106 Austin Atlantic Restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group
  • Page:

TOPIC: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration

106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 2 months ago #1

Expert Boarder
<p>A full strip down repair and paint job for the Dinky 106 Austin Atlantic</p>

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 2 months ago #2

Expert Boarder
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 2 months ago by mrjeff.

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 2 months ago #3

Expert Boarder

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 2 months ago #4

Expert Boarder

The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 2 months ago #5

Expert Boarder

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 2 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Great job, lovely model too
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrjeff

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 2 months ago #7

Expert Boarder
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 2 months ago by mrjeff.

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 2 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
How do you clean up your base plates Jeff?

quite bad 'pitting' there"

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 2 months ago #9

Expert Boarder
I either sand blast or soak in caustic soda followed by wire wool. This one was caustic soda but is unfinished at present. I believe it was a varnish originally so I will give another rub with wire wool and see how it looks.

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 2 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
I use the caustic soda a lot too, use paint stripper sometimes also when I do not want to remove every last painted on detail on a model.

Really need to invest in some wire wool though as I have a dremel extension with a wire brush but worry about it scratching the surface too much..

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 2 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Use a brass bristle brush on your dremel and do go fast.
I use Vinegar on my base plates and soak for 24 hours. Takes every thing off including varnish and blueing. I end up with a clean base plate, most times and use a Brass wire brush on my bench drill press. I used to spray them gloss black and then changed to Satin black this year. Now, on my next project, when ever that happens, I am going to try out the Blueing I just bought. My old stuff it just too old and has been frozen a number it times sitting in the garage.
I use Paint stripper as you can't get Caustic Soda like you can get in the UK. Regulated and have to have licenses and permits and take a course or 2 here in Canada before you can even buy it. I has all that years ago and there were 4 or 5 different degrees or grades of Caustic you could get. That is about all I remember other that how to use it and how dangerous it can be. Draino is the closet to Caustic soda we have. LOL, turns every thing very black more so that just Caustic does.

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 2 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Having said all that, Jeff, you have done a great job. Did you heat the window screen to bend it back? The color looks great and spot on to original. You must have a good paint supplier. Where do you get your Caustic as I can't get it anywhere here. I used to have a license to buy it in Kelowna.
Back to the model, I see you paint your axle ends too. I take mine all apart and re peen them back together and polish the axle with emery cloth in my Drill press. Do you use screws or rivets or? for re attaching the base?
Your boxes sure are vivid, what program do you use please? I can never get them like that and I even have the correct board to print on. I am assuming you have a Bubble jet printer too.

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 2 months ago #13

Expert Boarder
I never bend as this usually leads to a break. I gently tap with a light hammer and drift agaist a piece of wood.
No caustic soda as such, Drano works fine.
I will only break an axle if necessary and sometimes polish off the paint from the ends.
4-40 screws.
Photoshop. Ink jet but it is expensive.
I hope I have not missed a question but if I can ask you one, where do you get your card from.

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 2 months ago #14

Expert Boarder
Just found that this is the earlier 140a as the front axle supports are the long ones.
If I can find one that is with short I will post an image to show the difference.

Re: 106 Austin Atlantic Restoration 1 year, 2 months ago #15

Expert Boarder
  • Page:
Moderators: andyman7