106 Austin Atlantic Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group
  • Page:

TOPIC: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 2 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
That is quite the difference I see there. Thanks, I will have to look at mine. I have heated up mine to bent with flat jaw pliers works every time. Here is one of the few I have done with bent window frames.
[/url]

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 2 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
They did not come out in order as they were loaded.

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 2 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
Considering the state it was in, the model came out beautiful. Is the base rivited back in your last picture?
Was the rear axle bent a bit, and could the rear ryres be taken off without dismanteling? Are the chosen colours factory, like Jim's (and as on the box)?

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 2 months ago #19

Expert Boarder
The base is not yet fixed, it will be tapped and screwed using 4-40 screws.
The colors are near match. The tires can't be removed without removing the base and yes, slight bend on the rear axle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 1 month ago #20

Platinum Boarder
The one i show is for a customer. I have done a few over the years. The ones I did are both short axle supports but I have seen the long ones. The paints I use mostly came from Steve Flowers and are a pretty close match to Dinky colors. At least as close as you can come due to the batches of paint back then having slight variations. That is also why there are so many variations of color on some models.
Take a look at the picture below. I use my dremel and turn down the small or thin end of the axle to remove the hubs. I can then clean and paint them properly and also clean up the axle in my drill press using about 3 grades of emory cloth or wet/dry sand paper. For assembly I use a small 2 oz ball peen hammer and dome the axle end again.

Hopefully you can see the ends in the two pictures below.

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 1 month ago #21

Platinum Boarder
Bottom picture is my peening.

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 1 month ago #22

Platinum Boarder
Great recovery work on the windscreen & again great work on the finish, I really like these models will have to look out for one
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 1 month ago #23

Platinum Boarder
I think I forgot to mention that I do not hammer the metal to put it back where it belongs. I always heat up the car body in my toaster oven to about 200 degrees F. I have welders gloves to hold it with after it is heated and flat jaw small pliers to crimp or pinch the metal back in place. This takes quite some time to do as you can only do so much and the metal cools to where it will crack or break when bent. Heat up again and bend some more. After about 2 hours of heating (which takes about 10 to 15 minutes each time) and bending I have it straight again. Sometimes it takes a while and other times is is quite fast but that could be just me getting into the job and I forget time. I have done this window surround at least three time and the one above was the worst. Not had one that was completely broken off but the surround is available as a replacement part.

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 1 month ago #24

Expert Boarder
<p>And finally, I refinished the base, took advice and used vinegar to soak and clean it. It left it slightly mottled and I was hoping to have that coffee tint left. But never mind, I can always do it again later. The base was finished using a matt spray and then screwed into place. I normally use 4-40 screws, drill size 43 (5/64) which is a bit tight for the use and a 3/32 works just fine. Thank you for all the input. My next project is a Dinky Austin Devon.
</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 1 month ago by mrjeff.

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 1 month ago #25

Platinum Boarder
Looks good. When I soak in Vinegar it does turn the metal a bit on the black side and sometimes not all the paint will come off. I like to clean them up so the shine with my brass wheel in my bench drill press. Most of my restoration are done like that. I change how I paint them and am looking forward to using the Gun Blue I just got last week. I don't come across many Dinky that have treated bases. I think they are mostly French Dinky anyway., I have a few nice French Dinky but I am not about to restore them. Too nice. in my mind. I might try it on a Rolls Royce though.

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 1 month ago #26

Platinum Boarder
Your base looks great and for screwed in bases it is looking good. I have used screws, mind you not that often, and some have looked like yours. I think they are original Dinky Screws for the Dinky bases that are screwed on.
I got some from Erwin, Dinkyboy here in the site and they are black and he also sent me the taps for them. Too long but that is easy to remedy but the are nice and small, with small head for Allen Key, and Black so blend in with the base.

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 10 months, 2 weeks ago #27

Platinum Boarder
Austin Atlantic - always a nice model for restoration.
Hugh

• Page:
Moderators: andyman7