Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky Car Transporter

Dinky Car Transporter 4 years, 4 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
I just got this car transporter 982 with trailer. The first owner displayed it on a window sill ; the red is a bit faded, but still very nice.

It picked up a load of Austins. Amazing is the way the trailer is loaded.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RVREVO, RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky Car Transporter 4 years, 4 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Yup, got to like that model and the loading. Nice shape even if it is faded.

Re: Dinky Car Transporter 4 years, 4 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
A most excellent model to collect.

Recently added an iriginal box to my small collection and made my own yellow inserts.

Faded is ok. Its so nice to see another one.

Re: Dinky Car Transporter 4 years, 4 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
blackstone wrote:
I just got this car transporter 982 with trailer. The first owner displayed it on a window sill ; the red is a bit faded, but still very nice.

both are 983, truck is 984, trailer is 985

982 is actually the blue bedford pulmore

hope that helps

-
Last Edit: 4 years, 4 months ago by RVREVO.

Re: Dinky Car Transporter 4 years, 4 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Dan Toys have reproduced this model (just the truck AFAIK} 1500 made of each colour.

Re: Dinky Car Transporter 4 years, 4 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
How much do they cost?

Re: Dinky Car Transporter 4 years, 4 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Just over $A100
Last Edit: 4 years, 4 months ago by Dinkydi.

Re: Dinky Car Transporter 4 years, 4 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Although I prefer the real Dinky Toys I must admit that these really look great. It must have been quite  a challenge to accurately reproducing the complicated lifting mechanism for the upper deck. The real Dinky Supertoy was made of aluminium for a substantial part. I wonder how Dan-Toys did this, or is the weight of these reproductions considerably higher? Kind regards, Jan
The following user(s) said Thank You: RVREVO

Re: Dinky Car Transporter 4 years, 4 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
yes, totally agree. prefer the original Dinky.

Re: Dinky Car Transporter 4 years, 2 months ago #10

Gold Boarder
I rather like the original, and its' modern-day re-creation!

Re: Dinky Car Transporter 4 years, 2 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Oxford Diecast makes a nice model in 1:64 or 1:87 on this truck, trailer and the Land Rovers on top.

Re: Dinky Car Transporter 4 years, 2 months ago #12

Gold Boarder
Hi Jim, You're right, but it is in 1/76 scale. I scratchbuilt a model of the outfit some years earlier in brass after speaking to the man who built the full-size replica, as in the photograph. The Land Rovers were built from BW Models whitemetal kits. Oxford's people studied my model at a show, and released their version some time later. I had given them contact details for the chap who built the big one, and they copied that. If you notice, the original one, Dinky's model and my scratchbuild all have a flatter top deck than the modern recreation. That one was built with a more steeply-angled top deck to allow the owners' hardtop Land Rovers to be carried below, whereas the original was built to carry soft-tops with the screens and tops folded down. The Oxford lorry correctly copies the real modern replica, and the trailer is a good representation of the original one, but in reality the two (as modelled) were never seen together. The original combination was a one-off, and in later years the side panelling was removed and the trailer dispensed with.

Re: Dinky Car Transporter 4 years, 2 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
What a nice find. I even think the paint can be restored, but...

Some years ago I bought a red Corgi or Dinky that had faded like this - I don't remember exactly what it was, but either a Volvo 1800 or Citroën DS. I decided to see what would happen if I applied a bit of grinding paste (for cars) and carefully rubbed it. The result was more than I'd ever dared hope for and soon the faded paint looked like new again.

Of course, with your transporter, the decals are a problem. I don't know if it will be possible to work around them if you use cotton on a toothpick, for example?

Re: Dinky Car Transporter 4 years, 2 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
As teebodk mentioned "paint rubbing compound" (as I have always called it) can work wonders but working around the decals will be a problem. You also have to be careful with the paint thickness as the compound can take the paint down to the metal if you are not careful.

Regardless, it looks fantastic the way it is. I love this model. And I like the load you placed on it

Re: Dinky Car Transporter 4 years, 2 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Hopefully this may help. In the U.K. there is a product 'T cut' it is purpose made 'paste' to restore paint. It also polishes bare metal well. I have had the tube pictured for several years. Obviously you only use a microscopic amount. I feel sure your local motor factors will have something similar. Auto Solvosol is another similar/same product.

H.T.H.

Terry

• Page:
Moderators: andyman7