The Dimple in the Chassis
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Dimple in the Chassis

The Dimple in the Chassis 2 weeks, 1 day ago #1

Expert Boarder
<p>
<br /><br />
</p>
<p>I have removed the dimple in one or two of my restorations. But now I see that it may be part of the manufacturing process. It is above the 'Y'. Can anyone shed light on this ?</p>

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 2 weeks, 1 day ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Jacque's Encyclopedia does not shed any light on this dimple. Could it be for placement in the toy? Or maybe it was a machine guide for stamping the base and or working. You have one rivet hole to go around and not over with the wording. Otherwise I have no idea why it is there. Maybe Jan Werner knows?

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 2 weeks, 1 day ago #3

Difficult totell wether it is a mistake or on purpose. If it has a purpose, I can't figure out why. Perhaps you can find images of the same car on the net? That could be the start of your answer.

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 2 weeks, 1 day ago #4

Expert Boarder
I have checked my collection and all my connaught models have dimples. I will check my past restorations to see if other models have the same.

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 2 weeks ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I think they all have that dimple. What it is for I don't know. The ones I have restored have the dimple and Jacques shows it in his Encyclopedia but does not refer to it.

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 2 weeks ago #6

Platinum Boarder
If it came from the factory with a dimple in then could it be that it is the end cut of a sheet of metal , it could be the sheets were pressed together for storage to stop them slipping ?

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 2 weeks ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Maybe but then they used that very spot on how many thousands of car base plates for this one car? Hmmm probably not but a good guess. I think it has something to do with placing the base on the car body during assembly.

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 1 week, 4 days ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Interesting????
Mr Jeff - could we see a shot of the underside of the model please. Maybe there is a clue there.
My other thought is - could there be a possibility that the tooling used for this model was old tooling from a deleted model which had been re-machined to suit???
Otherwise I don't have a clue.
Hugh

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 1 week, 4 days ago #9

Platinum Boarder
I have done two Connaught's for a customer. Here is the first one from the underside before stripping. On the finished car it is hard to see the dimple due to camera flash so here is the rusty original in position as received.

And the second one. Not much difference.

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 1 week, 4 days ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Jim - do you have a shot of the underside of the Connaught minus the base plate.
Thanks - Hugh

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 1 week, 4 days ago #11

Expert Boarder
dinkycorgi.com/pagedk/mysearch.php?man=&...;search=Submit+Query

Check this link to my website. The last on the list shows the underside. Click the image for more detail.

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 1 week, 4 days ago #12

Expert Boarder
<p>dinkycorgi.com/content/J4/Connaught%20(J405)/images/DSC_1345.jpg Is just the image.</p>
<p>but the link does not work. Refer to the reply above</p>
Last Edit: 1 week, 4 days ago by mrjeff.

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 1 week, 4 days ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Here is the link in post #12 above. Just copy the complete text from Dinkycorgi in blue to the end of _1345.jpg and paste it into your browser. It is correct so no changes needed once posted but if you don't include the teck in black after %20 it won't work.

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 1 week, 4 days ago #14

Platinum Boarder
i looked over all the base plats and Ref #G114 looks like there is not dimple but if you look closely you can see the depression there. Maybe it did not get stamped fully at the factory. I have yet to see this base without the dimple in all the examples I have see here, on line and in my own files.

Re: The Dimple in the Chassis 1 week, 4 days ago #15

Platinum Boarder
One other thing that members may not know is that if you go back to the email you got that notified you of this new post you will see that the link MrJeff put in is there and complete and clickable and shows the same picture I posted above.
  • Page:
Moderators: andyman7