The Dimple in the Chassis
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Dimple in the Chassis

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 1 week, 4 days ago #16

Expert Boarder
Not quite the same, this one shows the underside of the body, but thanks for making it visible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 1 week, 3 days ago #17

Platinum Boarder
Here are the insides of the 2 Connought I have restored for customers.

And before sand blasting.

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 1 week, 3 days ago #18

Gold Boarder
Just an observation:
I turned a few of my Dinky around to take a look at the baseplates looking for dimples.
There are a lot more models which have one or more dimples in the baseplate.
For example:
#160 Austin A30, 100 series Aston Martin, MG Midget, Austin Healey, Sunbeam Alpine (under the axles),
#163 Bristol, #153 Cunningham, #237 Mercedes, #131Cadilliac, #132 Packard, #168 Singer,
# 182 Porsche, # 175 Hillman Minx, # 157 Jaguar under the axles.

Kind Regards – Wolter.

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 1 week, 3 days ago #19

Expert Boarder
Thank you for the research, I knew there were more., ow to get back to the question of what it was there for.

Was it just for a production facility. May be to align it with an assembly process ?

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 1 week, 3 days ago #20

Platinum Boarder
I have asked Jacques to weight in on this subject.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Krul

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 6 days, 13 hours ago #21

Platinum Boarder
I have a message from Jacques and he still can not log into the site. I will post if later today as I am off to the post office and have a few things to do here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Krul

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 6 days, 10 hours ago #22

Platinum Boarder
Jacque Dujardins Post on this topic: He has asked me to post the below text and the list of Dinky Toys which have dimples in their base plates.

This discussion has already taken place without results on the DTCA forum.

There are at least two mysteries about the baseplates, some have small holes and some have dimples.
Eight models have one or two unexplainesd small holes which are not one of those used for the suspension :
one hole 117, 188, 623, 642, 930
two holes 620, 949, 953

At least 51 models have one, two or even three (#250) dimples which are also unexplained so far but they are not mainly racing cars also the first twelve are either open tourers or open racing cars but there are also some Supertoys and military models.

As what Nobleco sugest, what I think but there is no evidence yet is that these dimples were used for positioning the base plates accurately in the tools during the embossing process. The dimples were tooled at the begining of the production and there are no baseplates without and later with these dimples or the oposite.

This subject has not been mentioned in the Encyclopaedia yet because more investigation is necessary.

I have attached a .pdf list of these models, is it complete ? I will be glad to add models to the list if members can find any. As because the owners of this forum do not care, I can still not post on this forum and you may post the message above and the list on planet... on my behalf.

Kind regards.

Jacques

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 6 days, 10 hours ago #23

Platinum Boarder
The list of Dinky Toys with dimples is long and if there are others that have dimples that are not on this list, Jacque would like to know so he can add them to his list.

I did not feel like typing the list out here so I scanned them into JPG files.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 6 days ago #24

this is a very interesting topic

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 5 days, 14 hours ago #25

Platinum Boarder
Yes and there are a great many base plates with dimples in them. More that I thought.

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 5 days, 7 hours ago #26

Platinum Boarder
If by chance anyone has a model not mentioned in the list you can contact me and I can forward the information to Jacques.
Jim

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 5 days, 3 hours ago #27

Expert Boarder
How about we find any from the list without a dimple (unrestored)

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 4 days, 14 hours ago #28

Platinum Boarder
Jacques says that a car either has a dimple or it does not. If you find one with out a dimple that is on the list I am sure he would want to know about it and a picture of it as well. He says he has no evidence of base plates first having a dimple and then it being removed or a base plate that has no dimple later having a dimple. No evidence as of yet anyway. If you have a picture you can forward that to me at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
  • Page:
Moderators: andyman7