Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group

TOPIC: Some of my Dinky toys

Some of my Dinky toys 6 years, 8 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Here are some of my Dinky Toys, through different years

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 6 years, 8 months ago #2

Very nice collection. that Marrel is super!

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 6 years, 8 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Some good stuff there Andy.

The marrel is a favourite of mine although falls out of my collecting preference as it has windows and plastic hubs, I may have to bend my rules a bit and get one. The Albion cement mixer another nice one too.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 6 years, 8 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
It is a nice model I bought that from an antique fair some years ago the tag of £65 is still in the box I haggled the vendor down to £50 it was one of the first models I paid a lot of money for

Here are some more , some were mine from a child & others from toy fairs , car boot sales & Ebay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackstone

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 6 years, 8 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Again some lovely models. Must get to them boot sales in the new year.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 6 years, 8 months ago #6

I spotted a Panda Police car. Does anyone know why it is called Panda, I always wondered?

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 6 years, 8 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
If you click on this link Routemaster it will tell you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panda_car
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 6 years, 8 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
I like the one with the open boot very much. What is it ?

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 6 years, 8 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
A lovely piece of car history gathered together in a model collection.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 6 years, 8 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Car with the boot open is the Triumph 2000 Corky, the metallic version with white roof.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 6 years, 8 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
If you look on Some of my Corgi Toy  topic you will see this Triumph in white & blue in the glider gift set.
Last Edit: 6 years, 8 months ago by Andy66.

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 6 years, 8 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
RoutemasterNL wrote:
I spotted a Panda Police car. Does anyone know why it is called Panda, I always wondered?

Hi Theo,

Prior to the advent of the Panda, all Police beat officers in the UK did their patrolling on foot or used a bicycle (or a small motor bike if they were really lucky). Discounting the traffic cars, which were dedicated to traffic patrol only, and hardly ever involved in "real" Police work, the only mobile Police were in the area cars.

Each area car was manned by two highly trained Advanced Drivers and each had a radio. But there were only two, maybe three area cars per "Division", which could be as much as 100 square kilometers of suburbs.

It finally dawned on the Home Office (the Government Ministry in charge of Policing) that this was totally inadequate and something drastic had to be done. In 1966, a plan was mooted for giving all beat officers a car and a personal radio.

The assumption was that the cars would be black and white echoing the American style, and a good nickname for them would be "Magpies". For some obscure reason someone objected to the magpies epithet, so it was decided to call them Pandas instead. It was then decided that the cars would be more prominent if they were light blue and white. 

So the plan was ratified, and by mid 1967 all beat officers in the UK were mobile, and possibly even more importantly, were in radio touch with their Station!

HTH, Dave.  
Last Edit: 6 years, 8 months ago by DaveF.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackstone

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 6 years, 8 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
This is a Mini Dinky made in Hong Kong, they came out in the late 60's & all models came in these nice plastic garages instead of boxes. I have somewhere a Ferrari & an E-type Jag they did a few different models. They are Matchbox 75 size. The bottom of the garage reads the small-scale model with superb detail & big action features A Meccano Product Ma

de In hong Kong

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 6 years, 8 months ago #14

Thanks for explaining it Dave, learnd again something on PD.
Great !

Re: Some of my Dinky toys 6 years, 8 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
My dad was one of the first "Bobbies" to ride a Vellocette motor cycle for his enquiries in the Met he later drove an Austin 1100 two door painted Bermuda blue (no white doors) with no Police roof box.
Last Edit: 6 years, 8 months ago by Andy66.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL
Moderators: andyman7