Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group

TOPIC: Display cabinet

Re: Display cabinet 5 years, 7 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
See above edit, sorry for that.

Re: Display cabinet 5 years, 7 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
Sorry for the delayed response,
that toy collector's group is Canadian Toy Collector's Society at www.ctcs.org/ctcshp.htm
They are based here in Ontario (welcome from Ontario by the way )
I also know a dealer out here that may be interested.
You could reach out to them as I am sure they would know of collectors who would be interested.

Feel free to send me pictures as well at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it as I would be interested as well (depending on price and postage of course)
Cheers!
Shane

Re: Display cabinet 5 years, 7 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Shane, I had lost there site address in a crash last year. I don't belong but have a number of their members buying parts from me.

Re: Display cabinet 5 years, 7 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
I have no direct contact with them, but the dealer friend of mine is a member and goes to their regular meets. They host an annual show/market for diecast dealers, collectors, buyers that I do attend.

Re: Display cabinet 5 years, 7 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
So I have heard and I believe they are the only club like it in Canada.

Re: Display cabinet 5 years, 7 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
the past couple years there has been another toy fair in the Toronto area hosted by Global Asset Solutions. It has no ties with Canadian Toy Collector's Society and I think there is even some conflict there. Canadian Toy Collector's Society website lists various smaller toy swaps and sales events throughout the year for the southern Ontario region, but their calendar never lists the Global Asset Solutions show. I assume they don't want you to know about them. However, many of the same vendors from the Canadian Toy Collector's Society show are also at the Global Asset Solutions show.
The past few years, neither have impressed me. You have to pay to get in which annoys me. I have to pay to spend money ?????? They have an early bird time if you want to pay the additional fee. So people who have more money get first picks on items for sale? Not fair. The vendors all seem to think their items are worth their weight in gold. Despite a long list of negative issues with ebay, ebay still has better selection and often prices (including shipping). Year after year I see the same vendors with the same product.

Re: Display cabinet 5 years, 7 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
<p>That is the problem these days ever since the advent of eBay and other like sites. At first the prices were reasonable even cheap. Now, due to the internet, everyone thinks they have a very rare Dinky or Corgi even Matchbox and others are over valued. I went to one a number of years ago on Vancouver Island. Never again. Too much money spent just to get there and back let alone the price to enter and the cost of the toys, I could have spent over $2000 and come away with what, 10 or 12 toys??? Not worth it. If I see a place on the highway in my travels around the province (going over to the east today to Canadian Tire in Castlegar, they have a sale and it is the same drive distance as going to the Okanagan) I stop at yard sales and flea markets when I see them. The garage sales are the best as most people just look at them as toys and sell them cheap. Flea markets can be up and down. There is no collectors club or other similar clubs here in BC that I have been able to find so....Planet Diecast and eBay work for me. Bide you time and the model you want at the price you willing to pay will come up. I got a Foden MobileGas tanker for less than $85 including shipping last fall. Great deal as only the decals show wear from playing. Perfect.
</p>
Last Edit: 5 years, 7 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Display cabinet 5 years, 7 months ago #23

Fresh Boarder
<p>Photos of my display cabinet...</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Any interest?</p>
<p> </p>
Last Edit: 5 years, 7 months ago by lnicol73.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: Display cabinet 5 years, 7 months ago #24

Junior Boarder
<p>That is just wonderful -- I wish there were a way to get it to California. I'd love to add it to my collection of other original Dinky display cases.</p>
<p> </p>
Last Edit: 5 years, 7 months ago by johnnyangel.

Re: Display cabinet 5 years, 7 months ago #25

Platinum Boarder
This is a great piece of nostalgia , looking at it I am guessing that it is late 60's to very early 70's , when Dinky had their "hard" plastic display boxes as the ford Zodiac Mk4 came in , lovely to see.

Re: Display cabinet 5 years, 7 months ago #26

Platinum Boarder
That is a very nice cabinet and I am sure it is worth quite a few bucks. Toy fairs may be the best place to sell it rather than an auction house. I to would love to have this but shipping to Canada would be way too much. I should build one for myself. I could get a local printer company to make the Dinky Sign and I could build the cabinet. Glass shop for the glass and hardware store for the hardware. Couple hundred dollars at the most.

Re: Display cabinet 5 years, 7 months ago #27

Junior Boarder
<p>If I understood correctly this case is already IN Canada. I wish it were down south!!</p>
<p>Yes, one could build one, but there's something special about a genuine display case that was actually used to sell Dinky Toys. I have four that came from toy shops, one I got from the (then) U.S. Dinky distributor, and one from England that was never used and came via an auction. (It has a fun label on it stating "property of Meccano Ltd.")</p>

Re: Display cabinet 5 years, 7 months ago #28

would love to seeing some photos of them

Re: Display cabinet 5 years, 7 months ago #29

Platinum Boarder
<p>If they can't post pictures by following the www.Postimage.org instructions then send them to me at (email removed) and I would be happy to post them here for them. Jim</p>
Last Edit: 5 years, 7 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Display cabinet 5 years, 7 months ago #30

Fresh Boarder
<p>Yes, the cabinet is in Canada! Winnipeg, Manitoba to be exact!</p>
Moderators: andyman7