Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Monkeemobile #277

Monkeemobile #277 5 years, 6 months ago #1

SGP

Junior Boarder
I had thought about re-painting a Corgi Monkeemobile into a more authentic look for quite a while, so when I picked up a tatty, though complete example for a quid from the Bay of E, I decided to make a start. 

This is how Corgi released the model. The quarter light is wrong but no doubt it adds some  strength to the front of the roof. There should be a central bar to depict the two piece windscreen and the red / white dual colour to the roof was obviously to simplify the paint masking. Otherwise, Corgi did an excellent job of capturing the real thing. 

Stripping my tatty example down. The chrome engine insert is minus some chrome but it will do. 

Parts re-painted in a brighter red, interior painted in the correct white and the roof painted in all over white as per the actual Monkeemobile. (Note: The original Monkeemobiles built by Dean Jeffries had white roofs and upholstery. Any you may see with tan roof and upholstery are replicas built by George Barris). 

My finished model just awaiting aftermarket decals. I think it looks a lot better. I decided to leave the incorrect quarterlights and not to add the windscreen centre bar to keep the spirit of the Corgi casting. Will be easy to alter those points later if I change my mind.
Last Edit: 5 years, 6 months ago by SGP.

Re: Monkeemobile #277 5 years, 6 months ago #2

Expert Boarder
Looks very cool. Nice job.

Re: Monkeemobile #277 5 years, 5 months ago #3

Yes, you did a great job.
What is a quarterlight? I know what a quarterback is

Re: Monkeemobile #277 5 years, 5 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Quarter light is the front wing window or no draft as it is called over here. Right behind the front window on the side of the car.
Great job and I always thought this model was wrong. You did it justice. I would remove the Quarter lights and put in the center strut on the Front
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Monkeemobile #277 5 years, 5 months ago #5

SGP

Junior Boarder
QUOTE:
I would remove the quarter lights and put in the centre strut on the front

Yes, I may well do that
Last Edit: 5 years, 5 months ago by SGP.

Re: Monkeemobile #277 5 years, 5 months ago #6

Nobleco wrote:
Quarter light is the front wing window or no draft as it is called over here. Right behind the front window on the side of the car.
Great job and I always thought this model was wrong. You did it justice. I would remove the Quarter lights and put in the center strut on the Front

I see and understand.

Re: Monkeemobile #277 5 years, 5 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
A very well executed restoration and certainly now worth more than a 'Quid'.

Rollerman.

Re: Monkeemobile #277 5 years, 5 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
This restoration was no monkey business for sure.

Yeah back in my youth we had this:

Re: Monkeemobile #277 5 years, 5 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Gerrit you rascal, I am not even going to watch the video because, already I can here the TV theme music for the Monkees going round and round in my head...!

Rollerman.

Re: Monkeemobile #277 5 years, 5 months ago #10

SGP

Junior Boarder
Whilst in the mood, I have started building my 1:24 scale Monkeemobile plastic kit by MPC. In the kit are the large decals for the doors plus some smaller decals meant for the licence plates but are too large. They are however just right for the Corgi model finished in metallic gold rather than the yellow decals that Corgi used. 

I decided not to alter the quarterlights as I wanted to keep the casting intact.

Last Edit: 5 years, 5 months ago by SGP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Monkeemobile #277 5 years, 5 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I like it and nice that the smaller decals fit this model. Much better in Gold than Yellow.
Good Job.

Re: Monkeemobile #277 5 years, 5 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Great job on this one looks real nice.

Re: Monkeemobile #277 5 years, 5 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
wow, gold decals.

awesome restore job mate

I see a couple other differences too.\

Last Edit: 5 years, 5 months ago by RVREVO.

Re: Monkeemobile #277 5 years, 5 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
A nice show accurate model of the late great Dean Jeffries masterpiece

Re: Monkeemobile #277 5 years, 5 months ago #15

Hello Michael,

good seeing you back again
Last Edit: 5 years, 5 months ago by RoutemasterNL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael77
  • Page: