Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group

TOPIC: Some of my Dinky toys

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 7 years, 11 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
Andy66 wrote:
My dad was one of the first "Bobbies" to ride a Vellocette motor cycle for his enquiries in the Met he later drove an Austin 1100 two door painted Bermuda blue (no white doors) with no Police roof box.

I was one of the coppers who didn't have transport! Along with about 20 others I was sent to the Police Driving school one winter's day to learn how to ride a Velocette. Just as we were about to be issued with our bikes it started to snow. So they cancelled the course and sent us all back to our Divisions. I never even got the chance to sit on the damn thing!

My beat was about 4 miles from the Station and covered maybe 4 or 5 square miles. On a typical night shift I'd be expected to walk to my "patch", check all commercial premises for security, keep appointments with the Beat Sergeant (our only means of communication back then), and even find time to get back to the Station for a half hour break!

I reckon they should have issued us with roller skates!  

Dave.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 7 years, 11 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
RoutemasterNL wrote:
Thanks for explaining it Dave, learnd again something on PD.
Great !

You're welcome Theo, and all the best for 2014!

Dave.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 7 years, 11 months ago #18

Great story Dave, thanks for sharing that.
New year in 1 hour

happy newyear
Last Edit: 7 years, 11 months ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 7 years, 6 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
I bought this Humber Hawk police car a couple of weeks ago, it had been painted grey? as the police & rear number plate decals were all good I decided to simply rub it down with p1200 & brush paint it instead of spraying.Just needs the aerial to finish.

I also got this Bedford TK coal truck & added some re-pro coal sacks & scales as they were missing

Last Edit: 7 years, 6 months ago by Andy66.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 7 years, 6 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
I have had this Saab 96 for about 10 years, bought the spares but  just left it, all done now.

I have an aston Martin from the same buy to do.

Last Edit: 7 years, 6 months ago by Andy66.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 7 years, 6 months ago #21

Beautiful color, well done

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 7 years, 6 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
I bought this one today , it was one I would have liked when I was a kid but never got it.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 7 years, 6 months ago #23

Is it a Lincoln?

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 7 years, 6 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
Andy66,  Nice PONTIAC.  I hope that helps you out Theo.
Better known in my time as a "Poncho" .

dinkyboy
Last Edit: 7 years, 6 months ago by DINKYBOY.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 7 years, 6 months ago #25

Thanks Erwin,
I always find it difficult to indentifying these big Americain battleships

I don't have that many original Dinky ones in my collection, only a handful made my Atlas

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 7 years, 6 months ago #26

Platinum Boarder
Sorry, I forgot to name the model , thanks Dinkyboy, it,s a Pontiac Parisienne.

It has a nice feature of retractable aerials which are moved up & down by a slide switch on the base.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 7 years, 6 months ago #27

Platinum Boarder
Pontiac?

Poor Old Nanny Thinks It's A Cadillac
Last Edit: 7 years, 6 months ago by Ecclesley.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 7 years, 6 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
Ecclesley,  Naaaaaah. It knew it was a Pontiac. A few years prior when fitted with the famous 421 engine, not many battleships could stay with it. Oval, drags and even cross country = curves and hills mind you. Plus off the show room floor! Of course Caddys were fantastic as well. All that weight and down the road fast and quietly. Also impressive. Those days are gone. Too bad the U.S. industry took so long to realize that gearing was the answer, so now we have the 6 to 8 speed manual or automatic. Big thing now is "drifting"... ever been to a midget race? Started way back when and  continuing to any Saturday night you want. Drifting, nothing new..........

dinkyboy
Last Edit: 7 years, 6 months ago by DINKYBOY.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 7 years, 6 months ago #29

Platinum Boarder
Some nice repainting Andy, the Saab turned out real nice. As for the Pontiac is it in a larger scale to 1/43? It always seemed to be bigger.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 7 years, 6 months ago #30

Platinum Boarder
Thanks dinkyjay, the scale does seem larger on these  models of American cars.
Moderators: andyman7