i would like some suggestions on a canopy color for what truck??
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group
  • Page:

TOPIC: i would like some suggestions on a canopy color for what truck??

i would like some suggestions on a canopy color for what truck?? 6 months, 3 weeks ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>I have been trying to decide what truck to put a new canopy on and what color it should be.</p>

Re: i would like some suggestions on a canopy color for what truck?? 6 months, 3 weeks ago #2

Platinum Boarder
I have A MECCANO Engineering for Boys decal set I want to use too. Here are the 25 series trucks I have. All restored.

This is the canopy as I received it. I will be bead blasting it.

I was thinking of white or cream for the canopy but maybe it should be the same as the truck.
Any suggestions???

Re: i would like some suggestions on a canopy color for what truck?? 6 months, 3 weeks ago #3

Platinum Boarder
It looks to me like the canopy has a protective coating of maybe primer of some sort on it. Maybe for storage so they don't rust so much? Any one know? These have always come bright metal.
Dinky 521 Bedford articulated and will fit the large trailer and others. 689 Medium Artillery tractor. 30M Austin and 80d/818 Berliet Army Truck

Re: i would like some suggestions on a canopy color for what truck?? 6 months, 3 weeks ago #4

Platinum Boarder
I did these for a customer a few years ago. You may remember them. Not sure I want the same though.

Re: i would like some suggestions on a canopy color for what truck?? 6 months, 3 weeks ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Black could work also as it contrasts the black fenders on the green truck anyways , providing you could see any decals applied (if any are applied).

Body colour isn't a bad choice though really.

Re: i would like some suggestions on a canopy color for what truck?? 6 months, 3 weeks ago #6

Platinum Boarder
These are the decals I am going to use on the canopy.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: i would like some suggestions on a canopy color for what truck?? 6 months, 3 weeks ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>Jim, most canopies I have are either plastic or selfmade from tin.</p>
<p>It seems as if any colour will suit these impressive trucks, but of course, using the decals you showed you have to use a light colour for the canopies, otherwise you will not see the lettering 'engineering for boys'.</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: i would like some suggestions on a canopy color for what truck?? 6 months, 2 weeks ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Jim - Nice restorations I like them.
I assume that you intend to use the same decal on all three models, if that's the case then it rules out a black canopy which I was going to suggest for both the blue and cream trucks. Perhaps a contrast for the green truck using a dark green which might just work with the decal. Now where're back to the other two.
Using the decal with "engineering for boys" does limit the colours to being light so, as Keesie said, you can see it. What about cream for the blue truck and off white for the cream truck and try a darker green for the green truck.
Hugh

Re: i would like some suggestions on a canopy color for what truck?? 6 months, 2 weeks ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys and good suggestions Hugh. I am only doing one truck with a canopy and I am tending to a cream on the blue truck, I had thought white on the yellow truck would look good and I would to a lighter green for the green truck but I wanted other opinions and I have them. Dark green on the green truck would also look very good. I will think on this over the week while I am finishing of the Bristol Britannia plane and I am starting another 2 RR Silver Wraiths and an S2 Bentley this week as well.

Re: i would like some suggestions on a canopy color for what truck?? 6 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Well, the canopy is done and I decided on the color that is on the Orange truck above but I am putting it on the green truck.
Here are some photos.
I cleaned up the canopy in the Bead Blaster.

Re: i would like some suggestions on a canopy color for what truck?? 6 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
It look better than it arrived.

Re: i would like some suggestions on a canopy color for what truck?? 6 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
There was some grey film or paint from the factory where the tin sheet was made. I took that off.
Then I primed it.

Re: i would like some suggestions on a canopy color for what truck?? 6 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Looking at it all on the screen it does not look like I did anything to this metal but it is primed, Now for the finished product. I like it. In fact I may have to get a couple more canopies and some different decals.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: i would like some suggestions on a canopy color for what truck?? 6 months ago #14

The color combination looks the part Jim. Very good idea to make a few other liveries too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, Andy66

Re: i would like some suggestions on a canopy color for what truck?? 6 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
In a word "Fantastic" I agree it certainly looks the part.
  • Page:
Moderators: andyman7