that one, and I will open it up, make some pictures of the inside, to follow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Chipperfields Crane Truck Jib lock replacement 4 years, 12 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Ok, I took the deck plate off. As you see it can only be done through the boom. Also I had to remove the self made locking arm.

Once the plate is removed, you can see the only thing you can do there is take the handle out for restringing the wire leading to the hook/boom. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Chipperfields Crane Truck Jib lock replacement 4 years, 12 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
The broken lock can not be taken out from there. The whole yellow structure is clamped in from underneath, and there is no movement in there. There are no more screws on the outside. Therefore you have to take the baseplate off to reach the part from underneath.  As mine is not been opened up, I don't think I will do that.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, karls

Re: Chipperfields Crane Truck Jib lock replacement 4 years, 12 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Thanks you very much for this explanation and the pictures. I will pass this on to my customer. I have already said the he would probably have to take the toy apart to replace the part.

Thanks again, Jim

Re: Chipperfields Crane Truck Jib lock replacement 4 years, 12 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Ok Jim. Note there is a piano wire spring inside the housing. The rotating handle has a flat part, touching the spring. This causes the handle to have tension on it.

Re: Chipperfields Crane Truck Jib lock replacement 4 years, 12 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Yes, I could see that in your pictures, thanks.

Re: Chipperfields Crane Truck Jib lock replacement 4 years, 12 months ago #10

Corgi exceeded itself with this very complicaded truck. Great engineering

Re: Chipperfields Crane Truck Jib lock replacement 4 years, 12 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
UPDATE:
My customer took the truck apart. 3 rivets on the base. Three more inside and then 2 more after that, I think that is what he said. Anyway. lots of rivets to hold it all together and he was impressed. He used the spare part he bought of me and it all worked out well for him in the end. He is very happy now.
Thanks Kees for the help.
Jim

Re: Chipperfields Crane Truck Jib lock replacement 4 years, 12 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
That's good news Jim. It seems as if there are a lot if rivets inside. (Maybe you can ask him if he took pictures from the inside). Thing is, sometimes, and no doubt with this one also, the yellow upper structure is rivited to the upper shell itself. In fact, it is not rivets, like holding two shells, but parts pressed onto each other. Once drilled out, you can only glue them back together.

Re: Chipperfields Crane Truck Jib lock replacement 4 years, 12 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Here is what he wrote me.
That is a well constructed toy, not for the faint of heart to take apart. First, I ground off three rivets on the bottom securing the bottom wheel assembly to the chassis. Then there was another rivet holding the chassis to the main (upper) frame. Then three more rivets securing the yellow jib arm assembly to the main frame!
Once the jib arm assembly was removed, the jib lock and spring came out easily, and the new one went in easily too. I have some super metal based glue that I used to repair the rivets. It looks and works really great. I wouldn't recommend the process to anyone not comfortable with tools. I'm lucky that I have quite a well stocked machine shop.

I will ask if he took pictures.

Re: Chipperfields Crane Truck Jib lock replacement 4 years, 12 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Nope, he did not take pictures. Sorry.

Re: Chipperfields Crane Truck Jib lock replacement 4 years, 11 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
The restoration of a Corgi Chipperfields Crane Truck is also something i want to do, got the spare parts.

I shall post some pictures of the restoration.

Last Edit: 4 years, 11 months ago by chaccamacca.
  • Page: