Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!

TOPIC: been shopping....Corgi

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #181

Platinum Boarder
It's not the easiest thing to photo but this is what I came up with Jim

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tick

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #182

Platinum Boarder
Thank's Dinkydi, that is exactly what I am describing, 'Criss Cross' pattern on the underside of the bonnet. This is what was added to the smooth area to help with the castings releasing from the tooling.

Early Cream over Green Bentley models are smooth, changing to criss cross later.

For Years I was finding Black over Silver Bentley models were always criss cross and I was beginning to think a smooth version does not exist which was suggesting the Black over Silver Bentley must have been introduced after the moulds (tooling), had been modified to the criss cross design, so whenever a Black over Silver Bentley is shown on model car forums or ebay, I always like to know about the bonnet area to get some idea of the numbers available compaired to the Cream over Green version.

So...

Smooth bonnets (on the underside) = Early versions, Cream over Green, Quite easy to find. Black over Silver, definitely not easy to find.

Criss Cross bonnets (on the underside) = Later versions, Cream over Green and Black over Silver, very easy to find.

I dare not even mention the Green over Green or 'Gold' versions just yet!!!

Rollerman.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #183

Platinum Boarder
Just visit this great site !

www.corky.fr/?page_id=1860

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #184

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Dinkydi for your excellent photo, showing the raised crisscross pattern casted into the internal side of the engine hood area. Nothing like visual explanation at times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dinkydi

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #185

Platinum Boarder
and a great article thanks Corky

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #186

Platinum Boarder
Thanks ! And Thanks to Dinkydi for his picture.

I'm gonna take a look at mines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dinkydi

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #187

Platinum Boarder
Both look the same. Having raised crisscross pattern.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #188

Platinum Boarder
Criss Cross bonnets are later issues Corky, so I guess you are now on the lookout for an early smooth bonnet version.

For those that want to know, the Light Green over Green has the Criss Cross bonnet but only Two circles in the boot and the 'Gold' version also has the Criss Cross bonnet with Four circles in the boot, very late issues.

Ever wondered why an all Green car is featured on the boxart....

Could be bacause of the prototype...

...and no, this sadly is not in my collection!

Rollerman.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #189

Platinum Boarder
Again Rollerman wisdom has brought to this discussion more knowledge making this thread so more interesting about Corgi Bentley Continental Sports Saloon I am so pleased.  I have just one last question left. I have noticed the name :By H. J. Mulliner on the box, can you please up date me to the nature of this please.
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by GunnerJim.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #190

Platinum Boarder
Sure.

H.J. Mulliner were the original company to build the body on the Bentley 'Continental' as modelled by Corgi on catalogue number 224.

By the time the real car and then the Corgi model were introduced, H.J. Mulliner were part of Rolls-Royce (who made the Bentley cars as well), and allowed Corgi to have the name shown on the box, there would not be any issues about having to go and ask Mulliner for permission to use it, so to help market and ensure long sales of the model, it was printed on the box as a matter of interest to prospective buyers.

Rollerman.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #191

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for that bit of history regarding the name H J Muliner on the Corgi box.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #192

Platinum Boarder
I just looked at the play worn black & silver one I have, it ha the criss cross pattern, the rear lights were new to me as mine has both missing so I never knew what they were like, great thread I have learnt something new.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #193

Platinum Boarder
Latest addition two nice Husky police cars
VW Beetle and Buick Electra

Re: been shopping....Corgi 2 years, 11 months ago #194

Platinum Boarder
In post #97 of this thread (about a year ago) I posted a Ford Consul Super Estate Station Wagon No 440 in blue. The blue version was issued as the "golf" set with golf cart and figures as No. 440. Please correct me if I am wrong but I am under the impression the blue model was only released as the 440. Well, I only have the car not the accessories from the set. And now I have the model in Grey which was released just as the car as No. 491. The 491 also came in red which I do not have.....yet.

Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by Tick.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 2 years, 11 months ago #195

Platinum Boarder
Nice and seems to be in very good condition. Nice find.