165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group

TOPIC: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 9 months, 3 weeks ago #16

Platinum Boarder
I would give you one of mine but they are too large. They are for 4mm grommets. I will have to look the seller up and see. I am going to the coast next weekend and maybe I can find the 2mm ones there.

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 9 months, 3 weeks ago #17

Expert Boarder
Thank you. I have ordered the tool plus a stack more eyelet, they are cheap enough and shipping costs are low.

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 9 months, 3 weeks ago #18

Platinum Boarder
<p>mrjeff wrote:
These are 2mm and available from ebay seller trimmingshoplondon . I did not have the appropriate tool and reverted to a simple blow with a hammer, it worked quite well.
<br /><br /><a href="www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2mm-40mm-Eyelet-Punch...2109</a><br /><br />This is presumably what one would need?</p>

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 9 months, 3 weeks ago #19

Platinum Boarder

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 9 months, 3 weeks ago #20

Platinum Boarder
Don't know whether the punch will be a wise purchase or not if Mr Jeff says that his was not useful in the application of his eyelet.

There is also a £6.00 one which costs more than the other and besides, what if I can use the hammer without the need for the punch.

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 9 months, 3 weeks ago #21

Platinum Boarder
The punch is for making a hole if leather or other fabric. Not for Metal. You drill the metal to the appropriate diameter first. I showed this in my RCMP restoration of the Dinky Cadillac. You need the drift for curling over the back side of the eyelet. It is curved on the inside and if you just tap, tap, tap until it is tight you won't damage the face of the eyelet that you see. MrJeff banged on his a little to hard I think.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 9 months, 3 weeks ago #22

Platinum Boarder
<p>Nobleco wrote:
You need the drift for curling over the back side of the eyelet.
<br /><br />What does this mean?</p>

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 9 months, 3 weeks ago #23

Platinum Boarder
It means just what it says. You need a tool called a drift or set that makes the eyelet usable. You have seen the pictures of the eyelet with what looks like a ring with a small tube as one part. That tube has to be curled over to make the eyelet say where you want it or it will fall out. That is what I mean.

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 9 months, 3 weeks ago #24

Expert Boarder
<p>
Sometimes a diagram helps, if you excuse the freehand style.</p>
Last Edit: 9 months, 3 weeks ago by mrjeff.

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 9 months, 3 weeks ago #25

Platinum Boarder
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-PRO-Tools-8-PC-Pin...125f7dd83:g:Eg0AAOSw~hNdDK9s

something like this?

think I know what you mean Nobleco, curle it over so it stays on the underside of the baseplate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 9 months, 2 weeks ago #26

Platinum Boarder
143, those are drift punches. They usually have a flat end and will not work with the eyelets. See Mr Jeff's drawing above. The drift of set need to have a tip with a round groove in the end to fit the eyelet so you don't crush it when you set it on the base.
Yes, it goes through the base from the outside and then on the inside your use the set to curl over the open end so it stays where you want it and does not move or fall out.

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 9 months, 2 weeks ago #27

Platinum Boarder
Where can I acquire one from then?

or shall I just fit eyelet free hand maybe.

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 9 months, 2 weeks ago #28

Expert Boarder
This is where I have ordered mine from ebay seller trimmingshoplondon .
I am sure they use a supplier from China.

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 9 months, 2 weeks ago #29

Platinum Boarder
<p>ah, did not look properly! I might try without the eyelet tool if that works better, I take it you had the 2mm tool.<br /><br /> The first listing is for 500pcs which was why it was so much more expensive. <br /><br /> Which colur eyelet did you go for Mr Jeff?<br /><br /></p>
Last Edit: 9 months, 2 weeks ago by 143Madness.

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 9 months, 2 weeks ago #30

Platinum Boarder
I was just at the shop you suggested Mr Jeff. Their shipping prices were over $100.00 for anything I wanted. I went to another seller with free shipping, 200 2mm eyelets for $7.99. Considering I paid $1.50 for 35 I saved a bit. Works out to $8.57 by 35 at a time here in Canada and I did not include the taxes.
Moderators: andyman7