Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group
  • Page:

TOPIC: Makeabox

Makeabox 8 months, 2 weeks ago #1

Expert Boarder
<p>I thought I would start a new topic on my project to create a web page for the design of reproduction boxes.</p>
<p>Please keep to the point. I do have many box copies to test, but comments and suggestions welcomed</p>
Last Edit: 8 months, 2 weeks ago by mrjeff.

Re: Makeabox 8 months, 2 weeks ago #2

Expert Boarder

Re: Makeabox 8 months, 1 week ago #3

Expert Boarder
I will post as developments take place and I will try to incorporate any suggestions. I have to add some nudge facility to line up objects with actual boxes.

The idea is that users will be able to create and share facsimile boxes and eventually build a library.

Re: Makeabox 8 months, 1 week ago #4

Platinum Boarder
This sounds like an ambitious project. I will watch to see how it goes.

Re: Makeabox 8 months ago #5

Expert Boarder
mrjeffsplace.com/shoutthenoiz/index.php?...=Create%20this%20Box

Progress, I have now completed a major part. You can now see a complete box based on any dimensions. Keep model number to 155, and dimensions to small inches, and while not the correct box design, gives a good idea of where I am going. Much work still to do.

Re: Makeabox 8 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I tried your box maker program and printed out the box for the 155 Anglia. It does not fit on the 8 1/2" x 11" paper. Am I doing something wrong? Here are the setting I used.

Re: Makeabox 8 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
The color was right on and the car looks good as does all the printing. It is missing the two sides at the edges with the fold.

Re: Makeabox 8 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
I have an original box of the 175 Hillman Minx which is about the same size as the Anglia. My box is much smaller than the print out of the Anglia. Is there a size I should be entering? That would mean I need a box to compare too or do you just measure the car?

Re: Makeabox 8 months ago #9

Expert Boarder
Thank you for giving it a test, always better for a third party test. The print size is dependant on having the settings correct. The box is set to 200dpi so your imaging software and printer setting have to correspond.

There is probably a way to embed the settings in the image, but that will be a later addition. I will try to reproduce your results and see if I need to make some changes.

I will add some more models in the next few days, and do some more test prints. The ability to save settings under a user name will follow.

Re: Makeabox 8 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
I see the template is set for a 4 inch long box. The one I printed is about 5 1/2 inches long. And roughly 2 and 2 1/2 inches on the sides. This may help you or not. Might be my settings on your program though, not sure.

Re: Makeabox 8 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Having made a number of my own boxes the one area that seems to present difficulty is getting the size right. Not sure of a cut and dry answer to this one - they say that size isn't everything but I'm afraid that in this case it is.
Hugh

Re: Makeabox 8 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Well, the toy should fit the box and not be tight against the edges and not so large that the toy rattles around inside the box. The one I printed would be the latter. Too large for the toy. Do you measure the toy? to get the size right? or should it be set by the program?

Re: Makeabox 8 months ago #13

Expert Boarder
Hugh, point taken, and the box can be resized. I made many assumptions when starting the web page and I am sure I am not too far out by adding 1/8" on to the actual model dimensions. I ahve measured the Ford Anglia, 3 3/16 L, 1 3/16 W, 1 3/16 H and applied them to the web page. I have a scan of the box and best measure I can get is 3 1/4, 1 3/8, 1 3/8. However the test is in creating an overlay of the created box with the scan. There are obvious improvements to the layout and positioning of objects, but dimensions are reasonably accurate.

Re: Makeabox 8 months ago #14

Expert Boarder
Click the image to see the dimensions applied. I downloaded the image produced into photoshop resized it to 200dpi, without altering the dimensions which changed automatically when applying the correct dpi.
  • Page:
Moderators: andyman7