Rare 25c Flat Bed Truck?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rare 25c Flat Bed Truck?

Rare 25c Flat Bed Truck? 4 years, 4 months ago #1

Fresh Boarder
Finally got round to sorting through the crates of Dinkies I have bought over the last 20 years or so and came across this one which I cannot find info. on.

I have scoured this site and others, plus Google, plus my "Dinky Bible" and eBay etc. etc. but no joy.

It is I think a Type 2, but the odd thing is that the headboard is 20mm high and so sticks over the top of the cab by some 4mm. Sadly, it is suffering from metal fatigue, but as far as I can see it is unique?

Unless of course, someone out there knows better. 

Thank you for any guidance please

The IM

Re: Rare 25c Flat Bed Truck? 4 years, 4 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Would really be nice to see this one. I have restored a full set of these trucks and don't remember seeing one with a tall head board. I picture would help me to see what your talking about and help others to determine if it is original or maybe a different deck was put on it by a previous owner. These things do happen.

Welcome to the site from BC Canada and hope you can get a picture up for us. We really like pictures here.
Jim
Dinky 25c Flat Truck Restored. Cab and deck are one piece, is yours?

Dinky 25a wagon

Here is the full line.

Only thing I can see that you might have is a broken Market Gardener's Truck. If the cage on the back was broken enough and someone took it off to make it into a Flat Truck with High head board. Here is one I restored.

This could be the only explanation. I think Highly Probable.
Last Edit: 4 years, 4 months ago by Nobleco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: theinkmonitor

Re: Rare 25c Flat Bed Truck? 4 years, 4 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
If your model is suffering from severe fatigue indeed, it is most probable that the lattice has perished and the head board remained. Welcome and kind regards, Jan 

Last Edit: 4 years, 4 months ago by janwerner.

Re: Rare 25c Flat Bed Truck? 4 years, 4 months ago #4

Fresh Boarder
Ah yes, didn't think of that - it being possible market garden/farm truck with no lattice. I will have to check it out carefully as it is definitely all one piece and has not been added.

Will add photo either way.

I had to smile at the page 13 you posted as that is from what I call my "Dinky Bible", and love the other photos of your models, thank you.

And thank you for your welcome. :>)
Last Edit: 4 years, 4 months ago by theinkmonitor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Rare 25c Flat Bed Truck? 4 years, 4 months ago #5

Fresh Boarder
Thank you for your prompt reply and welcome, and great photos. I will try and get one posted as soon as I can of the one I speak of.

Re: Rare 25c Flat Bed Truck? 4 years, 4 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I saw exactly that at a local exhibition, a 25f Market Gardener's Truck modified and restored with the lattice work removed but the headboard left in situ, Spoke to the owner who said that the lattice work was damaged/dented beyond reasonable repair when he got it and so decided to modify and restore it as a one off. The most difficult part was he said blending the edges in with the main bodywork using needle files. But - as the bald man said to the wigmaker- you couldn't see the join.

Don't have a shot of it but here's my 25f.

Hugh

Re: Rare 25c Flat Bed Truck? 4 years, 4 months ago #7

Junior Boarder
Nice restauration

Re: Rare 25c Flat Bed Truck? 4 years, 4 months ago #8

Fresh Boarder
There you go and hope these have uploaded OK and YES! (Darn it!) it is a modified Market Garden one - Curses, and there was me thinking I had summat very rare. :>(

I suppose the grey mist descended and I was blind to the obvious, which you can see with the close up - the remnants of the lattice work.

As  you will also see, remarkably the original grillle/rad/headlight arrangement remains intact!

Re: Rare 25c Flat Bed Truck? 4 years, 4 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Thank's for the stunning pictures.

I have seen plenty of fatigued Dinky Toys in my time, but that is extreme and I can not help get the feeling it may be a 'Forced Fatigue' maybe for a diorama or a special display, because to me there is too much damage in all areas, not just at the natural stress points!!

Rollerman.

Re: Rare 25c Flat Bed Truck? 4 years, 4 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
I agree, good diorama piece. Seems top be sand blasted looking at the underside. Paint stripper maybe? seems like you say, too distressed in to many places.

Re: Rare 25c Flat Bed Truck? 4 years, 4 months ago #11

Fresh Boarder
"Forced Fatigue" and "good diorama" piece? Not sure what you mean. Are you saying it was done deliberately to make a point in a display? That's interesting.

Re: Rare 25c Flat Bed Truck? 4 years, 4 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Yes, that is basically what he is saying. There are lots of folks out there doing just that. Search for Diorama on the site or on Google and you would be amazed at what people do with Brand New and Old models for dioramas.

Re: Rare 25c Flat Bed Truck? 4 years, 4 months ago #13

Fresh Boarder
I wonder now looking at it, if it had been set on fire.

By the way, I forgot to check - you see the underside, so is it a Type 2 as I think that is the way to distinguish them?

Thank you :>)

Re: Rare 25c Flat Bed Truck? 4 years, 4 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Paint stripper is certainly feasable and Fire damage is certainly feasable, which if it has been subjected to Fire, the tyres would have perished if they were on the model at the time, so the tyres now fitted may have been put on purely for the purpose of placing the model into a display or diorama setting.

Rollerman.

Re: Rare 25c Flat Bed Truck? 4 years, 4 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Base plates is the way to tell the three types from each other. I did a write up on them in the Restoration Threads if you want to take a look. I showed the three and compared the differences, one being the over all length and the axle alignment.
  • Page:
Moderators: andyman7