Dinky Toys That Never Exixted!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group

TOPIC: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted!

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #46

Platinum Boarder
janwerner wrote:
Oops, sorry for the duplication then, Dave. A bit stupid. Thanks for your keen attention!

No please, I didn't mean any criticism. Your articles are always so fascinating they're well worth reading again. 

And I just love those artics.  

Dave

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #47

Platinum Boarder
Same here - such a great story and photos, that I do not tire of seeing it again. I think it's so creative to "re-create" a never seen Dinky!!!  Thanks a million!
Last Edit: 7 years, 3 months ago by karls.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #48

Gold Boarder
Excellent work Jan, I love the Bedford in Mobilgas colours, thanks very much for taking the trouble to make these wonderful models possible!

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #49

Platinum Boarder
Jan

The Bedford tankers are absolutely wonderful, but I do have a soft spot for the Dinky 25 series Bedfords. They are such a versatile model to work with especially alongside other Dinky models to achieve Dinky Toys which were never made. Excellent stuff!

How did you fix the Bedford cab backplate to the underside of the tanker?

Regards Hugh

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #50

Platinum Boarder
Glad you like it, Hugh!

I will try and make a photograph of the connection at an appropriate moment.

Kind regards, Jan

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #51

Platinum Boarder
The fools in charge of the asylum missed a trick with the SPC as they liked to call it (it was called the spectrum saloon car in the show) as it looks better in met blue...

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #52

Platinum Boarder
I did not fix them, I just made them fit. I think we all hated the idea that we could not un-couple many articulated Dinkies, like the lorry, like the Tank Transporter etc. in playing with them in our childhood. So they are just loose. The solution is very simple, just finding a ring and a pin of the correct size and ... ready! The kit (the dark green one) had the ring already cast into the white metal base plate. I just finished the bases of my own creations by pasting a piece of sturdy black paper, trimmed to the correct shape, all over the bottom and the axle recess. It doesn't have to be a heavy construction because it does not have to be play-proof. Some photos:

As an enthusiast of those very important factory drawings of Dinky Toys, I have always regretted that the assembly drawing - of which I can deduct that it has (or had) the job no. 13130, has never turned up so far. This was a challenge for me to reconstruct that unknown drawing at the same time that I was investigating its history and trying to give this model a 3D revival. Here it is (I have clearly indicated that this is a reconstruction and no original Meccano factory drawing whatsoever:

Kind regards, Jan
Last Edit: 7 years, 3 months ago by janwerner.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #53

Platinum Boarder
Brilliant idea Jan and wouldn't a cut down baseplate from a Studebaker tanker do the trick? As they are the same size & scale I presume?

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #54

Platinum Boarder
Hi Michael, that would be an attractive idea, of course.

Unfortunately, despite some similarities, they do not match at all.

Besides, the scale of the Studebaker is 1:60, whereas the Bedford trucks are 1:48.

See the difference:

Regards, Jan

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #55

Platinum Boarder
There is a big difference! I've seen a few of these Bedford tanker code 3 models some have been resin and some in white metal the last one I saw was in Guinness livery all black even the hubs at a toy fair in Bolton but I didn't have enough cash and by the time I got back from the cash machine it'd gone sold to person or persons unknown annoying when that happens but this collecting lark is swings and roundabouts as the saying goes..
Last Edit: 7 years, 3 months ago by michael77.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #56

Platinum Boarder
Jan

Many thanks for the photos and the explanation. Your approach has certainly given me room for thought.

In the UK we have a saying, "belt and braces" = heavy construction and I think I'm guily of exactly that - see the photo:-

This is the Bedford artic. I drill out the pillar and tap it to 6BA and then fix with a washer and cheese-head screw of the right length. It's probably stronger that the original Dinky fixing!!!

It also restricts your ability to interchange with other models which is the real thing I liked about your photos. It's given me some ideas. Thanks once again.

Regards  Hugh

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #57

Platinum Boarder
With the arrival of some slightly warmer weather I have been out to the garage and a little progress has been made.

Next job primer.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #58

Nice and clean sofar Hugh, yeah it is good that the weather is getting better

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #59

Platinum Boarder
Yes, looking good and I must get myself a couple of these to do as well. I have both in stock condition from my childhood and have a couple of each restored but not swapped.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years ago #60

Platinum Boarder
Well, progress is being made albeit rather slowly. The recent warm weather in the UK has let me get to the garage with the following results:- Bedford Breakdown Truck or Wrecker

The next one I'm not so happy with, the paint job could be better and my choice of colours could also be better. But I thought I would show the good, the bad and I'll save the ugly till next time.

Next (not sure when) come the Commer Refuse Wagon.

Hugh
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls
Moderators: andyman7