Dinky 38 and 39 Series........a look back
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky 38 and 39 Series........a look back

Dinky 38 and 39 Series........a look back 9 years, 1 month ago #1

Platinum Boarder
For some time I have wanted to do a quick retrospective look back at 2 beloved series that Dinky made....the 38 and 39 series of motor cars. This will be done in 2 parts, first focusing on the 38 series, of which 3 models were introduced in June, 1940: 38a, the Frazer Nash-BMW Sports Car; 38b, the Sunbeam Talbot Sports Car; and 38d, the Alvis Sports Tourer. The remaining 3 models were introduced right after the war, around 1946-1947, and were: 38c, the Lagonda Sports Coupe; 38e, the Armstrong-Siddeley Coupe; and 38f, the Jaguar Sports Car.
This series introduced several important innovations, such as one-piece castings, separate headlamps, tinplate baseplates attached with rivets, plastic windscreens, the name of the vehicle on the bottom, and different colors for the seats and tonneau covers. In his book "History of British Dinky Toys 1934-1964", Cecil Gibson said "these are two of the most important series Dinky or anybody else ever made, and no collection should be without them".
I am fortunate to have a pretty nice example of each one, so here they are, and let's some of these that you have!

This is the Lagonda 38c

d
This is the Alvis 38

This is the Sunbeam-Talbot 38b

This is the Armstrong Siddeley 38e

This is the Frazer Nash-BMW 38a

This is the Jaguar 38f

Re: Dinky 38 and 39 Series........a look back 9 years, 1 month ago #2

Platinum Boarder
This series is for some reason a blank page in my collection, a situation which I intend to correct as the budget allows.

I would just like to clear up one point, when you say one piece casting you are referring of course to the body, four of these would be three pieces in total.

Re: Dinky 38 and 39 Series........a look back 9 years, 1 month ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Dinkydi--
Yes, when I said one-piece casting, it meant the body. Prior to that, the 24 and 36 series cars were all cast in two-pieces....the frame and fenders were one piece, and the body another. Also, in those two series the frames and fenders were the same...each 24 series car shared the same lower portion, and the 36 series shared a similar, but different platform, so in each case, they were almost identical length and the appearance of those lower units was identical. So you had nice models, but the cars looked a lot alike.
Another comment on the 38 series I forgot to mention is the complete absence of any door outlines! I have seldom seen this mentioned, but have not seen it on any other Dinky's....maybe Dinkycollect can add some comments on that!

Re: Dinky 38 and 39 Series........a look back 9 years, 1 month ago #4

Platinum Boarder
some of these had lights that were later inserted.

Re: Dinky 38 and 39 Series........a look back 9 years, 1 month ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Yes, I should have clarified....the only ones in this series that did not have separate headlights inserted later were the Armstrong Siddeley and the Frazer Nash-BMW. My point was the moulding technology that Meccano developed starting with this series was far superior to anything they had done earlier, and the fine detailing visible on this old series shows it.

Re: Dinky 38 and 39 Series........a look back 9 years, 1 month ago #6

Platinum Boarder
agreed.

Re: Dinky 38 and 39 Series........a look back 9 years, 1 month ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Very nice examples of the 38 series models!

These are my favourites too. Especially the yellow Sunbeam-Talbot (on which
chips are easily visible) is superb!

Remarkable that you show a complete series of the
later export versions with the coloured hubs. In my opinion the export models
have these more flimsy, flexible windscreens only, whereas the earlier ones with
black hubs have the sturdier ones, some with silvered frame.

I like these pages of the 1953 export
catalogues very much, the only representations of the 38-models in colour. Curiously the Jaguar
is not with the other five on the back cover, but inside the catalogue in
combination with some quite different Dinky Toys.

It is striking that – however nice the models are –
the outlines of the doors are always wanting. A new characteristic, a first for
the whole series,are the rounded instead of crimped axle ends. In fact the
Lincoln Zephyr of the 39-series was the first one in this respect, that is, the
front wheel axle ends only.

I show you a selection of some 38-favourites of mine:

The Lagonda is certainly my number one

And the Jaguar, the very last to be issued in the range, is a monument too.

The never issued Triumph Dolomite is a story in its own. It was in the pre-war catalogues and the design drawing was changed post-war, but that's all. The picture above is from the 1941 catalogue, showing the models really issued only.

It was replaced post-war by the Armstrong Siddeley. John Hodges of Odgi made the Dolomite in Dinky style in the 1980s. So here they are together. Like the yellow Sunbeam I am also fond of this grey Armstrong Siddeley with silk dark green interior and original white tyres.

And below some 38s in my Display:

Kind regards, Jan Werner
Last Edit: 9 years, 1 month ago by janwerner.

Re: Dinky 38 and 39 Series........a look back 9 years, 1 month ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Jan--
Thanks and lots of nice pictures that you posted also. I think the 38 and 39 series are just lovely models from another era and the detail in the grills, etc is just superb.
Like you, I also really like the colored illustrations in both the 1953 and the 1954 catalogues.
I was very fortunate with that yellow Sunbeam Talbot. I bought it new at a toy store in San Diego around 1958 and it is absolutely perfect.........not a mark anywhere.
I have also wondered about the lack of door markings on this series and notice it first many years ago, but see very few references to it. Since every model is done that way I assume it was intentional.....but why?
Regarding the windscreens.....since I live in the US, I only have export versions of these models....which is also why they all have colored wheels. I have seen pictures of the silvered windscreens, but did not know they were sturdier. Mine have all survived very well so far!
Since you wrote, I am going ahead and doing another post on the 39 series and would love your comments and additional pictures on those as well.
Thanks and take care!

Terry

Re: Dinky 38 and 39 Series........a look back 9 years ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Terry, I mean that the earlier windscreens are sturdy (but if hit they break) - the later (export) ones are more flimsy, but flexible and just do bend (and do not break, so, indeed they survive well!).
Looking forward to your 39 post!

Kinds regards, Jan Werner

Re: Dinky 38 and 39 Series........a look back 9 years ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Here is the difference. See the green one with the ridge for the silvered frame, a little piece broken off. The grey one has the felexible window bent backwards (so often seen with these windows), but intact.

Kind regards, Jan

Re: Dinky 38 and 39 Series........a look back 9 years ago #11

Platinum Boarder
These do take their toll when played with. I have also noticed that some screens are thicker than others. Thanks for clarifying that for me, Jan. The replacement screens I get are of the thinner more flexible style and I can get them all.

Re: Dinky 38 and 39 Series........a look back 9 years ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Jan--
Thanks for the pictures showing the difference in the windscreens. I have never had the chance to look at one of the silvered ones, but they sure look more realistic. Is there a small ridge running around the edge that they painted?

Terry

Re: Dinky 38 and 39 Series........a look back 9 years ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Yes the ridge is a kind of recess in the window's frame. The one I show on the green Lagonda is unpainted, but once I had a Frazer Nash with the silver painted edge. You will never find that feature on the later export models in my opinion.

Kind regards, Jan

Re: Dinky 38 and 39 Series........a look back 8 years, 11 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
I bought an Armstrong Siddeley with black hubs and the silver framed screen. Most of the silver has disappeared and it seems to have been sun affected as it's quite orange.

It shows some slight playwear but since this is my first 38 series I am really chuffed.

Are the black hubs the earlier or later version ?

Re: Dinky 38 and 39 Series........a look back 8 years, 11 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
The black hubs are the early ones.
  • Page:
Moderators: andyman7