Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!

TOPIC: been shopping....Corgi

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #166

Platinum Boarder
I have had the No 224 Bentley Sports Saloon in pale green and cream for many years now. Always one of my favourites as it is a childhood memory. And now, I have the black and grey in comparable condition so they will look nice together.

Play worn with nicks and chips but complete except for each taillight is missing a red gem. No worries though as I have a beater of a Corgi La France fire truck no 1143 that I have no intention of ever trying to fix up. The front red gem lights and the holder they sit in are the same unit used for these Saloon rear taillights. The La France light assembly is trimmed in chrome which is a separate piece that comes off. So the parts are interchangeable (but the La France one needs to be trimmed down in depth a bit to fit the Saloon)   

Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by Tick.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #167

Platinum Boarder
That is a nice find and is in very good displayable condition. The rear light tip is vaery handy and I would try and warm the light unit with a hair driar first to help soften the plastic, but of course do not melt it!!!

Tick, can I ask you to look up into the underside of the bonnet area to see if it is smooth, or does it have a 'Criss-Cross' pattern.

Rollerman.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #168

Platinum Boarder
Sure, will do when I get home.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #169

Platinum Boarder
smooth.

OK, whats the significance?

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #170

Platinum Boarder
Thank's Tick.

In terms of casting molten Mazac metal into large smooth ares, sometimes the metal during the cooling process does not release very well from the moulds (tooling), which means production is slowed as these have to be taken away and sorted out later. One method is to add detail to these areas by way of raised lines which are easily cut into the mould.

When the Corgi Bentley was introduced in April 1961, it did indeed have a smooth underside to the bonnet, but problems meant the tooling had to be modified to have a 'Criss Cross' pattern to try and help with the problem that must have been happening.

Within my own collection of these Bentley models, I only had the Green and White/Cream models with and without the 'Criss Cross' bonnet, leading to the suggestion the Black and Silver Bentley will always be found with the 'Criss Cross' bonnet casting.

Now you have confirmed yours is 'Smooth', it puts the Black and Silver Bentley right back to the beginning of production, but so few have turned up it makes me wonder if they are 'Old Stock' bodies found and put back into production as has happened with Matchbox models many times!

The bottom line is...you have a very hard to find version, please look after Her...Ha, Ha.

Rollerman.
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by TheRollerman.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #171

Platinum Boarder
Wow, what great knowledge. I am the type of collector who loves to acquire models that stir childhood memories and/or simply because I like them and if I were still a kid I would want it (ok, maybe I still am a kid). I admit my ignorance with respect to variations and production details such as the Bentley's boot. It is so amazing how much there is to learn here at this forum

So, are you suggesting the black and green were not produced at the same time? Hence the black version had hatched boot and green did not. But, some blacks that had smooth boots were produced at the same time, or they were made from shelf stock from when the greens were made?

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #172

Platinum Boarder
For many Years it seemed only the Green version had smooth and then criss cross bonnets with the Black version only having criss cross bonnets implying the Black version was not introduced at the same time as the Green version, but later.

It took me many Years to find a Black version Bentley with a smooth bonnet.

So, your Black Bentley with a smooth bonnet should also have just Two cast circles on the floor of the boot, at extreme left and extreme right of the spare wheel. If it has Two additional smaller circles nearer to the spare wheel, easily seen as you open the boot, it means you have found a version I have not previously been aware of, a World frsrst!!

Rollerman.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #173

Platinum Boarder
Waiting with anticipation for his answer.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #174

Platinum Boarder
I have both colours , I checked and both are smooth , no pattern

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #175

Senior Boarder
Interesting. I had a look at some of my black Bentleys and found one without the criss-cross pattern. So they do exist.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #176

Platinum Boarder
im at work but will look for those cast marks when home

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #177

Platinum Boarder
Just to be sure, you are talking about the under surface of the bonnet. I look past the front wheels into what would be the engine bay ? 

Both of mine that I have on hand have a pattern obvious.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #178

Platinum Boarder
oh crap. I thought you meant the boot lid. I will check the bonnet.

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #179

Platinum Boarder
sorry. my mistake. Under the bonnet is hatched  not smooth. No special find here....

Re: been shopping....Corgi 3 years, 1 month ago #180

Platinum Boarder
Could it be possible to have a couple of photos of what you are describing would be nice to visually see. Really interesting in your discussion on this subject.