Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group

TOPIC: Some of my Dinky toys

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 year, 5 months ago #331

Platinum Boarder
I would agree with the others in that is is an original. Inside the wheel wells shows the new color as it would not fade due to sunlight. The flatted tires are also a good indicator as to them being original. You could not get a good old used tires on with out breaking it on this model.
Your repaint is good looking up to the point of masking. Taking that off reveals the "Bleed" of the paint under the masking. I would get some Tamiya Masking tape if you can or Painters Blue is supposed to be good. I am going to Kelowna tomorrow for an appointment and will be picking some up. I don't like using my Tamiya for large areas and I am not happy with the Green masking tape I have been using and regular masking tape I find leaves a residue of the glue behind. The no Bleed tape is also supposed to be good.
Those panels are hard to do at the best of times. I always hand paint mine. In fact I have on one my desk waiting to be restored. I think I may do it next week when I get back and try this blue tape on it.
Another Pointer I should mention is you should paint light colors first and then the dark colors over top. The tan would be much easier to mask off for painting the green the the other way around. Spray Tan, then tape off the sides and rear and spray green. Then do the panels by hand, mask along the edges if your not too steady or sure of brush painting. Hard to do and DON'T brush over an area you have already brushed, it disturbs the paint too much to fix later. Hope that helps. I am not trying to tell you how to paint as you do an excellent job of that, just the order of colors and ease of masking is important. Sometimes you need to mask off larger areas than you would like.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 year, 5 months ago #332

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Nobleco , this is why i like to do bog standard factory restorations.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 year, 5 months ago #333

Platinum Boarder
I agree with you and that is they way I started. Took me a while before I attempted to do a Two Tone or more. Practice makes perfect they say and that is all it is besides having a good masking tape and a magnifying glass of some sort. Mine are the visor type and I can't work with out them. Eyes are not what they used to be and the eye doctor says it is time to look at my eyes again. Cataracts are starting to show so........ time will tell. At 68 you expect these things.
All you can do is the best you can and then keep trying to get better.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 year ago #334

Platinum Boarder
In reply to Mrjeff's restoration, here is the one I did yesterday, I bought this last week & got it yesterday as on holiday, I decided to leave the wheels as they were good , I just need to do a bit of tlc on the n's rear.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 year ago #335

Platinum Boarder
That is a nice job and always nice to see you can do it without taking the toy apart. You could still paint the hubs if you wanted. Just take the tires off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy66

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 year ago #336

Nice work Andy, is the cream a bit lighter than the original?

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 year ago #337

Platinum Boarder
Many thaks, it is not as yellow as original but it is a Ford colour called Sierra Biege.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 year ago #338

Platinum Boarder
My brother In Law found this for me today , it was in a box on a skip.It was the Dinky Toy one but I have been bored today & wanted to restore it straight away , not having the correct colours I am going to do it in the Ovaltine livery , I have ordered the decals.

capital one bank near me

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 year ago #339

Platinum Boarder
That is a great casting and looks like you have a really good start on it. I have been looking for one of these as I want to do the Dinky Toys version. I have the Kodak but can't find the van at a reasonable price and then every one in Europe seems to be on that Darn Global Shipping program or wanting $25.00 or more for shipping. I keep looking though.
Will be nice to see this finished up.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 year ago #340

Platinum Boarder
Can't believe they (the previous owner) were simply going to throw away the model here!

You could say that why restore when atlas makes perfectly good modern replicas from the original moulds, however there is still plenty that can be done with an 'old' model.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 year ago #341

Platinum Boarder
It is surprising that people do not know what they are throwing away , although not in my house , it seems people want to live with a minimal things as they can & are happy just to look a screen .
I will eventually do a Dinky version as since I got the pallet lorry I have liked this version so this one will be (it is drying) light blue & the ovaltine version.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 year ago #342

Platinum Boarder
just waiting for Ovaltine decals to come & finished.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 year ago #343

Expert Boarder
I owned a couple of these as campers way back, fun to drive, and summer time with the doors open.

Ever thought of making your own decals ?

I have made some for the pullmore transporter, i will post when I have the time.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 year ago #344

Platinum Boarder
I do make or rather with my daughters help the decal for my Plastic models, so when it comes to the die casts I buy the correct re-pro decals.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 1 year ago #345

Platinum Boarder
How did you clean up the rather rusty baseplate Andy?
Moderators: andyman7