Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group

TOPIC: missing repro boxes

Re: missing repro boxes 11 months, 2 weeks ago #61

Platinum Boarder
Used to have a CD which carried Dinky and Corgi boxes to run off. Lent it to someone and can't remember who now!!
You can still get a similar CD on Ebay for about £6 quid. Sometimes sizing can be a bit of a challenge, but the more difficult bit was finding the right sort of card to print on, thickness and colour were the issues. I found file folders in a light buff were ok - but you need to take a micrometer or Vernier when you buy them so as to get the thickness right, otherwise they're too stiiff or too floppy. Once you get the formula right it's fairly easy.

Hugh

Re: missing repro boxes 11 months, 2 weeks ago #62

Platinum Boarder
I have the right card but can't print on it as my printer takes the paper from the bottom and then turns it over for printing. The card will not go around that curve so gets stuck in the printer. I gave up on the DVD's and CD's I bought as all the ones I wanted to print were not to be found on the 4 or 5 I did buy. It also turned out that 3 of the 4 DVD's were pretty much the same. One had 273 Dinky Boxes on it and another has Matchbox, Corgi, French Dinky and a whole bunch of other stuff along with Acrobat Reader and Paint Shop Pro. It also has Dinky and Corgi Price guides but it is old and from 2004 so not much good now and it is all photos from a magazine price guide. It says Model Price Guide and this DVD was put out by 'Smallbargains' I believe from eBay.

Re: missing repro boxes 11 months, 2 weeks ago #63

Platinum Boarder
<p>Nobleco, what card do you use? I am still looking for the right card.</p>

Re: missing repro boxes 11 months, 2 weeks ago #64

Platinum Boarder
I had the problem of my printer not having the right capacity for anything over 90 gsm.

So I use self adhesive matt photo paper in A3 and A4 sizes. This simply is stuck onto the card and then the box is cut out and assembled.

Re: missing repro boxes 11 months, 2 weeks ago #65

Platinum Boarder
<p>That would work and I bet it works really well. Chacca, the card I have I bought in 2009 from a guy in England. Ian Bennett off eBay. I have an email for him. This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it The card is A4 size and advertised as to make Repro Boxes of Matchbox, Dinky and Corgi boxes. It is .4mm or .016 inches thick</p>
Last Edit: 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Nobleco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chaccamacca

Re: missing repro boxes 11 months, 2 weeks ago #66

Platinum Boarder
My measurements of the original Dinky boxes came out to about 0.020" to 0.022". The Dublo Dinky came out to about 0.016" to 0.018" with some of the early boxes as low as 0.014". The A4 card I used was 0.017" and just about went through my printer - when the printer was playing up I printed on paper and used white PVC glue to stick it to the card, I used a small plastic roller (type used on wallpaper joins) to get a good finish especially on the edges. Always left plenty of margin to get a good edge.
A couple of my boxes.

image album upload

Hugh
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, RoutemasterNL

Re: missing repro boxes 11 months, 2 weeks ago #67

Fresh Boarder
Nice work looking great

Re: missing repro boxes 11 months, 2 weeks ago #68

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for your kind words Spider.
One thing I should have mentioned is that using 0.017" thick card for the Dinky as against the original boxes being about 0.021" did leave them lacking in rigidity and some boxes being a little floppy. Doesn't seem like much, a difference 0.004", but it equates to my boxes being almost 20% thinner than the originals.

Hugh
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, chaccamacca

Re: missing repro boxes 11 months, 2 weeks ago #69

Platinum Boarder
<p>I like your boxes, great work. I also try to make the boxes for my Corgi Toys but i'm still looking for the right cardboard.</p>

Re: missing repro boxes 11 months, 1 week ago #70

Platinum Boarder
Hi Chacca, thanks for your kind words. Took me a long time to find the right card - one that would go through my printer - one that was as near as I could get to original thicknes and one with in a light colour so the colours came out well.
Found it in a out of town office equipment and stationery warehouse. Then ordered online if I needed more.
See previous posts, it might help.
Hugh
The following user(s) said Thank You: chaccamacca

Re: missing repro boxes 11 months, 1 week ago #71

Platinum Boarder
I'm still looking for the right cardboard for the boxes for my Corgi Toys. It is clay coated cardboard, grey on one side and white on the site for printing on. What i do now is i print the grey on one site. But i keep looking.

Re: missing repro boxes 11 months, 1 week ago #72

Expert Boarder
Great topic, and an obvious need for the correct material. I use 110lb paper from staples, until I find a reasonable supplier.

But check out this project I am compiling.

mrjeffsplace.com/shoutthenoiz/index.php?...p;homerui=dinkycorgi

I am trying to create a web resource to create box templates. It is a bit untidy presently and may take a few weeks but it is web design fun. The only image I have at the moment for the box front is the Ford Anglia, 155. But box size and text works just for the front. Once this is good, I will add the box top and the ends.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: missing repro boxes 11 months, 1 week ago #73

which Staples part number is this paper.?

Re: missing repro boxes 11 months, 1 week ago #74

Platinum Boarder
image host website

MR Jeff,I hope you can use this. I had it on a cd . A while ago i bought some cd's on ebay. I always use 'paint' to make the prints better.

Re: missing repro boxes 11 months, 1 week ago #75

Platinum Boarder
Item: 490890 Model: 14818-US/CC
This is the 110 lb card stock in the staples where Mr Jeff lives. I also go there for my printers.
Staples Pastel Coloured Card Stock, 8-1/2" x 11", 110 lb, Ivory, 250/Pack
This is #21.99 plus tax Canadian. Link below
www.staples.ca/products/490890-en-staple...110-lb-ivory-250pack
There are many colors but here is the code for White 110 lb card
Item: 1238777 Model: 169855G
JAM Paper Vellum Bristol Index Cardstock, 8.5 x 11, 110lb White, 2 packs of 50 (169855g)
This is $36.79 plus tax Canadian. Link below
www.staples.ca/products/1238777-en-jam-p...-packs-of-50-169855g
Hope that helps you find it in your order book Theo.
Moderators: andyman7