Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corgi 468 NSW Routemaster

Corgi 468 NSW Routemaster 5 years ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Is this original?

On Ebay at the moment starting at  AU $500

www.ebay.com.au/itm/252042731719?_trksid...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm not convinced.
Last Edit: 5 years ago by CorgiCrossEyed.

Re: Corgi 468 NSW Routemaster 5 years ago #2

Platinum Boarder
There are several reasons why I am not convinced either.

-for a high starting price, may we see the bottom with the rivets?
-look at this part of the picture. You see the black far more shiny then the rest, a thing Corgi would not do. Also, the black has overlaps with the beige(?), a thing Corgi would not do.

For the colour/sticker combination, we look in E. Force: only four red ones are pictured: Naturally Corgi Toys/Church shoes/Madame Tussauds/Outspan. The London sets 11/12 do not carry these colours, although some Australian 468's were made:

Light green, cream and brown body, Corgi Toys decals, shaped wheels, 1964

same as above, but Outspan decals, 1967

shaped and cast wheels were possible. I think it can be an Australian one with a repainted roof, which makes the model not worth more than 10 euros.
Last Edit: 5 years ago by Keesie.

Re: Corgi 468 NSW Routemaster 5 years ago #3

I am slightly convinced....and concerned too.
I have asked the seller for a photo of the baseplate

When and if it arrives, I shall share it here

Re: Corgi 468 NSW Routemaster 5 years ago #4

Platinum Boarder
If you scroll the pictures to the left you will see it has one rivet in the base at the front.
Kees, is this an original rivet???

Re: Corgi 468 NSW Routemaster 5 years ago #5

Gold Boarder
this is an a original rivet on a corgi bus mate

Re: Corgi 468 NSW Routemaster 5 years ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Here is the base in the ad in question. Does not look original to me.

Re: Corgi 468 NSW Routemaster 5 years ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Ah ha, the seller has added a couple more pictures to the listing.

Also added a disclaimer :

"I AM SELLING FOR A FRIEND AND BELEIVE THIS IS CORRECT"

Clear now that it's a repaint and the box looks repro also.

It's well done though. I didn't pick it straight away.

Thanks for your help guys.
Last Edit: 5 years ago by CorgiCrossEyed.

Re: Corgi 468 NSW Routemaster 5 years ago #8

Got the base picture in my email too,

The sellers writes me also:

Beste routemasternl,

Hi Theo. Thank you for your input. I have pulled the ad as I am now sure it is a repaint after much closer inspection, and I have been able to get confirmation the sleeve was added by my friend for extra protection to the bus as I now know.
Regards Ian.

- ian_movering

He is an honest man!
Last Edit: 5 years ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: Corgi 468 NSW Routemaster 5 years ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Jim, even without the seller's later replies, the rivet is NOT original. This is a rivet placed with a gun, like I showed you in a different thread. This new rivet is made out of aluminium, more light coloured than the original. An original rivet is made of heavier material pressed in with a machine.

The hole you see in the middle of this rivet in the picture goes far into the material. Originally therE is a pin sticking out of the aluminium. This pin is placed in the gun. The mouth of the gun holds the pin, and presses out the actual rivet into the stand. That way it expands itself in the hole. (we call it 'popnagel')

With original rivets (which no doubt are not called rivets), there are ones with closed top like the head of a nail, or ones with a small hole in them. A lot of Routemasters have his later version. The hole is only on the surface though, not going through. 

Did you know the rivet of the Corgi Routemasters (and maybe others) is slightly out of  the centre? The stand is situated on the flat part next to the driver, and in the actuall centre of the model there is not enough 'flesh' for it.
Last Edit: 5 years ago by Keesie.

Re: Corgi 468 NSW Routemaster 5 years ago #10

Platinum Boarder
I know all about Pop Rivets as we call them. I have the gun and maybe 3 or 4 different sizes of rivets. I have used the very smallest to close up some toys but mostly use them in Auto Body work from Years Ago. Used to repair the panels on a couple trucks and cars I had that were rusty. Used only washing machine housing metal to make the panels. Yes, they were flat or nearly flat surfaces that needed repair.
I did know about the hole in the rivet as Dinky has similar. The stand, as you call it, is much longer and when the machine is through turning and pounding the longer thinner portion of the stand it turns into a rivet head. It is not a separate rivet that is pushed or pounded into the stand.
  • Page: