Dinky Toys That Never Exixted!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group

TOPIC: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted!

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 7 months ago #16

I agree Michael.

You gave me an idea for one of my next projects. thanks

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 7 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
Jim,  I do not have a Commer Wrecker yet, never been on any wish list, but I am heading that way. If I end up with one that is not worth keeping Original, I will get the best Rust-Oleum Blue Grey combo that matches yours and go to work. It is a beauty!.

Theo thanks again. If you plan to do the Rambler #173, the builder used something else for the "Trunk" lid, not bonnet- the other thing - whatchamacallit -  you know - back cover, boot. Yeah BOOT. The cut off roof piece can be used as Jim said, but the raised lines would not be the real trunk top. On the other hand , leave them and who cares, or just file them off and smooth the deck out. Just cutting the extra clear plastic off then a slight scoring to bend the back rear window should also work. Again what Am I telling the expert, you will figure it out.

Lastly, Michael77. It has been on the market for a while and I have turned down some nice offers because of greed. MINE. If you are interested, send me PM and I will send you a bunch of pictures, some close-ups and you can decide. I am not pushing you...... If you search the Topics Restoration/Modify, I did a 6 section of building this for those who wanted to try my method. it is much all there for you to try as well. But, it is for sale as well as all the other 6 wheelers except for the original. Blue /Blue.

Again I am greedy, but Jim has smacked me in the back of the head with one of those Canadian Blue Spruce 2X4's, and my local following has bought me out and no need for any more, I have these to sell or keep. Not costing me anything to keep. Let me know, I am not pushing the sale of any......... OOOOOOPs, the Yellow/Blue & Orange/Green (Orange cab) SOLD. They are long gone. I just had those pictures.

I just inserted a few bottom pictures to show they ARE DINKY SUPERTOYs

dinkyboy
Last Edit: 7 years, 7 months ago by DINKYBOY.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 7 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
Progress is being made albeit slowly - the cold weather doesn't help. All items are now back to where they need a going over with a rotary brass wire brush.

1. Commer Refuse Wagon. The opening and slot to accept the winding mechanism have been put in and a dummy run went well.

2. Bedford Breakdown Truck. Not too much to do here except strip and clean, however I do have a choice of crane jibs where on one I have retained the black enamel type finish that was under the original green paint and one taken back to the original metal which I intend to paint - but what colour???

3. Commer Artic. Having removed the rivet which secures the swivel plate to the trailer I drilled and tapped it to 6BA with a countersunk screwhead that fits below the top of the swivel plate. It has just over 3 full turns of thraed. The rest of the work was strip and clean.

Many thanks for all of your suggestions on colour - I did especially like the grey and blue Commer breakdown.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 7 months ago #19

Looking great so far Hugh and thanks for the photos.

I'd go for the blue grey combo and use the black jib on the breakdown truck

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Existed! 7 years, 5 months ago #20

Gold Boarder
Nice work on the Commers , and here's a shot of another that was planned (with the Bedford cab) but never actually produced. Thanks to an enterprising collector, the original Dinky drawings were turned into resin reality so that at least some of us could enjoy the model. I found this one on Ebay a few weeks ago, numbered 6 on the end of the box. How many were made? Were they all the same colour? Were there any Bedford versions? And who was that enterprising collector?

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Existed! 7 years, 5 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
Nice Combo, thanks for showing. Is this one Resin???

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Existed! 7 years, 5 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
Fodenway - the Bedford and Commer tankers look wonderful. Any chance of a few shots of the Bedford tanker.

Thanks Hugh

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Existed! 7 years, 5 months ago #23

Gold Boarder
Hi Hugh,

The Bedford tanker is actually more Crescent than Dinky - only the cab came from Binns Road. The trailer and most of the tractor chassis came from a small group of models made by Crescent Toys. They were very nicely done replicas of the Scammell Scarab mechanical horse which came with a choice of three trailers. a low-loader with winch and drop-down loading ramp, a plain open-sided cargo trailer and the tanker. All the models had working automatic couplings. As the tractor reversed under the trailer, the landing legs folded backwards and the coupling automatically locked in place. To uncouple, lifting the "engine cover" behind the cab released the coupling, and as the tractor pulled forward, the legs swung downwards and locked in the vertical position, a very effective and realistic representation of the real thing. The Crescent parts were found cheaply at toyfairs over a few years, and a very distressed tanker trailer came from Ebay last year at a good price, albeit with some parts of the coupling missing. No matter, I already had most of what I needed, just the guide rollers missing - I made these very easily from pop rivets! The Scammell cabin was removed from its chassis, and the front end of the chassis trimmed to acccept the Dinky cab. The dinky baseplate was trimmed and folded at the rear to fit after joining the parts together. 

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 5 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
This never existed well not officially anyway... I like the Commer and Bedord artics and Mr Jan Werner has a Bedord version with the correct trailer 

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 5 months ago #25

Nice photos of a very nice combination Hugh, glad the uploading worked out.

Now we just have to wait for the guess the vehicle photo

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 5 months ago #26

Gold Boarder
Thanks for the comments Michael, here are a few more of my one-offs..

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 5 months ago #27

Gold Boarder
Hi, I've tried twice to post one without any success - I cropped photos to show just the detail area and uploaded them, but they had reverted to full size - obviously no good for a "guess the detail" teaser! I've also tried photographing the detail area, but even on super macro setting, my camera (8mp) can't focus effectively. Any suggestions?

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 5 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
Very nice trucks and they really look good in these cominations. Too bad Dinky did not do them, might have made a difference in the end.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 5 months ago #29

Hugh,

I think you have to use a photo editor to cut the photo to the size you want

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 5 months ago #30

Platinum Boarder
Some very nice work there Fodenway. It just goes to show what Dinky may have acheived if they went for some of these.
Moderators: andyman7