Dinky Toys That Never Exixted!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group

TOPIC: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted!

Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 7 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
I am in the process of restoring models to create the following:-

1. Commer Refuse Wagon.

2. Bedford Breakdown Truck.

3. Commer Artic. (I know this did exist but not with early castings).

What I want to avoid is spraying them in any colour remotely similar to the original colours and would welcome any suggestions, and photographs, as to what combinations (including the wheel hubs) would look the part.

My restorations have mostly been to use the original colour sceme because I don't have a good artistic eye for this sort of thing, AND 2 heads are better than one.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 7 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Paint them colours that aren't standard mix the paints into a shade that will look both good and unique... For years this didn't exist either....  

Last Edit: 7 years, 7 months ago by michael77.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 7 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
HUGH,   I use RUST-OLEUM in the spray can. There are light colored primers as well as general use primers, and etching primers = that show if there is a hidden fracture. They offer a great selection of colors. Some colors are close but not the same.
   I also bake it on with heat lamps. Nobleco uses a toaster oven.
     dinkyboy
Last Edit: 7 years, 7 months ago by DINKYBOY.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 7 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Erwin, I only use my toaster oven for drying toys after washing them from paint stripper or bead blasting. I also use heat lamps, reptile infrared lamps and I just blew on the other day so had to go to town to get one. 75watts and was almost $20.00. Last one worked for just over 8 months always on so not bad and it cost me about $16.00. So still cheap source for drying painted toys. I have not used my toaster oven for paint drying in about 3 or 4 years now.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 7 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
First the common color.

Then not so common color.

And another not so common color.

Then the rufuse wagon. Common Color. This can also be done like the first Commer Wrecker.

And the Bedford Artic in common color.

All the above are my restorations. All can be swapped around for color combinations. Black and white also looks good as a Dark and light green would too.

Good luck on deciding the colors you want, these are all stock colors but the grey and red wreckers are the rarer of them.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 7 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Just a suggestion about the colours, you might like to look at the work done by "code 3 customs and restorations" on this site, he has a very good eye for detail.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 7 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
With my Bedford wrecker I bought a few years back the front cab was restored and the rear just left as is. The cab was brown and it looked really nice in that colour.

You may have seen this picture before, but shows what you can do.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 7 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
I like that bedord in Brown, looks really nice.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 7 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Some of these you have previously viewed, but I believe they belong in this thread.

From my workbench
     dinkyboy

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 7 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Just a few more and different views.

I have not photoed all, but latest count about 26 or so saved from the trash bin. Not one has been modified without the chassis fractured behind the cab.

dinkyboy

Now we are having FUN..........

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 7 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
NOBLECO,    Very nice Jim, they all   " LOOK FACTORY TO ME"   

.......... but I really like that Blue / Grey  Commer Wrecker.

dinkyboy

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 7 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
I almost forgot this one. Purchased it about 2 + years ago through the bay, I believe from a fellow in the U.K. It had a glued rivet and was in the process of establishing 50,000 + carpet miles when the rivet got  loose. You can see my fix, a 6/32 button head screw tapped into the rivet post and secured with thread lock. It now has wear but no abuse and is probably well over 150,000 carpet miles now. My grandchildren really like this one.  

His work is very nice and I had a choice of colors. Dr. Rossi of South America also displays in his collection this Code 3 Rambler in a different color combination.

dinkyboy

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 7 months ago #13

All great looking cars and trucks Erwin, I really like them all and that Nash, I have not seen that before

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 7 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Erwin: The Blue is a color I have here from my supplier. The Dark Grey I had to make up with humbrol Grey and lots of black until I got the mix right. Took some time and one day I will do one for myself. This was for a customer on Vancouver Island.

Theo:  You have never seen this before as it is not made by dinky. It comes from the 173 Nash Rambler Station wagon. But the back of the roof off, use it for the rear deck and take the window and chop off the rear and excess and glue to the chopped from window unit. Spare tire comes from who knows where but it all looks the part and is very well done.

Dr Rossi was a customer of mine a number of years ago and he used to by my restorations when they went to auction. I used to send them to his brother in Miami Florida.

Re: Dinky Toys That Never Exixted! 7 years, 7 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Those are lovely Erwin the crane on the Foden bed should have been released by Dinky and that is one code 3 I'd definitely want
Moderators: andyman7