Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!

TOPIC: been shopping....Corgi

Re: been shopping....Corgi 2 years, 5 months ago #241

Platinum Boarder
This has been very interesting to read about including the visual photos that a person can read and understand. Well done Keesis.

Fly wheel stopping could be caused by some cotton type thread slowing down the spinning process.
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 2 years, 5 months ago #242

Platinum Boarder
Here is a good one. I cannot go into edit mode and change anything then save as it goes back to the same written message?

So the correction is caused by worn cog teeth.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 2 years, 5 months ago #243

Platinum Boarder
thanks Keesie for the great photos and detailed description. I thought by the sound of the motor it was "winding" but after your explanation I understand there is no winding or spring mechanism. So the sound I am hearing is more likely a grinding. I can clearly see the large fly wheel moving with no effort as soon as I touch the rear wheels. It takes no effort at all to move the rear wheels and the fly wheel quickly begins to spin. But there is noise as the wheels turn. When I lift my finger off the wheel, it quickly but not immediately stops as does the fly wheel. So obviously something is out of line or grinding that is preventing the mechanism to continue spinning/working. As I said, I really dont want to open the model. It seems I cant have an unopened model and fully working mechanism so I will leave it for now and see if the urge to fix the motor overwhelms the desire to keep the rivets intact.

Keesie, do your models make a loud sound when operating?

Mine has the same shape cover plate over the fly wheel as Keesie pictured and has smooth hubs. So I assume an earlier edition. Keesie, would this be accurate?

The other model I got was the No. 300 Austin Healey. It has shaped spun hubs (not smooth from edge to centre but has a small indent around the surface of the rim). I assume this a later edition???

Re: been shopping....Corgi 2 years, 5 months ago #244

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks guys. Tick, every M-model makes a different sound, due to wearing out. I read stories that competitions were held between kids how far each model would travel. Like Jim said, complete carpets dissaperared into cars, so you never know what caused the problems. The models should be moved on flat surfaces by the way. A first indication of use is that the paint came off the ball on the rear axle.</p>
<p>Tick, what is your model, and any chanche you can place pictures of yours? If only you lived closer, we could discuss the model in the flesh, and try to solve the problem...!</p>
<p>All M-models have smooth hubs, and obvioulsy no interior, and are done in one colour, except the Ford Thunderbird and the Austin A40, which are two tone.</p>
<p>Ok, you do not want to open it. So take off the tyres, see if there is anything irregular in there. Put some oil in the hole, a little bit on the flywheel itself maybe through the wheel gaps. Leave the model upside down till the oil has reached all parts.</p>
<p>The 300 Austin Healey is not an M-model.</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by Keesie.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 2 years, 5 months ago #245

Platinum Boarder
<p>Here some pictures of mine. These are ALL the M-models. The green 200/202/204 are originals and unopened. All models came in blue boxes, except the 214 Thunderbird and 216 Austin A40, which were the only two tones as well.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: been shopping....Corgi 2 years, 5 months ago #246

Platinum Boarder
Wow that is a fantastic collection of Corgi Toys M series.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 2 years, 5 months ago #247

Platinum Boarder
WOW indeed!!!!!!

Keesie my model is the 206m Hillman Husky in grey. I have oiled it as you said but no change.
Correct, the Austin Healey is not motorized. It has spun hubs that have a groove around the surface of the hub. I assume it is not an original release as I thought all the first releases had smooth hubs (no groove)

I think what is happening is some teeth are wearing one of the gears. They are enough to mesh together and get things turning but when too much force is applied the teeth slip. The grinding noise may be the sound of the teeth slipping across each other.

Anyways, I haven't figured out this third party photo sharing thing yet so no photos to share. It really is lovely and in excellent condition. It's the first of the "first Corgis" that I own now (along with the No. 300 Ausitn Healey) so I am happy regardless.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 2 years, 5 months ago #248

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks again guys. Pity it does not work properly Tick. You must 'feel' it when some teeth do not grip into one another. The only wheel that can loose it's teeth is the hollow one on the rear axle, as the other ones are solid.</p>
<p>The Austin Healey was indeed done with smooth hubs first, with blue box. Version two had spun hubs and a yellow/blue box.</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tick

Re: been shopping....Corgi 2 years, 5 months ago #249

Platinum Boarder
Tick, the grinding of the gears, if that is what it is, should be intermittent or like a tick tick tick (sorry). If it is a constant grinding it is probably rust under the retainer plate or on the the flywheel itself that is rubbing. If you can get a nail file or small piece of sand paper in there try that but there may be now way to get it in between the plate and the flywheel.
Kees suggestion of taking off a tire is also good. You may even be able to see the pinion gear as it rotates to see if it has all its teeth still. Not sure as I don't have any of these motorized models.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tick

Re: been shopping....Corgi 2 years, 5 months ago #250

Platinum Boarder
<p>Well, a big thanks to some resident experts here (Keesie and Jim).</p>
<p>An excellent topic on how the gearing works and some maintenance tips </p>
<p>The original tires are a bit hard to try to take off so I didnt want to force them and end up crumbling them. I have no issue with replacement tires, but was still trying to avoid opening the model. I added some more oil agreeing that it may be rust. I used a syringe to get deeper from around the wheels. Let it sit a couple days and just now I gave her a go.</p>
<p>Perfect operation. </p>
<p> </p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: been shopping....Corgi 2 years, 5 months ago #251

Platinum Boarder
Yes Tick, between those two highly respected members while their knowledge is fantastic. Cheers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: been shopping....Corgi 2 years, 5 months ago #252

Platinum Boarder
Kees is the real Corgi expert, I just draw on years of knowledge from all the things I have done in my life so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim

Re: been shopping....Corgi 2 years, 5 months ago #253

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks guys, I also told van Cleemput how they work.....</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim

Re: been shopping....Corgi 2 years, 5 months ago #254

Platinum Boarder
Hi
I suggest those of you with Atlas subscriptions check their site.
Terry

Re: been shopping....Corgi 2 years, 5 months ago #255

Did that and in The Netherlands it is business as usual for me. Not facing any problems there