Dinky Toys That Never Exixted!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group

TOPIC: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted!

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 9 months ago #91

Platinum Boarder
Glad to be of help Hugh. Nice Refuse truck. Is it original as it looks to be in Mint Condition?

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 9 months ago #92

Platinum Boarder
All the parts are original there are no replacements. It was a full strip down and repaint. The biggest job was machining the chassis to accept the winding gear.

Then the finished model.

Hugh
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, janwerner

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 9 months ago #93

I agree Hugh, that is the most difficult part. THe trick is not to damage the paint. The color is perfect. Did you use a spray gun or a rattle can?

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 9 months ago #94

Platinum Boarder
I did the conversion of Bedford Refuse and Commer Breakdown Truck. Taking out the chassis at the winder so the dump box worked on the Commer was a challenge but I managed to get it right. Lots of drilling and grinding. The tow body hides all the hole from the winder on the Bedford.
Your Commer Refuse looks great and could be a factory finish job.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 months, 3 weeks ago #95

Platinum Boarder
Routemaster - sorry not to get back sooner.
Yes I used a rattlecan for both the primer and the top coats, unfortunately there were some casting defects which no amount of primer and/or paint will fully hide.
Didn't mention that I used dental drills to machine out the space for the winding gear and the slots for the winding handle. Found it easier to control removal rates and accuracy especially with the slots.
Also used a little WD40 - painted on the slide runners and NOT sprayed - to reduce the stickiness once having reassembled and fixed the slides and doors back in place.
Here are some pictures of the first run assembly, a casting shot and the dental drills I used.

Hugh

image share site

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 months, 3 weeks ago #96

Platinum Boarder
I have similar tools for my Dremel. They work a charm on this type of restoration or Code 3. When I did mine the slot for the winder was in the casting so all I had to do was cut out the hole for the winder mechanism. That was not hard, just drilled some holes and then used the fibre disc the tool came with. Very thin and works well on Mazak.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 months, 3 weeks ago #97

Platinum Boarder
I use a Prinz 2000 drill for these dental drills and other small tools. See pic.
Jim - you set me thinking when you said your Commer already had a slots in it for the winding gear. Did mine have slots or didn't it???
Did some digging and found they were made with and without slots. See pics.
Hugh

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 months, 3 weeks ago #98

Platinum Boarder
Did a little digging into Dinky Toys Encyclopedia by Jacques DuJardins and he says that the first models issued had a near side (left side) slot, for an eventual handle which has never been used and was deleted before 1954.
I have restored about 5 of these truck in the last number of years, one being the conversion to a waste truck or garbage truck. 2 have had no slot and 3 did. Below is my cut out for the winder mechanism.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 5 months ago #99

Platinum Boarder
One item I've been meaning to put on here is the "Dublo Dinky No.077" - ALC Bulker Cement Transporter.

If this model had been issued would Meccano have used one of the traction units from the DD range?

Then on the other hand if they had gone for a completely new model what traction unit would have been used. They had plenty to choose from given the ALC range of use by different vehicle makers. A good example of what it might have looked like is from the book by Glen McBirnie - "Rugby Portland Cement Transport Vol.1" which shows it on a Dodge short wheelbase chassis.

Did the factory produce any drawing in readiness for manufacture??

Hugh

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, karls

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 5 months ago #100

Platinum Boarder
Well, I can verify a few facts for you. It was never produced. It was to be on the Dodge Kew Chassis with the same cab as the Dinky 343.
The real truck used Dodge, Bedford, Commer and Ford chassis and the originals were built by the Amalgamated Limestone Company (A.L.C.). The design quickly became popular so the started up a separate company to build it. Metalair LTD chassis.
Here is a picture taken from The Dinky Toy Encyclopedia by Jacques DuJardins.

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 3 months ago #101

Platinum Boarder
A fellow collector and I were talking online the other day and the subject of Dinky Toys that Meccano never produced although there was evidence to suggest they were on the "drawing board". He mentioned the 38e Triumph Dolomite pre-war model. I found a photograph and it seems the model is available in kit form. Anyone add to this.
image hosting website
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 3 months ago #102

Platinum Boarder
Two copies were made ~20 years ago. Well not copies but in the "Dinky style". Odgi and Past Presents Toys - were they both kits and built-ups? Odgi was in the style only, but the Past Presents was supposed to be based on factory drawings... I should have bought them back in the day - so I have never seen any in person. Are they marked on their baseplates?
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 3 months ago #103

Platinum Boarder
If you have Jacques Dujardins DVD then you can find info, all though it is limited, on there. He shows the car and the base with the ODGI wording along with the name of the car, Domolite and Made in England

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 3 months ago #104

Platinum Boarder
Below you see both the Odgi rendition of the unissued Triumph Dolomite and the actual Dinky Toys model that replaced it in 1946, the no. 38e Armstrong Siddeley Coupe. Also a poor representation of the original factory design drawing of the Triumph Dolomite, signed 27 January 1939. Still updated in 1945, but it did not make it! Kind regards, Jan

criminal case forensic anthropology

intermittent fasting unhealthy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 2 months ago #105

Platinum Boarder
<p>
</p>
<p>This is the last Atlas (not Dinky Toys) received from Wuhan. Please wear a mask to look at it, it may be contagious.</p>
Last Edit: 2 months ago by dinkycollect.
Moderators: andyman7