Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group

TOPIC: Some of my Dinky toys

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 5 years, 8 months ago #286

Platinum Boarder
I leave the paint for a couple of days and most times I don't have any problem. There are times that I do and I think it has to do with the curve on the body. The Yellow over Red Austin Somerset I did for the Pullmore Car Carrier set last year. That split line was right on the curve line of both front and rear fenders and it carried on into the door. Sometimes I have peeled the making tape off either too fast, too soon or have pulled toward the new paint instead of slightly away. Pull in the direction of the new painted area will almost always result in paint peeling, specially if you do it too soon. I have mine under inrared lamps, same as the sun so if you leave the toy under that light too long the masking can stick to the old paint. Timing is the key.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 5 years, 8 months ago #287

Platinum Boarder
White primer is hard to coat, it seems to separate from sharp edges & details, the more coats the better & spray the sharp edges first so as you can "build" to them.
I left this topic with a Rootes theme so here are 3 more, the sunbeam rapier , Hillman Minx & Singer Gazzelle, I will not restore these as they are too good to.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 5 years, 8 months ago #288

Platinum Boarder
I find that white primer does not "run away from ridges" but stays put. White primer I don't use often but I do 2 coats like I do most times with grey primer. I find Yellow and light green 2 of the hardest colors as they don't have heavy pigments. The are almost transparent in nature therefore hard to cover up anything. 5 or 6 coats for SF Yellow paint.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 5 years, 8 months ago #289

Platinum Boarder
Nice examples of these cars and they are in pretty good condition.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 5 years, 8 months ago #290

Platinum Boarder
I decided to give my rough painted Singer Vogue a make over , I decided to paint it in the colours of a car that an old man owned who lived on the corner of my road as a kid, it was always garaged & in very nice condition.I will need to get new window for it.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 5 years, 8 months ago #291

Platinum Boarder
Looks much better now and all it needs is a new window unit, like you said. This is a nice color combo. Suites the car well.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 5 years, 8 months ago #292

You brought it back to life, it looks very good.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 5 years, 8 months ago #293

Platinum Boarder
<p>Very nice work!</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy66

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 5 years, 8 months ago #294

Platinum Boarder
Outstanding.

Usually try to get all the parts before restoration.
Aarons Diecast collectibles is where i go
Steve Flowers is the main supplier

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 5 years, 8 months ago #295

Platinum Boarder
Looks good!

might want to pop out the top of that roof from the underside in order to get that 'new' window unit to fit lol

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 5 years, 8 months ago #296

Platinum Boarder
<p>very nicely done</p>

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 5 years, 8 months ago #297

Platinum Boarder
Replacement windows fitted & I have put this car with the Corgi garage as it is how I remember the one on the corner of my road when i was a boy although the real garage had opening "barn doors" & not the up and over like the Corgi but it is how I have the picture in my memories

screenshot utility

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 5 years, 8 months ago #298

Platinum Boarder
That Red Roof with the red interior work sit well together.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 5 years, 8 months ago #299

Platinum Boarder
Nicely done and I agree with Bob, red over the white looks really good on this car. The matching red interior does ad to it too.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 5 years, 8 months ago #300

Platinum Boarder
Don't you paint the tail lights?
Moderators: andyman7