Dinky Toys That Never Exixted!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group

TOPIC: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted!

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Existed! 7 years, 3 months ago #31

Gold Boarder
Hi Jim,

Yes, the trailer is a resin casting (with a resin baseplate), but the Commer tractor is pure Dinky.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Existed! 7 years, 3 months ago #32

Platinum Boarder
Fodenway

Many thanks for the shots. I think the Bedford tanker is absolutely brilliant - everything about it is right. I intend to show your shots to a couple of pals of mine and will let you know what they think.

Regards - Hugh

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #33

Platinum Boarder
Fodenway, those artics are absolutely beautiful. In fact all the things you've shown us are just great.

Dave.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Existed! 7 years, 3 months ago #34

Platinum Boarder
FODENWAY,         VERY NICE CODE 3's and sharing great pictures as well.

They all "LOOK FACTORY TO ME"

dinkyboy
Last Edit: 7 years, 3 months ago by DINKYBOY.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Existed! 7 years, 3 months ago #35

Gold Boarder
Wow, thanks for all your kind remarks!

Here's a few more....

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #36

Platinum Boarder
Fodenway - just picked up on your difficulties with the photos and cropping. I use a Nero Photosnap basic programme which I think can be downloaded for free?? Have used it for years.

I am no whizz kid on the computer but Nero has all the components for basic editing and has never let me down, if it were too complex then I wouldn't/couldn't use it. Hope this is of some use.

Regards Hugh

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #37

Platinum Boarder
FODENWAY wrote:
Hi, I've tried twice to post one without any success - I cropped photos to show just the detail area and uploaded them, but they had reverted to full size - obviously no good for a "guess the detail" teaser! I've also tried photographing the detail area, but even on super macro setting, my camera (8mp) can't focus effectively. Any suggestions?

After cropping, you store them on your PC under a new name?  And view them and they look OK?  I do that all the time without issue.  Then upload them?

My macro does not work well up close either - so I back up some and then crop the image later with freeware (irfanview)...  Good luck.  Your photos so far look great!

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Existed! 7 years, 3 months ago #38

Gold Boarder
...And another. I'm surprised that Dinky never did a British fire officer's car, as all their fire appliances were British outline, but the car was the American Nash Rambler! This one is obviously just a repaint of the Humber police car, and sits well with Dinky's other fire engines

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Existed! 7 years, 3 months ago #39

Platinum Boarder
I would agree that this looks very good as a Fire Car. It is a shame that Dinky never did a British Fire car. The Rover would have been a good cadidate too

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #40

Platinum Boarder
It's a lovely idea but it would have been a complete fiction. In those post war decades local government authorities in the UK didn't provide cars for senior Fire Officers.

Each fire appliance had a crew of 5 ordinary Firemen plus a Senior or Leading Fireman. If the Station Officer felt it necessary to attend he would ride the jump seat in one of the appliances. Anyone of a rank higher than that was a desk jockey and had no business at the scene of a fire. He would only have got in the way!  

Dave

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #41

Platinum Boarder
My rendition of the never made Dinky Toys Bedford Articulated Streamlined Petrol Tanker, designed in 1948.

The three versions I built: the dark green one a kit (tanker body only), the two-tone lighter green one with a fully own-made body showing the appearance as it might have been issued in 1948, using the colours of the two-tone contemporary Single Deck Bus, and the red one, also own-compiled, as it might have looked like in the mid-1950s.

These were the basic components I made for my own creations.

And these were the parts needed for the kit, which was delivered to me by Brain Salter. The body of resin, the (incorrect) base plate of white metal and the rest scrap parts of an original Dinky Bedford Articulated Lorry.

Some other pictures:

The red one with a box as it might have looked like in the mid-1950s

The two-tone light green one showing details the way I made them at the rear end.

The darker green one, a perfect match with its contemporary companions in my opinion.

The body factory drawing, no. 13131 of 13 May 1948, also published both in Dinky Toys & Modelled Miniatures and The Great Book of Dinky Toys.

The lesser known design for the base plate, no. 13130 of 19 May 1948.

By the way, I produced my models even before I became the lucky owner of the Original factory drawings, based on magnified scaled photocopies of the illustration in Dinky Toys & Modelled Miniatures (page 251).

Kind regards, Jan
Last Edit: 7 years, 3 months ago by janwerner.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #42

Platinum Boarder
Excellent work Jan. I seem to remember you've shown us these before at some stage.

Dave.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #43

Platinum Boarder

I think that the title of this thread is wrong. It should be "Code 3 Dinky Toys".

The title "Dinky that never existed" would be more suitable for the 100 + models that were planed and never issued.
Last Edit: 7 years, 3 months ago by dinkycollect.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #44

Platinum Boarder
Oops, sorry for the duplication then, Dave. A bit stupid. Thanks for your keen attention!

Hopefully I used some other pictures for variation.

I agree with you Jacques. It's mostly due to the lack of a systematic scheme that these things get mixed up (headings, topics, duplication).

Regards, Jan
Last Edit: 7 years, 3 months ago by janwerner.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 3 months ago #45

Platinum Boarder
Jan,

It is amazing that nobody has yet copied Nigels forum which is thousands of miles ahead any other ones. The idea is so evident and simple.

How long is it since a thread has been added to TMT except earlier this week when I started one for the late Mike † ? TMT is also by far the best concerning the content. No bullshit there and no improvements needed, they have all been done in the earliest months of that site. It is not the case here.
Moderators: andyman7