To fix - or not to fix? Dinky 548.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group
  • Page:

TOPIC: To fix - or not to fix? Dinky 548.

Re: To fix - or not to fix? Dinky 548. 4 years, 3 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
Not sure if i have captured it too well but below are a couple of pictures of the roof of my 548 Fiat. Ignoring the paint chips, the roof does not look as smooth as I would expect from spray painting but I think this is the original finish.

As your example does not look too bad I would be very tempted to keep it original.  I also think the two tone paint would be quite difficult to do well

Re: To fix - or not to fix? Dinky 548. 4 years, 3 months ago #17

Senior Boarder
Thanks Distant Subscriber,

for a while I thought my car was in an original condition. Dinky didn t get those black roofs right. But now I have looked closer at the car and my first impression was correct. It is painted with a brush.

So I will fix this car, including the roof, without opening it. If the result isn t good enough I can always make a total renovation. If I make a renovation directly and fail to make it good enough, the only option remaining would be to send it to a professional.

Re: To fix - or not to fix? Dinky 548. 4 years, 3 months ago #18

Senior Boarder
Keesie,

yes the Road Rover. Many years ahead of its time. What a collectors item that would have been if Corgi had launched it, but not Rover. The variations could have been police, fire dpt and military of course. But also the first Surfing car with Bondi Beach transfers and a female surfer.

When I was looking for this image, I also found Corgi images. Yours I presume. Very impressive !!!

Re: To fix - or not to fix? Dinky 548. 4 years, 3 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
Hi Caramulo,

Thanks for those compliments. Yes, the images of the light-blue road Rover with red roof you find on  the net are mine. There are also a lot of my makings on HobbyDB.

Indeed I thought of making more variations of that Road Rover, but the model itself took so much time to make, doing a second one would 'block' the other things I do. Besides, doing a unique model, and then doing a second one, does not work out mostly. Here that Road Rover......

Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by Keesie.

Re: To fix - or not to fix? Dinky 548. 4 years, 3 months ago #20

Senior Boarder
Keesie,

I know you value your cars in more ways than just the monetary one, but this 212 must be worth a substantial amount of money. It is not a code 3, it must be a code 4 or something. So it makes sense from many perspectives not to make another item. A Mostest suddenly looks like an everyday toy. There must be hundreds of them picking up dust...

And as they say on Antiques Roadshow " Nice to know, but I will never sell it." I guess.

It is easy to understand why you feel rich when you take a look in your cupboard. It must feel good.
  • Page:
Moderators: andyman7