Dinky Toys motorised moving dispaly
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky Toys motorised moving dispaly

Dinky Toys motorised moving dispaly 4 years, 2 months ago #1

Expert Boarder
As a child (around 1952) i saw in Bentalls department store (Kingston Surrey UK) a motorised Dinky Toys display = very large with many Dinky Toys moving around a road type layout

I believe this to have been an official product display by Meccano and on loan to the store.

Does anyone else remember this type of display ? Does one still exist ? does anyone have a photo ?

Re: Dinky Toys motorised moving dispaly 4 years, 2 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
There used to be a few around in antique shops.
One shop used a turntable from a record player to make it go around

Re: Dinky Toys motorised moving dispaly 4 years, 2 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Hi Julian, is this the one you mean?

This is the back cover illustration of the August 1955 issue of Meccano Magazine. A report by the board of Directors of Meccano explains that it was also demonstrated in 1956. Kind regards, Jan
Last Edit: 4 years, 2 months ago by janwerner.

Re: Dinky Toys motorised moving dispaly 4 years, 2 months ago #4

Expert Boarder
Hello Jan

Yes thats it !  Many thanks - itys amazing to get this info so quickly. !

Thanks again.

Re: Dinky Toys motorised moving dispaly 4 years, 2 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
WOW, that is amazing!

Re: Dinky Toys motorised moving dispaly 4 years, 2 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
In August 1998, by shuttle service on my way from Manhattan, through the Lincoln Tunnel, to Newark international airport, I was amazed about what I saw when leaving the tunnel. Where had I seen this before? Then I suddenly realized, and I immediately had the feeling of sitting in a Dinky Toy. An incredible experience! A Google earth 3D view below. Kind regards, Jan 

Last Edit: 4 years, 2 months ago by janwerner.

Re: Dinky Toys motorised moving dispaly 4 years, 2 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Would there be any chance that this display still survives some where?  it would be fantastic if it did.
  • Page:
Moderators: andyman7