Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group

TOPIC: Some of my Dinky toys

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 month, 4 weeks ago #421

Platinum Boarder
Awful news , really sad to read this, I wish you better luck .

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 month, 4 weeks ago #422

Platinum Boarder
A nightmare come true ...
I am very, very sorry for you!
And all those lost treasures ...
Kind regards, Jan

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 month, 4 weeks ago #423

Expert Boarder
Such a heart-breaking story - wish I could help in some way.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 month, 4 weeks ago #424

Senior Boarder
Thank you for your kind words colleagues. I'm very sad about this, but there is nothing to be done. I'm happy that I photographed the collection just two weeks ago (other than missing one angle of Dinky Cars). I'm not thinking that the insurance will give me much for them, but I have prepared a reasonable valuation, so we'll see.

In the mean time, I have rebuilding to do, and It'll be a while before I have spare time and resources to consider restoring toys again. I also lost the better part of 100 pounds of Meccano, and an original green "L" box. The Meccano is scattered like confetti amongst the debris, as it was stored on the second floor. It's recognizable but hardly worth picking out the ash, and all heat damaged anyway.

I'll have one Dinky in my collection soon, as I have a French bridge layer arriving from eBay soon. That, will live on my desk...

Enjoy your excellent hobby colleagues, I'll check back every now and then...

Jim

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 month, 4 weeks ago #425

Platinum Boarder
Sad to hear it. What can we do to help you?

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 month, 3 weeks ago #426

Expert Boarder
It is bad news, and it makes me think what I would do if it should happen to me, and if it helps, these are my thoughts.

I enjoyed searching and bidding on items.
I enjoyed receiving photographing and cataloging them.
I enjoyed displaying them on my website (even getting very few visitors)
I enjoyed stripping down those that needed restoration.
I enjoyed doing the restoration, even having to redo mistakes.
I enjoyed displaying and sharing a few on planetdiecast
I enjoyed the comments and suggestions I got
Then what did I do.
Put them away in storage, that part was not so enjoyable, once a job is done, it is finished, and I have no further interest, nothing more to do with that one.

I do not want to distract from the loss but my hope is that you start again with what you enjoy.

My best regards and encouragement.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 month, 3 weeks ago #427

Platinum Boarder
Jim, from one Jim to another I am sad and sorry for your loss. We have had the internet down for 5 days due to our wild fires. This is indeed tragic news but I am sure you will come through it. We carry on.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 month, 3 weeks ago #428

Platinum Boarder
How close to you Jim?

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 month, 3 weeks ago #429

Platinum Boarder
The fire is about 60 to 70 K away from us but getting larger. Took out the Fiber Optic cable up in the mountains about Oliver BC. There has been a temporary bridge set up for the internet in Oliver so we have our TV and Internet back. The crews still can not get into assess the situation as the fires are still burning. We are safe here but smokey skies most of every day now.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 month, 3 weeks ago #430

Platinum Boarder
<p>Toy Jim, was your fire just a structure fire, how sad, or was it from wild fires your having in Ontario?</p>
Last Edit: 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Nobleco.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 month, 3 weeks ago #431

Platinum Boarder
60 - 70 kms away doesnt seem that far. Stay safe!

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 month, 3 weeks ago #432

Platinum Boarder
We have an eye to the sky for smoke columns. You just never know with our wild fire season and it has all of August to go yet.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 month, 3 weeks ago #433

Platinum Boarder
We are having heavy rain in England, I went away for the weekend and when we returned home our front gutter collapsed , it smashed a few tiles on our lower bay roof, it was upsetting as we had had a nice weekend away, compared to what we have talked about here this was a very small thing , I feel for you as fire is my worst night mare it is very sad to hear.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 month, 2 weeks ago #434

Senior Boarder
Doing the clean up is a sad task, though with a few bright spots!

While backing the 5 ton excavator up to grab the next load of scrap for the bin, I saw a wingtip sticking out of the ash. I recognized a Vulcan! It is nearly undamaged, though the second one I found did not fair so well. I found a few others, though for the most part, I was plowing through half melted Antars and Bedfords. I have the memories, and the photos, and everyone else's have appreciated a little, as mine will never be on the market.

The insurance company is being nice, and allowing me some payout for them. Not what they're worth, but something, and I'm appreciative...

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 month, 2 weeks ago #435

Platinum Boarder
I really do not know what I would do. Turn my back and let the clean up crews do their job or be in the pile on my knees sifting through the debris. Either way, a sad affair. I love your enthusiasm to find the positive with these little "bright spots". As you find more models each one will no doubt bring back fond memories. I believe part of the enjoyment of our hobby is that each model may have some meaning or memory to us. Unfortunate as it is, your situation may be a positive to others. If we haven't already, maybe we should all inquire with our home insurance providers about values and coverage for our collections. I know my policy includes for a set amount of contents insurance.
Moderators: andyman7