Dinky Toys That Never Exixted!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group

TOPIC: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted!

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years ago #61

Both color combos look good IMHO

I think you did a great job, thanks for sharing

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 6 years, 11 months ago #62

Platinum Boarder
I've finished the Commer Artic.

I realise that this combination was issued as a gift pack number 424 in 1963 with plastic hubs, stake frame and canopy and it had windows. My resto model has none of these and comprises of early (1950's) castings, so in that respect it didn't exist. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

I drilled and tapped the trailer to 6BA to fix the connecting plate to the Commer cab, fitted 17mm tyres to the cab and 20mm tyres to the trailer. The hook was painted red instead of black and the rest was standard resto work. The base plate was left in original condition.

Here are a few shots.

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 6 years, 11 months ago #63

great photos Hugh and a really good solution. In fact I am working withe the commer too for thje 982 car transporter. The connecting plate fits perfectely indeed!

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 6 years, 11 months ago #64

What do you think of these two made by a friend of mine....

Both based on the Dinky 161B.. Made by David Napier....

Niall
Last Edit: 6 years, 11 months ago by Dublin6.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 6 years, 11 months ago #65

Platinum Boarder
HUGH,                     Your COMMER ARTIC is perfect.  A great idea and Well done.

"IT LOOKS FACTORY TO ME"

dinkyboy

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 6 years, 11 months ago #66

Platinum Boarder
DUBLIN6,                   ....did I miss something.......?

Is my computer only working half way?

....or is it just your humor and I am kinda slow.

dinkyboy
Last Edit: 6 years, 11 months ago by DINKYBOY.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 6 years, 11 months ago #67

Strange that I could see these two on my PC...I was wondering why there were no replies... or comments...

I have reloaded them again....I can see the photo's... hopefully so can everyone else...

Niall
Last Edit: 6 years, 11 months ago by Dublin6.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 6 years, 11 months ago #68

Thanks Niall, now I can see these beautiful trucks too.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 6 years, 11 months ago #69

Platinum Boarder
Niall,                    Thanks for those great pictures. I have always thought this truck could be made to look a bit nicer, and your friend did it with the drivers tarp, driving lights and those wheels do stand out. 

Of course the detailed body work is that of a craftsman. Well done. Have him join up. You can also tell him from me...........

"IT LOOKS FACTORY TO ME"

dinkyboy
Last Edit: 6 years, 11 months ago by DINKYBOY.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 6 years, 11 months ago #70

Platinum Boarder
Niall

Those army trucks are great - any chance of some more shots and a bit of a write up on the resto.

Hugh

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Existed! 3 years, 11 months ago #71

Senior Boarder
Hi Fodenway,

I searched the forum for Scammell Scarab and found your post. I have a nice example of the tanker trailer, which needs repainting, but it's missing the fifth wheel attachment. I found a photo of the item on the net (apologies to the owner) to help illustrate.

Do you, or does anyone else, know where I could source one of these? I scoured Steve Flowers' lists but no joy. I realize that it's not a part that might be in wide demand so I'll probably end up searching for a breaker but, just in case, I thought I'd run it past you.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Existed! 3 years, 11 months ago #72

Gold Boarder
Hi, I'm sorry I can't be the bearer of good news, as far as I know no-one makes this coupling as a repro part. I had to collect various parts gradually from junkers at toyfairs and off Ebay, . I decided to make the guide rollers (with the red rim in the photo) rather than spend more time and money looking for them, so I measured them up and used pop rivets, gripping the steel shank in my drill chuck and using the edge of a file to shape the flanges to a flatter profile before cutting off to the desired length. I think I used an old axle from my scrap box - if Iremember correctly, the rivet shank was slightly too short .
Steve Flowers does repros of the Spot-On automatic coupler as fitted to their Bedford, Thames Trader and Austin artic units. It probably won't work with the Crescent parts, but might be an alternative solution.
I hope this helps,
Kevin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: binnsboy650

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 3 years, 11 months ago #73

Junior Boarder
GREAT JOB !!!
Marcello

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 2 years, 9 months ago #74

Junior Boarder
From Mike and Sue Richardson's book, page 215, the Leyland tanker. It was a bit more work than it looks...

A few of the conversion steps:

Planning the shortening of the tank, and other machining to make it fit the Leyland chassis.

Machining the tank for shortening...

All the parts ready for paint and assembly, with a Matchbox of the same truck for checking proportions.

It was careful cutting!

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, RoutemasterNL, janwerner

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 2 years, 9 months ago #75

Platinum Boarder
Nice work and nice to see you have the equipment and the knowledge to work with them. Great stuff. I see you have really thought this one out too with that step on both sides of the tanker. Great strength in the join that way.

I am now wondering how you will join these parts. I have a few methods but have never tried them on this large a project.
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Nobleco.
Moderators: andyman7