Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group
  • Page:

TOPIC: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base

Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 1 week, 5 days ago #1

Junior Boarder
<p>Just picked up a Big cat Jaguar (in a code 3 window box)</p>
<p>One thing is it has a white metal base? Its heavy as hell and I thought these came with a black plastic one?</p>
<p>Cheers</p>
<p>Daz</p>

Re: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 1 week, 5 days ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Do you have a picture we can look at please. Sounds interesting with a white metal base. Maybe the car is a code 3 it self and not just the box?

Re: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 1 week, 5 days ago #3

Platinum Boarder
I've looked at this on facebook and think it is a modern metal replacement as it is secured to the body with screws instead of the usual rivets and there is no MADE IN HONG KONG on the base which there should be.

Either a previousely unrecorded prototype has been found or is is an enthusiasts re-work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, Bioshock

Re: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 1 week, 5 days ago #4

Junior Boarder
<p>
</p>

Re: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 1 week, 5 days ago #5

Junior Boarder
<p>
</p>

Re: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 1 week, 5 days ago #6

Junior Boarder
<p>
</p>

Re: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 1 week, 5 days ago #7

Junior Boarder
So I gently undid the two screws and took some more

Re: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 1 week, 5 days ago #8

Junior Boarder

Re: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 1 week, 5 days ago #9

Junior Boarder

Re: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 1 week, 5 days ago #10

Junior Boarder

Re: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 1 week, 5 days ago #11

Junior Boarder
<p>It wasn’t passed off as anything other than excellent Big cat jaguar in a code 3 box? It was cheap too. The paint is inside the threads for the screws the posts are square where the screws go in, not something you can do when you drill and tap. and looking at the typical wonky decals, it doesn’t look like someone has tried restoring it!</p>
<p>Strange.</p>
Last Edit: 1 week, 5 days ago by Bioshock.

Re: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 1 week, 5 days ago #12

OK don't get too excited. All Big Cat models are screwed together. The plastic bases tend to get chipped/damaged so it appears that someone has made a White Metal mould to cast replacements - this can be done in a home workshop and doesn't need industrial facilities. None of the major British diecast manufacturers ever used white metal as a base for any prototype stages. The processes pre-production involved large size wooden mockups, resin samples, test shot diecast parts.
Last Edit: 1 week, 5 days ago by andyman7.

Re: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 1 week, 5 days ago #13

Junior Boarder
Err, I'm not getting excited.

There are a thousand and one fake steeds out there I know, just from reading up on them over the last couple of days. I was just a bit surprised someone would go to the effort with a Big cat, that goes for very small sums.

Just seemed unusual to have a metal base with a 7 stamped glass and a 'Q' stamped interior.

I don't think it will end up at Sotherby's for 10K!

Just wanted views on it, as I'm not an expert. the Screw base was in reply to above, where the poster said they were all riveted...

Re: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 1 week, 5 days ago #14

Thanks for sharing - sorry if I sounded a bit grumpy, not the intention. I've recently been made aware of some fairly big £££ scams relating to Corgi models where as a result of putting a few items through auction houses, certain repro/code 3 inventions have acquired enough of a back story to start fooling collectors into paying big money.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bioshock

Re: Big Cat Jaguar with a metal base 1 week, 5 days ago #15

Junior Boarder
<p>No worries!</p>
<p>I just thought it was unusual that others had a black base.</p>
<p>Ive read all 40 pages! Of the Steed/Big cat thread on here and a metal base wasn’t mentioned.</p>
<p>Whatever it is, it’s going on the shelf.</p>
<p>cheers</p>
<p>Daz</p>
Last Edit: 1 week, 5 days ago by Bioshock.
  • Page:
Moderators: andyman7