The man and his Dinky Toys
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group
  • Page:

TOPIC: The man and his Dinky Toys

The man and his Dinky Toys 7 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>Once a year all people who do volunteer work here for the elderly are invited for a dinner. I went there and a few years ago I talked to a gentleman about whatever. At a certain moment he mentioned he had a small Dinky collection, and I said I took an interest in seeing them. He said no one ever took an interest, and therefore they are in the back of his house. Anyway, I rang him the day after, and we could not arrange a meeting, so I left it over to him.</p>
Last Edit: 7 months ago by Keesie.

Re: The man and his Dinky Toys 7 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
<p>The year passed, and the next year we had a dinner again. No meeting. Last week we had dinner again. The gentleman came up to me and after 3 years......I went to see him today.</p>

Re: The man and his Dinky Toys 7 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
<p>He is 80 years old now and when he was young (around 1946-50) he had  about 70 Dinky Toys. He mentioned some costed about 1 guilder in the shop. At that time he had a friend, same age, same interest. In later years they came into contact again, to find out they still had all of their Dinky's.</p>
<p>Last year his friend passed away, and he was given the collection of his friend.</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: PoliTom2

Re: The man and his Dinky Toys 7 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
<p>First he showed me the collection of his friend, which was in the rear of the sitting room.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>The three green/black models on the book in the front are very special: over 70 years ago he went to the shop, saw these three, and he had enough money to buy them. He showed them to his friend, who wanted them as well, but as he wasn't able to go himself, asked him to go to the shop for him. He did, and bought the same three models for his friend. The models for his friend were all green/black, and the models for himself were two blue/black and one green/black, as you can see in the last pictures.</p>
<p>
upload images no register mobile</p>
<p> </p>

Re: The man and his Dinky Toys 7 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
<p>
</p>

Re: The man and his Dinky Toys 7 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
<p>After we discussed the models of his friend we went to the rear of the house where his own collection was.</p>
<p>Fifth row from the top the 3 models he also bought for his friend.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, blackstone

Re: The man and his Dinky Toys 7 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
<p>Both collections are about 70-75 models each.</p>
<p>In our talk he explained he never went to toyfairs, never bought any after his youth. Only one model, the Altas Citroen DS (third row from the top) was given to him recently without the box, and he thought it was an original mint Dinky......</p>
<p>We agreed he would come over to my place soon.</p>

Re: The man and his Dinky Toys 7 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Those are quite the collections and with great variation too. Lots of motorcycles with side cars but I see no single motorcycles. I also notice the yellow caravan someone, probably you friend, painted around the windows and over the wheel arch. Kids love to add their own touch which makes this one even more special as he seemed to like it very much to paint it with red. I also see a scooter in a trailer in a trailer on another trailer on the bottom shelf in the last picture.

Re: The man and his Dinky Toys 7 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
A real nice collection, with history from the owner, it is very interesting when there is a story attached to a model, in this case 3 of them.

Re: The man and his Dinky Toys 7 months ago #10

Wow what a story and some absolute fine models there. Thanks for sharing these photos with us.

Re: The man and his Dinky Toys 7 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
nice story of friendship and sharing there Kees with so many models they did not go short on fun one may say!

Looks to me like they both had a Green/Black Daimler each. Oh yes I have one of those too!

H'ARD to tell whose car is whose though when In play.

Re: The man and his Dinky Toys 6 months, 3 weeks ago #12

Platinum Boarder
What a great story, and he kept them all these years! He also has perhaps the first book on Dinky Toys ever: the Mikansue book by Cecil Gibson!!!! A must have for any serious Dinky collector.

Re: The man and his Dinky Toys 6 months, 3 weeks ago #13

Platinum Boarder
<p>Indeed I can imagine that they would fight over which model was from who 70 or more years ago! No, he does not have any books on the subject, did not investigate any further nor did he go to fairs to expand his collection. The fact his own collection is in a back room, not in sight, says enough.....</p>
  • Page:
Moderators: andyman7