165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group

TOPIC: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3

165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 11 months ago #1

Expert Boarder
<p>I thought I would branch out for this restoration and pair a Humber Hawk with a caravan.</p>

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 11 months ago #2

Expert Boarder

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 11 months ago #3

Expert Boarder

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 11 months ago #4

Expert Boarder

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 11 months ago #5

Expert Boarder
There were few surprises doing this restoration. But to note that the rear rivet for the caravan is quite small and shallow and I had to rebuild it to be able to use a screw to reattach the base.

The windows for the Humber were scratched and had some paint and damage. I used 400 grit wet and dry followed by 1000 grit and a polish. The end result was not bad, I think I could have done better.

The roof for the Humber could have been brown if I had followed the original lines. I think it looks just as well without.

Also the box for the caravan has the number 1 with serif whereas all the boxes I have done up to now have been without. I am just wondering if there was a change in box manufacture at some point. Research required ?

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 11 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Very nicely done and this combination of a Dinky Car with a Matching Caravan is a major favorite of mine. I have done a number of them and still have 3 or 4 in my collection with about 3 or 4 more to go this winter, I hope.
May I offer a suggestion on the window unit? The sanding i have no problem with and if done carefully it works very well. I go even finer by folding a piece of the finest wet and dry paper I have and rubbing them together. This makes a 1000 grit a 2000 grit and you can really feel the difference. Do it again and you get 4000 grit.
After you have sanded and polished the window unit try dipping it in Clear Non-Yellowing Future Floor wax. I have used it for over a decade with some pretty amazing results. Other here also use it and it clears up haze and fine scratches. It won't fill the cracks or deep scratches though. I buy replacements then
For your suspension I also have a good fix. Go to this link www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=c...amp;Itemid=18#381308
then scroll up to post #10. You can buy these kits in most hobby stores and Knitting sewing shops. They use them for shoe laces or other methods of eyelets lacing, I will leave that up to your imagination. The kit is not expensive and is very handy when repairing suspensions like yours above or the RCMP Police car I am showing you. I have also used it on Rolls Royce Silver Wraiths.
I like your boxes too and that is one thing I don't do well. Need practice and I have the right board to do it. Just got to do it one day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 11 months ago #7

They look the part mr Jeff, well done. The size of the screw is a bit awkward

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 11 months ago #8

Expert Boarder
Yes thank you for info and comments. I have ordered some eyelets, 2mm and 3mm, not sure which one will fit best, and will update when I have received them and re-fixed the base.

Information on the box, the number 1 with serif appears on certain boxes, but not all. I shall try to establish when it was used. At the moment it looks like 1958-1961. On most boxes the number "1" I use is a lower case "L".

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 10 months ago #9

Expert Boarder

And finally the suspension eyelet.

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 10 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Now that looks much better than a bolt. You can also touch up the eyelet with some matt black paint too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrjeff

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 10 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Great work , nice finish & I like the suspension.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrjeff

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 10 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Nice pairing and the due tone combo.

the eyelets 2mm and 3mm which did you end up using in the end?

I would guess some cars may take different size grommets.

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 10 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
These look smaller than the ones I use. As Mr Jeff is about 2.5 hours away I am wondering where he got these as I have been to Michael's in Kelowna and they were not this small.

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 10 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder

Here is the smallest I have been able to find in my Dinky 264 Cadillac RCMP Car.

Re: 165 Humber Hawk and 190 Caravan - Code 3 10 months ago #15

Expert Boarder
These are 2mm and available from ebay seller trimmingshoplondon .
I did not have the appropriate tool and reverted to a simple blow with a hammer, it worked quite well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, 143Madness
Moderators: andyman7