153 Vanguard and Box - Those potholes.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group
  • Page:

TOPIC: 153 Vanguard and Box - Those potholes.

153 Vanguard and Box - Those potholes. 9 months, 4 weeks ago #1

Expert Boarder
<p>Restoring the Vanguard, or more precisely, when to do it again. If you ever spent a lot of time preparing a model for painting, only to find the finish is not what you expected, and then tried to fix it and that did not work, and more fixes and that just made more of a mess, well this is that restore. START AGAIN, it takes less time.</p>

Re: 153 Vanguard and Box - Those potholes. 9 months, 4 weeks ago #2

Expert Boarder
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 9 months, 4 weeks ago by mrjeff.

Re: 153 Vanguard and Box - Those potholes. 9 months, 4 weeks ago #3

Expert Boarder

Re: 153 Vanguard and Box - Those potholes. 9 months, 4 weeks ago #4

Expert Boarder

Re: 153 Vanguard and Box - Those potholes. 9 months, 4 weeks ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Did not realise the roof was that badly pitted from the pictures there are it does not show!

Good Restore anyway.

Re: 153 Vanguard and Box - Those potholes. 9 months, 4 weeks ago #6

Expert Boarder
Always difficult to show without good angle/light/camera. The photo after rubbing down shows where they were. I do have a photo booth set up but I am currently away for the most part, so not so good quality.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: 153 Vanguard and Box - Those potholes. 9 months, 4 weeks ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Did you clear coat your model it looks very shiny?

Re: 153 Vanguard and Box - Those potholes. 9 months, 4 weeks ago #8

Expert Boarder
No, all achieved in prep, and lucky with a good tin of spray.

And lots of practice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: 153 Vanguard and Box - Those potholes. 9 months, 4 weeks ago #9

that is an improvement! did you use rivets this time?

Re: 153 Vanguard and Box - Those potholes. 9 months, 4 weeks ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Nice recovery on your roof of the car. I have also had to do the same thing. Sometimes the pitting does not fill in properly and looks a mess when sprayed. I usually test with primer before painting but that does not always show everything. You did a good job and one of these days your will have to start drilling the post out for rivets or small screws. I use SF replacement cast rivets and glue them in.

Re: 153 Vanguard and Box - Those potholes. 9 months, 3 weeks ago #11

Expert Boarder
No Rivets, sorry, my hand won't go to this level of restoration. The next owner can, but after going to the trouble of undoing it, it seems a shame to have the next owner in 40-50 years time have to do the same thing. I think I will try to make my screws look like rivets, it will look better.

Re: 153 Vanguard and Box - Those potholes. 9 months, 3 weeks ago #12

Platinum Boarder

Above are the rivets I use on cars of this size. Small cast rivets I get from SF. Just drill a 5/64 hole in the post after you take the top of it off and then glue the rivets in. You may need to file them and cut them shorter to make them fit properly.
  • Page:
Moderators: andyman7