Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group
  • Page:

TOPIC: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base

Re: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 2 months, 3 weeks ago #16

Junior Boarder
Seems to have different wheels too?

Re: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 2 months, 3 weeks ago #17

Platinum Boarder
I hope this helps out with this topic, I bought this Jag over thirty five years ago , it was in a plastic type bag when I got it & it was supposedly ex shop stock, I stupidly stored this in a box with other un-boxed cars hence the battle scars & marked windows.
The metal base on your one , if white metal , looks a great copy I hope that my pictures of my model will help you with your question.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bioshock

Re: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 2 months, 3 weeks ago #18

Junior Boarder
Cheers
Is that a standard Big Cat Jag?
The base on mine appears to be Diecast, as it has ejector pin marks?
It would be interesting to see if they line up with a plastic one, then it would obviously be a direct casting from that...
Whatever it is, it’s certainly unusual and well worth the £30 I paid for it!

Re: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 2 months, 3 weeks ago #19

The pictures show a standard Big Cat with stickers removed.

Re the base, if it is in metal, a repro copied from an original will have the ejector pin marks show up. The clue to the material is in the weight - white metal is heavier than mazak.

The steel moulding tools used in diecast models can be run in either metal or plastic - in fact the plastic has to be moulded at higher pressure which is why it is often used to test diecast moulds (hence a number of Dinky pre-pro plastic bodies for things like Thunderbird 2 in circulation).

One other thing to remember is that the 'Big Cat' was a contract manufactured model by Lintoy of Hong Kong. That is why the wheels do not match any other model, that type of wheel was the only one the Big Cat came with. Unlike Binns Road models the origination and tooling was all done overseas.
Last Edit: 2 months, 3 weeks ago by andyman7.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bioshock

Re: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 2 months, 3 weeks ago #20

Junior Boarder
Wonder what the wheels are from.
The tyres are identical, but the wheels are a kind of broad 4 spoke?

Re: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 2 months, 3 weeks ago #21

The broad 4 spoke wheels were a standard Binns Road item (used on the Beach Buggy and some of the racing cars) - in fact the very first catalogue mock up of the Big Cat from around 1977 shows those wheels; but as it was not made at Binns Road they weren't used in the productioj version. Of course, as the model is screwed together it is easy enough to make up a version with alternative wheels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 2 months, 3 weeks ago #22

Platinum Boarder
This is where I wish I had left the car as bought, the guy I bought it off at a train fair had quite a few of these all had no stickers on , where as Andyman7 says "a standard Big Cat with stickers removed" I can question as they all had no stickers on & were they a batch which left the factory after it closed without stickers on , the car by the way has a plastic base.
I bought this purely because it was a late dinky at the time after Dinky ceased, I will say that I do have an eye for all models what ever make & as far as I was concerned this model showed no signs of any stickers being on it & the packaging although plastic bag type bore the resemblements of coming from the factory.. I may be wrong ..

Re: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 2 months, 3 weeks ago #23

Junior Boarder
The interesting thing, is it wasn’t sold as some kind of rare variant.
It was simply advertised as a good condition Big Cat Jaguar in a code 3 box.
It has things from what I’ve read as unusual.
The stamped no7 in the glass and the Q stamped seats, which according to the people in the know, point to early run, as the latter ones had no number stamped on the glass and a different letter on the interior?
The plot thickens...
  • Page:
Moderators: andyman7