Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky Jaguar 157

Dinky Jaguar 157 4 months ago #1

Expert Boarder
<p>Is this an export model? The colors look genuine but I can't find any info.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Dinky Jaguar 157 4 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Looks over painted to me. Maybe the hubs too. There is a sage green body with light tan ridged hubs. Any two tones are not done like this anyway. See the photo from Jacque DuJardins DVD Dinky Toys Encyclopedia. Note the two tones and your sage green one. That red or brown has been painted on by some one else is my guess.

Re: Dinky Jaguar 157 4 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
You should send these photos of Jacque. He would be interested if it is genuine and he would know.

Re: Dinky Jaguar 157 4 months ago #4

you can see some spots of brown paint on the base.....or is it rust?

Re: Dinky Jaguar 157 4 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I think that may be a bit of rust. You can see where the axles have worn on the base and rust is there. The sage body color and the underside both say original to me but that two-tone paint is not, in my opinion anyway. I have not found another example of this type of two-tone painting.

Re: Dinky Jaguar 157 4 months ago #6

Expert Boarder
It is just dirt, no paint no rust, maybe a poor photo!
Jacques confirms that the brown paint has been added at some time. Hard to find his contact details so a reminder that you can email him: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
So, what to do with the overpaint. I am not sure to leave alone, try to strip with mild paint stripper or any suggestions. This color jaguar, according to Jacques, is only 1.5% of production and therefore one of the rarer models.

Re: Dinky Jaguar 157 4 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
The underside looks ok except there might have been some touching up to the front bumper with silver paint, everything else looks in line with age and wear & tear. The body just doesn't look right, quite apart from the issue of not being able to find one like it in the books, the two colours just don't go together. My take on it is an overpaint job and whoever did it didn't do too bad a job on the line work. IMHO
Hugh

Re: Dinky Jaguar 157 3 months, 4 weeks ago #8

I would leave it as it is.

Re: Dinky Jaguar 157 3 months, 4 weeks ago #9

Platinum Boarder
I agree with Hugh in that it looks to me as well that the front underside of the bumpers was painted. None of the ones I have restored have the underside of the front bumper painted silver and the ones on Jacque's DVD also do not have silver there either.

Theo says leave it as is and I would tend to agree if it is that rare. Not many examples out there so.....probably worth more as is.
  • Page:
Moderators: andyman7