Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!

TOPIC: been shopping....Corgi

Re: been shopping....Corgi 5 years, 3 months ago #46

Platinum Boarder
There is an easy way to tell if the  349 pop art mini is a fake and in some cases you don't even need to take it out of its box

Re: been shopping....Corgi 5 years, 3 months ago #47

Platinum Boarder
Obviously you did not read my last posting, but never mind, please tell me how you can see what is in a closed (non-window) box. I think there are more members here who like to know.

I seldom use the word fake, unless someone wants to sell a model for a lot of money. All other non-original models I call restorations.
Last Edit: 5 years, 3 months ago by Keesie.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 5 years, 3 months ago #48

Platinum Boarder
No I haven't got x ray sight the clues are on the box end flaps that determine the authenticity of the model inside 

Re: been shopping....Corgi 5 years, 3 months ago #49

Platinum Boarder
Genuine boxes have shorter inner flaps the fakes have longer ones with a blue border at the end 

Re: been shopping....Corgi 5 years, 3 months ago #50

Platinum Boarder
Ah, so if you have an original box, you know what is inside!!!! Well, that will be easy money for me then! So, again: in which cases do you not have to take it out of the box to know there is an orignal model inside?

Re: been shopping....Corgi 5 years, 3 months ago #51

Platinum Boarder
The White background on the 349 is longer on the fakes the word CORGI at the bottom of the flap is in a different font and if it's full on gloss then it is fake like the car inside as the original is semi gloss plus the base of the mini should have PATENT NO and not PATENT APP

Re: been shopping....Corgi 5 years, 3 months ago #52

Platinum Boarder
This doesn't answer the question. What you mean is: NO, you cannot know if there is an original model inside by not taking it out of a closed box. Why do I have the feeling you will not answer the question........

Re: been shopping....Corgi 5 years, 3 months ago #53

Platinum Boarder
Fake box = restored car plain & simple why put a genuine pop art mini in a repro box as the car alone in good condition can sell for £1000 on its own?

Re: been shopping....Corgi 5 years, 3 months ago #54

Platinum Boarder
I am not a big Corgi Fan although I have some and some are really great models. I can think if a number of reasons to have a real Pop Art Mini in a repo or Fake box as you call it.
1, I have had the car forever and I threw out the original box when I got it for Christmas in 19xx. I bought a repo box to put it in to keep it in good condition
2. I was given the model but it did not come with a box and original boxes are scarce and very expensive so I made my own. Sorry it is not exactly the same as the original.
3. The seller I bought it from was selling a Repo box with the original model he has had since he was a kid. I know and trust him so I just keep the car in the box to protect it.
I am sure there are other reasons too.
You have to open the box and see what is inside to make a proper decision on wither the car is real of fake.
IMHO that is.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 5 years, 3 months ago #55

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for that Jim, YOU answered the question!

Re: been shopping....Corgi 5 years, 3 months ago #56

Platinum Boarder
ok, getting back to my new Corgi purchases......

Just picked up some play worn Corgi models

A Plymouth Sports Suburban No 219 (pictured with a Dinky Dodge Royal)

and some farm equipment which I don't typically collect but every once in a while they slip in when a good deal is to be had

A No 72 Ford 5000 with rear shovel. Nice shape except missing one headlight and the operator is out rounding up some loose cattle (hahaha).
The No.58 Beast Carrier as well

(the Dinky Disc Harrow Equipment snuck into the picture)

Re: been shopping....Corgi 5 years, 3 months ago #57

Platinum Boarder
Not too familiar with those farm models, but I see all connecting 'eyes' are stil lthere, and that is a good thing. Indeed the tractor should have a famer/driver, to make it even more impressive, and the Plymouth also came in Postal service livery, as nr 443.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 5 years, 3 months ago #58

Platinum Boarder
That Tractor with the rear trenching bucket is a very hard to find piece.

Looks like it's in terrific condition.

Great score.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 5 years ago #59

Platinum Boarder
A local annual toy collector's show takes place in the Toronto area every October. I always complain about it being the same old boys with way too high prices. Plus having to pay to get in bugs me. Anyways I always seem to end up going and parting with some money.

At just about the end of the show there are sellers who would rather take anything than have to bring it home. Got a decent deal for $20 CDN for this nice No. 452 Commer 5 Ton and matching No.100  Drop Side Trailer. Some paint chips but displays well

And this No.1101 Bedford Car Carrier. Playworn, but the only real issue is the cracked windshield. After cleaning it up, I will most likely replace the window unit but leave the rest alone. It's complete and mechanism works great. A heavy sucker too!

What I love about these auto carriers is they look cool and you can display it with 4 other models using the same amount of space on your shelf !

Re: been shopping....Corgi 5 years ago #60

Platinum Boarder
Some good ones Tick! The mechanism of the transporter is undestructable!