ladder for 423/405 Corgi Bedford Fire Tender
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: ladder for 423/405 Corgi Bedford Fire Tender

ladder for 423/405 Corgi Bedford Fire Tender 5 years, 4 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Hi All

I recently purchased a Corgi 423 Bedford Fire Tender, can't post pics from work (no access to Tinypic, and we all know we cant upload images right now) so for reference sake, here is an ebay item number you can enter in to the ebay search field 121520874217.

Like mine this one has the ladder missing. I have seen various different pictures from ebay and The Great Book of Corgi of the ladder. Several after markets too. However, I am still not able to get a clear look at what the original ladder looks like. I have seem what appears to be metallic as well as plastic. Some look black, some look bare metal colour. Some seem to be moveable such that the ladder is an extension ladder where the two pieces slide. Others seem fixed (no moving parts).

I want to get a replacement but want to know what the correct original ladder was like.

Anyone know?

Re: ladder for 423/405 Corgi Bedford Fire Tender 5 years, 4 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Tick, I can get the ladder, $8.00 but in the Great Book of Corgi, it looks like it is Black plastic. I have no idea what my supplier has but I can ask him. I can't tell from the photos if it has an extension ladder inside but from the price, I would say not. It was also on the 405M model which did not have the grooved roof and had a divider in the front window. The grooves were added and the center screen post was eliminated on the 423 model. 423 first came out in June of 1960 and was withdrawn in 1962 with 83,000 being sold. Scale is 1:44
Let me know if you want me to check out with my supplier but I am sure there is someone else here who has the complete model and can answer your questions.
Jim
Last Edit: 5 years, 4 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: ladder for 423/405 Corgi Bedford Fire Tender 5 years, 4 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
I found a van on eBay that has the ladder and sent him a message asking about the ladder. Here is what he wrote me back.
"Hi Jim
The ladder is cast metal not plastic its held on the roof by two tin plate tabs.not sure if its original as I have never seen one of these up close.Hope this is of use to you."

Re: ladder for 423/405 Corgi Bedford Fire Tender 5 years, 4 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
If the Bedford has 'Smooth' wheel hubs, I would put a bare-metal ladder on the roof. If the model has the 'Sculpted' wheel rims, I would put the darker coloured plastic ladder on the roof.

I have seen a picture of a ladder that looks like a bare-metal type, but painted in a dark colour!

Rolerman.

Re: ladder for 423/405 Corgi Bedford Fire Tender 5 years, 4 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Thanks all for the input.

Hopefully some one with a complete original can add something

Re: ladder for 423/405 Corgi Bedford Fire Tender 5 years, 4 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
The replacement I can get is a metal ladder. It should be the same as the original black ladder and would only need painting.

Re: ladder for 423/405 Corgi Bedford Fire Tender 5 years, 4 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Great thanks!
  • Page: