Dinky Road Signs No.47 - How to tell for sure?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky Road Signs No.47 - How to tell for sure?

Dinky Road Signs No.47 - How to tell for sure? 4 years, 5 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
I have a couple of sets of road signs No. 47 both of which I believe to be post war.

However, I consistently see on eBay sets which are advertised as being pre-war which don't look any different to my sets. Of course having said they are pre-war the seller jacks up the price!

The understanding seems to be: White Base=Pre-War : Black Base= Post-War : Solid Triangles= Pre-War : Open Triangles= Post-War : 30mph sign was only issued post-war in set No.47. This detail is taken from Mike & Sue Richardson's book.

The post-war sets made for the US market via H.Hudson of New York had (I understand) white bases and solid triangles!!!!. I believe that the pre-war box was yellow and the post-war box was brown (card colour) over a white box with a yellow label.

With all that lot thrown in together does anyone have a definitive answer as to what is pre and what is post war??

Sorry about the photographs. Thanks.

Hugh

Re: Dinky Road Signs No.47 - How to tell for sure? 4 years, 5 months ago #2

They look fantastic, your sets of road signs. I cannot answer your questions Hugh, sorry. Perhaps Jan Werner knows.

Re: Dinky Road Signs No.47 - How to tell for sure? 4 years, 5 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Hello Hugh, I presume reading the following thread of the (static) talkmodeltoys forum may offer you sufficient information!

www.talkmodeltoys.com/discus/messages/27...7423.html?1259842675

Kind regards, Jan
Last Edit: 4 years, 5 months ago by janwerner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky Road Signs No.47 - How to tell for sure? 4 years, 5 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Hello Jan - thank you so much for the link, there's certainly plenty to take in and I was surprised by the number of model/box variations that were issued. There is , I think, a degree of confusion among many sellers when it comes to what is and isn't pre/post war which may result in box and model mix and match.

With kind regards

Hugh

Re: Dinky Road Signs No.47 - How to tell for sure? 4 years, 5 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I too have no idea on these but just wanted to add that they are lovely!

Re: Dinky Road Signs No.47 - How to tell for sure? 4 years, 5 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
The link that Jan very kindly gave is first class and really does set the ground rules for establishing the provenance of the No.47 Road Sign Set.

The related confusion that seems to exist with these sets does appear to be quite widespread. I did a recent audit of some sets that were advertised and the results were quite remarkable as the attachments show.

Hugh

Described as post war - had a yellow label on box end.

Described as pre war with same yellow label on box end.

Described as pre war with same yellow label.

Described as US export pre war with yellow label but no Hudson label.

Re: Dinky Road Signs No.47 - How to tell for sure? 4 years, 5 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Found one more.

Hugh

Described as US post war issue 1950's. Yellow label and Hudson sticker were in place. (Nice set)

Re: Dinky Road Signs No.47 - How to tell for sure? 4 years, 5 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Hi, here are two pics of my example: plain box lid with yellow sticker on one side, white underbox, filled in triangles and painted white under bases. There is a stamp on the sticker, but unreadable for me. The information in several sources is confusing every now and then. I have dated this one simply 1948-1950 in my catalogue.
I don't know which is the official arrangement of the signs. I must have adjusted it some time, because there are some years in between the two shots.

The official numbering is:

47e ‘30 Mile Limit’ Sign.
47f ‘Derestriction’ Sign.
47g ‘School’ Sign.
47h ‘Steep Hill’ Sign.
47k ‘Bend’ Sign.
47m Left Hand ‘Corner’ Sign.
47n Right Hand ‘Corner’ Sign.
47p ‘Road Junction’ Sign.
47q ‘No Entry’ Sign.
47r ‘Major Road Ahead’ Sign.
47s ‘Crossing. No Gates’ Sign.
47t ‘Round-About’ Sign.

Kind regards, Jan

Last Edit: 4 years, 5 months ago by janwerner.

Re: Dinky Road Signs No.47 - How to tell for sure? 4 years, 5 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Jan - what an absolutely cracking set, very crisp. I dated my sets as 1946-1948 and I'm unsure if there was any official arrangement of the signs.

I think the a to e series individually were deleted in 1941 but available as No.47 set until 1954 then renumbered 770 - not sure where the US edition fits in here??

I'm still not altogether clear on the dates!?

Hugh

Re: Dinky Road Signs No.47 - How to tell for sure? 4 years, 4 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
There seems to be no end to the various interpretations of this set!

Came across one that was listed as a pre-war U.S. export issue although it didn't seem to have the H Hudson of New York label attached to it. It said it could be recognised from the UK by filled in red triangles and white under base. Also described the speed    derestriction sign (47f) as "mega" rare????

Set outlined as VN MIB then further down as good+ to excellent. Priced at £285.00

Re: Dinky Road Signs No.47 - How to tell for sure? 4 years, 4 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Looks 'ordinary' post-war to me - and the price is ridiculous in my opinion. Mine, in a better condition, cost far, far less. The U.S. provenance statement may have been derived from Ramsay's. Kind regards, Jan
Last Edit: 4 years, 4 months ago by janwerner.
  • Page:
Moderators: andyman7